PGT: Game 2: United States 2 - Slovakia 1

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
How was Hughes?

Edit: was he actually that bad or are the people in this thread just really biased?

If you mean Jack Hughes well its all in a matter of what your expectations for him were. In fact this entire year he's had to battle against unreasonable expectations because he was erroneously labeled as a generational player by certain media personalities. He is an undersized 17 year old player in a 19 year old tournament and he is holding his own. He showed his offensive dynamism last night but also his lack of defensive acumen and he had a lot of difficulty with the physical play. In short everything you would expect from a 17 year old player in a 19 year old tournament. Jack Hughes is not a special player like a Craig Button is trying to make him out to be. He is, however, one of the top 2001 players in the world who is odds on favorite to go first over-all in this year's entry draft and we should all keep our expectations in line and stop with the constant criticism because a 17 year old player did not dominate a game in which he was the youngest on the ice.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
At the game and the Americans had all they could handle in Slovakia. US speed kind of took over in the third but game could have gone either way. Refs really got involved and started awarding very suspect penalty shots.

On the players

Barratt - had and excellent game. Named player of the game for good reason. His line with Madden and Cates was best of the American lines. Strong two way player

Madden - silky smooth skater. Good along the boards and another with a two way game. Has deceptive speed

Samberg - good skater given his size. Very solid game.

Miller - had very poor game IMO. Got caught up ice creating odd man rushes with one leading to the only Solvakia goal. Would have been others if not for the stellar play of Keyser. Moreover his bobbles with the puck and a stumbles in skating allowed Solvakia to get their forcheck going ending up with the US getting pinned in their zone. These glitches in his play will cause him to get eaten alive at the pro level.

Jack Hughes - given space on the PP he was able to show off his quickness and savvy with the puck. However, 5 on 5 he got basically smothered and tied up in traffic. Got banged around a fair bit but bounced back up quickly and got back in the play. Looked frustrated and, at times, tried to do too much. Still he is quite a bit younger than many here and you could see the size factor was working against him. Frankly expected more.

Quinn Hughes - brought you out of your seats with some of his plays. Skating is unbelievable and he owned the puck at times. Thought he over did it some and got himself into problems. However, when he did lose the puck he was tenacious and quick in getting it back. Looked fine on defense (especially one on one) and maybe the best play he made all game was when he had to face a 3 on 1 and judged the situation very well and showed superb timing in deflecting a shot out of play. Has, no doubt, very high end talent and you wonder how his game adapts to the NHL. If he can control the play at that level like he does here he will be very special. One issue I saw in this game was when Q. Hughes began to wheel and deal other players, including American players, were kind of left standing and watching.

Poehling - not impressed. Had real average game and you had to make a effort to find him in the play. Nothing he did ever led to anything

Wahlstrom - one problem I saw was that he was skating into lanes where Jack Hughes was attempting to go. Sort of pinched Hughes off. Expected to see more blue line to goal speed out of this player. Got very little accomplished in this game and did little with chances provided.

Robertson - did a lot of good work in the offensive zone. Thought he was the best player on his line. Has a pro style of play.

Farabee - did he play??? Not impressed at all.

Samuelsson - mixed bag. Made a couple of terrible passes in his end that led to huge chances against and failed to close off the boards on a couple of rushes. At other times was good at standing up players on the rush.

Keyser - excellent. Key factor in the win.

Focused on the US team and can't really comment much on Solvakia other than to say that you notice Ruzicka and see he has some talent to go with his size and that the goaltender, Hlavaq, was outstanding.

Disagree on Poehling, he was USA best forward in the 1st period, he sent Norris alone with the goaltender for a grade A chance with a solid pass and then create a PP opportunity for his team with his work in front of the net. His line was very effective yesterday along with the Barratt line.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If you mean Jack Hughes well its all in a matter of what your expectations for him were. In fact this entire year he's had to battle against unreasonable expectations because he was erroneously labeled as a generational player by certain media personalities. He is an undersized 17 year old player in a 19 year old tournament and he is holding his own. He showed his offensive dynamism last night but also his lack of defensive acumen and he had a lot of difficulty with the physical play. In short everything you would expect from a 17 year old player in a 19 year old tournament. Jack Hughes is not a special player like a Craig Button is trying to make him out to be. He is, however, one of the top 2001 players in the world who is odds on favorite to go first over-all in this year's entry draft and we should all keep our expectations in line and stop with the constant criticism because a 17 year old player did not dominate a game in which he was the youngest on the ice.

I think this is a very fair view.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I tired 1/2 way through the 1st period with the commentators oozing over Hughes every time he touched the puck when quite frankly, he was pretty ordinary. The hype of this kid is over the top....like Pusilic for Dortmund. He is only 17yo and I bet he will be fine but they acted like nobody else was on the ice when he was there while not mentioning his mistakes, etc.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Disagree on Poehling, he was USA best forward in the 1st period, he sent Norris alone with the goaltender for a grade A chance with a solid pass and then create a PP opportunity for his team with his work in front of the net. His line was very effective yesterday along with the Barratt line.
Ya im with ya, poehling and his line were great id say they had just as many chances as the farabee, hughes line

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I tired 1/2 way through the 1st period with the commentators oozing over Hughes every time he touched the puck when quite frankly, he was pretty ordinary. The hype of this kid is over the top....like Pusilic for Dortmund. He is only 17yo and I bet he will be fine but they acted like nobody else was on the ice when he was there while not mentioning his mistakes, etc.

I watched the game live and while it was clear he had skill, he wasn't that impressive, needs another year or two of growing and he'll be fine though.

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ
Ya im with ya, poehling and his line were great id say they had just as many chances as the farabee, hughes line

He also forced that turnover for Robertson to go in alone which forced a penalty shot. I watched Poehling closer since he is a habs prospect but he was great. What surprises me is how good he is defensively. Definitely plays a 200 foot game.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I like Jack Hughes but I don't see him in the NHL next year. He doesn't look strong enough on his skates or hard enough on the puck at the moment. That will come with physical maturity and hard work. Should be a fun player to watch.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I watched the game live and while it was clear he had skill, he wasn't that impressive, needs another year or two of growing and he'll be fine though.

i am with you on this. He needs a couple years it appeared which is not a bad thing. He is no Crosby at 17yo which is what it seems like the agenda they are pushing in a way. Not directly but they are sure to let you know he is the next best thing and on the ice.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Slovakia put up an amazing fight, they played a tough and defencive responsible game that wshould trouble any team. Their lack of talent is obvious, but they should be in every game. Hlavaj was a wall, I was surprised when I found out that he was 17 years old.

I also think USA looked quite cocky trying to play the entire game offencively and thinking they would've won this game 7-2. Hughes was good, not sure why they consider his line the 3rd line when, to me, it was the most dangerous last night. Robertson though, holy smokes was he good with Madden and Barrett. Three highly competitive and tenacious forwards.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I like Jack Hughes but I don't see him in the NHL next year. He doesn't look strong enough on his skates or hard enough on the puck at the moment. That will come with physical maturity and hard work. Should be a fun player to watch.
No way he will be in the NHL next year, he looks like a baby on the ice lol

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I haven't seen much of Madden... Can anyone give me a NHL comparison? (style wise, not overall potential).

thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad