GDT: Game 23: Columbus vs. Edmonton | 3/5 7:00 PM EST

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It's the same way on the main boards, with people talking about how Ilya Kovalchuk "changed his game". He did no such thing; the only difference is that fans of Atlantic Division teams got to see him on a regular basis, and we all know that anything in the vicinity of New York is automatically the best of everything that could ever exist.

Are you trying to say that Kovalchuk wasn't forced to become a defensively responsible forward in NJ? I disagree. You play defense for the Devils wether you want to or not. Thats just the way it is. He was a floater when he was in Atlanta.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's the same way on the main boards, with people talking about how Ilya Kovalchuk "changed his game". He did no such thing; the only difference is that fans of Atlantic Division teams got to see him on a regular basis, and we all know that anything in the vicinity of New York is automatically the best of everything that could ever exist.

Nash really is better this year. (In addition to those Ranger fans being way off the mark). The way I see it, with Columbus Nash would once or twice a game bring you out of your seat with his skill. Of the 7 or 8 Ranger games I've seen this year, he does something amazing every other shift.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm surprised with so many comments concerned about winning jeopardizing draft position.... clearly few have researched the Blue Jacket history in drafting high...

Other than Klesla and Nash top CBJ draft picks have impacted the organization little..

Play to win! Every game! Think of the guys on the ice, they want to win regardless of the draft, as it should be.

You have this completely backwards! People are concerned about draft position because on average there is a significant difference in talent between players you can acquire at 1st overall (Nash) and 6th overall (Brassard). The reason we really only had one (Nash) impact the organization was because he was the only talent we took at #1! But "..clearly few have researched the Blue Jacket history in drafting high..".

I'm a bit nervous about draft position, but for the team the mission is clear: the coach and the players work their butts off each and every game. The GM will do a fire sale if we are in between the basement and the playoffs to make sure we don't get another 6th-8th tweener pick.

The only tricky spot is if we are on the playoff bubble (within 5 pts of 8th seed) at the deadline. Then you can't sell off key pieces without the risk of killing the team spirit we have been building.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What I saw tonight was a Jacket team determined to win.... ton of desire (heart) out there...

Yep. Kinda a new thing, even after Mason took the wind out of their sails.

Mason seems to be the outlier and I know JD is thinking the same thing we are...

Said the same about Mason a week ago when he was playing well, that he's still the only player who can suck the life out of the team. I wish he had proven me wrong but he did it in his last game too. That said, you don't "know" Davidson is thinking the same, it just makes sense that he would, or you would think he's thinking the same. Unless you asked him from your seat in the CBJ box?

To be honest, I've never been a play for the draft guy.... winning now will produce more wins next season than any first round pick, other than Gretzky or Crosby...

I have argued this and still believe it today. I prefer to see wins and believe the can build something through them. But it's hard to argue with those who say it hasn't worked out so well in the past.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I was at the game last night and other than Mase's performance, what a fun game to watch.

I want to say this, though. Up until last night, Mase and Bob were pretty much neck and neck in how they were playing. I am not going to sit here and declare that Bob is my guy because I was also at the last Dallas game, and quite frankly, Bob was not very good in that one. Not good at all.

Every goaltender is going to throw a stinker out there on occasion. The problem for Mase is that the past few seasons far to many games were stinkers. So he has one bad one, and BOOM, he's the Mase we grew to hate.

I still want to see what both of these guys are going to do the rest of the way. Mase may come out and play brilliantly in his next start. It has happened before.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Let me be the first to say that Richards made a brilliant move pulling Mason. I was surprised it was so early, until I noticed the SOG (stopped 5/8). Bob was outstanding last night.
Great effort by the boys, well played.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
One other thing. I thought Umberger played a very good game last night. As a matter of fact, I think Umby has played noticeably better in the past three games.

Hopefully he is now out of his funk.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
One other thing. I thought Umberger played a very good game last night. As a matter of fact, I think Umby has played noticeably better in the past three games.

Hopefully he is now out of his funk.

I've been saying this the last few weeks. Umby has stepped up his game. You gotta love the way Erixon is playing, he is our best defender right now.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
... I prefer to see wins and believe the can build something through them. But it's hard to argue with those who say it hasn't worked out so well in the past.

As Bob pointed out, the player must play to win every game and, as a fan, I want to see every game a win, too. I suppose the best scenario is for the Jackets to continue their recent string of strong play and occasional wins and rise to the 9 seed, just out of the playoffs. Then win the lottery! They lost it with 48% chance, or so. Win it with 2% or whatever it is!

As for their draft record, I expect that to improve with the new leadership.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Great win, even with the starting goalie having a terrible night (shake it off Mase) we come away with 2. The first 10 minutes we looked sluggish, but the last 50 was good effort at both ends. Tough break for Calvert, last time I saw a CBJ get slapped with that penalty it was #11 again (Dineed fighting Thornton without his jersey strapped).

As for the #1 pick... if you've watched this team play the last 10 games, you know we aren't going to end the season in last place. This team isn't that bad guys. We've played CHI even in 3 games, outplayed the Wings, etc. We've lost alot of 1 goal games. The good news is, the lottery has been revamped and the 4 spot limitation on rising in order is not longer in place. The last place team has roughly half the odds of getting the #1 than they did last year as I understand it now.

BlueJacket2

Feb 26, 2012
Just got done watching the game. I had to work late last night.

I am starting to think a little better about the Nash trade. Erixon is improving and gaining confidence every single shift. Dude is a stud.

I was let down with Mason. He had been looking pretty sharp in recent games (most of them). And Bob looked tremendous and this game might have solidified him closer to being our #1 for the remainder of the season.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
We are obviously a downtrodden bunch of losers, but reading the Oil GDT/PGT made me feel much better about us! They put together a total of 50 pages of relentless woe equal to the lowest of our low brethren. Wow (and they even have a winning history to fall back on)!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
As for the #1 pick... if you've watched this team play the last 10 games, you know we aren't going to end the season in last place. This team isn't that bad guys. We've played CHI even in 3 games, outplayed the Wings, etc. We've lost alot of 1 goal games. The good news is, the lottery has been revamped and the 4 spot limitation on rising in order is not longer in place. The last place team has roughly half the odds of getting the #1 than they did last year as I understand it now.

I think you're right

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
We need two wingers with the same skill set, heart, creativity and hockey IQ.

It's true; the Jackets do need two more skilled forwards... Sort of contrary to that I was thinking the other day how amazing it is that the Rangers with guys like Nash, Gaborik (both top picks who starred on their drafting teams), Richards, Stepan Callahan and more are only 8th seeded..

It will take more than just two skilled forwards to win a playoff round, better goaltending and defense will be needed as well, but one thing is for sure, a team can't win if they can't score.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's true; the Jackets do need two more skilled forwards... Sort of contrary to that I was thinking the other day how amazing it is that the Rangers with guys like Nash, Gaborik (both top picks who starred on their drafting teams), Richards, Stepan Callahan and more are only 8th seeded..

It will take more than just two skilled forwards to win a playoff round, better goaltending and defense will be needed as well, but one thing is for sure, a team can't win if they can't score.

I agree with you Robert.

Team dynamics are so complex and are subjected to factors ranging from history over multiple seasons to what happened just last week.

For instance, even the best rosters can be non-playoff teams if their coach isn't "good." Even a "great" coach can lead his team to an exit in March if his team isn't properly composed.

A silver lining of Ryan Murray being out this year is that he doesn't have to worry about not being able to count on the forwards. His game is one of positioning and puck distribution, a role which requires he is a leader and trusts his teammates. His puck distribution is going to be hurt if he learns early on that passing to a teammate usually results in a turnover or an inability to finish. It's a worry I have with Johansen who is making nifty plays every night but is rarely being rewarded (his only reward seems to come from Prospal and potentially Atkinson). If Murray comes in at the same time as, say, Mackinnon or Drouin that will obviously affect his play.

That doesn't even factor in the nightmare that is goaltending. Goaltending is an X factor that can either sink your team or raise it up on a nightly basis. And it's so inconsistent that even real good goaltenders can look like rookies once in a while and bad goalies can look like Vezina finalists.

Have I mentioned injury status yet? No? Ok well an NHL team has any number of injury concerns occurring every night. Guys are coming in and out of the roster on a regular basis to the point where playing all 82 games is a rarity. If a player is playing injured that obviously affects his game, but it also affects everyone else on the roster. Guys have to tackle more minutes and play with new partners.

Really I can't even begin to comprehend all of the factors that affect team performance. But without skill there isn't much hope is there.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Said the same about Mason a week ago when he was playing well, that he's still the only player who can suck the life out of the team. I wish he had proven me wrong but he did it in his last game too. That said, you don't "know" Davidson is thinking the same, it just makes sense that he would, or you would think he's thinking the same. Unless you asked him from your seat in the CBJ box?

Common-sense is the context in which I used the word, had I spoken to JD I would have jumped at the chance to reference it….. That said, you and Webster got it right, I was basing the word “know†on the concept of "sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts." Thanks for clearing that up DSL…

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Common-sense is the context in which I used the word, had I spoken to JD I would have jumped at the chance to reference it….. That said, you and Webster got it right, I was basing the word “know†on the concept of "sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts." Thanks for clearing that up DSL…

Truth is I was hoping you had!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Great win, even with the starting goalie having a terrible night (shake it off Mase) we come away with 2. The first 10 minutes we looked sluggish, but the last 50 was good effort at both ends. Tough break for Calvert, last time I saw a CBJ get slapped with that penalty it was #11 again (Dineed fighting Thornton without his jersey strapped).

Just for argument sake:

But the last place team can't pick worse than Jones/Mackinnon

I think the next bunch of games (5) with Vancouver twice, Detroit twice and Chicago will give us a real good idea how far we have come. 4 of the 5 are at home so to me anything less than 6 points will tell us we have a way to go. Possibly we could go 0-fer, not likely but possible. It will be interesting. I'm not sure where my hopes lie. I just cringe at the thought of winning enough to get the 8th pick or so. On the other hand I appreciate what these guys are doing and want them to do well. 2nd half will be an emotional roller coaster.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Just for argument sake:

I think the next bunch of games (5) with Vancouver twice, Detroit twice and Chicago will give us a real good idea how far we have come. 4 of the 5 are at home so to me anything less than 6 points will tell us we have a way to go. Possibly we could go 0-fer, not likely but possible. It will be interesting. I'm not sure where my hopes lie. I just cringe at the thought of winning enough to get the 8th pick or so. On the other hand I appreciate what these guys are doing and want them to do well. 2nd half will be an emotional roller coaster.

Given your penchant for high draft picks, I congratulate you on a most honest and interesting post.

:cheers:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Just for argument sake:

We're gonna beat Detroit again. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad