PGT: Game 2: United States 2 - Slovakia 1

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
One good period was good enough for the win, luckily. Not too worried about a disappointing Game 1 though.

Well played game by the Slovaks.

Reactions: Pomee

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Only one word for Jack Hughes out there tonight: sensational.
What? What were you watching?

He did very little all game, had a weak rush at the side of the net early in the game, had a weak backhand shot that was going wide anyway, lunged at the opposing player in his own zone and blew his team's coverage, leading to a near-goal for the Slovaks; he, Wahlstrom and Farabee were getting in each other's way all game; in the second period, he was contained one-on-one and then slid into the corner hard; on numerous rushes, he had the puck taken off of his stick by the opponent; he took a weak shot from point-blank that was snagged by the Slovak goaltender; he whiffed on a chance and then got smashed into the boards late in the game; he never really controlled the puck for any notable amount of time and had a couple of shifts where he skated around the perimeter.

Is that first-overall material to you?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So you want guys to score goals every period? If they don’t that means they had a bad game? He got some nice shots off and made some really good passes. He set Hughes up right in front of the net and Hughes missed it.

What else do you want? Lol
Score a goal every period, huh? For a guy I ranked in the top 5 of the draft I expected him to stand out more offensively, that’s all I’m saying.

Brock Boeser has a similar tournament in his draft +1 year where I wanted to see more from him, he turned out just fine.

Reactions: SI90

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
No impact. Doesn't belong on the 4th line though.
As in he needs to be in a scoring role? Is he better than those above him or was it just a strange pick for the team because he doesn’t fit the role of a checking line, but the scoring lines have better personnel?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Slovakia had more than enough chances to win. So many open looks and a penalty shot with less than 10 to tie.

Reactions: Pomee

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

He did very little all game, had a weak rush at the side of the net early in the game, had a weak backhand shot that was going wide anyway, lunged at the opposing player in his own zone and blew his team's coverage, leading to a near-goal for the Slovaks; he, Wahlstrom and Farabee were getting in each other's way all game; in the second period, he was contained one-on-one and then slid into the corner hard; on numerous rushes, he had the puck taken off of his stick by the opponent; he took a weak shot from point-blank that was snagged by the Slovak goaltender; he whiffed on a chance and then got smashed into the boards late in the game; he never really controlled the puck for any notable amount of time and had a couple of shifts where he skated around the perimeter.

What do the advanced statistics say? Fess up: Did Luke Hughes not autograph a puck for you or something?

* For the record I thought Hughes tried to do a little too much himself

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Could I interest you in my monthly rankings and tournament previews?

https://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
What do the advanced statistics say? Fess up: Did Luke Hughes not autograph a puck for you or something?
Why would anyone be offended by the notion that Hughes is not that impressive? Watch his games and you'll see. Stop cheering for players based on their nationality. Use your eyes.

He's not the best player in the draft. You just saw the game, didn't you? What did he do to justify praise in this game?

Frankly, every time I watch Hughes he looks something like this. He isn't going to get much better this season, so if you don't like his game today, I don't think you'll end up liking his game overall. That's just how he plays.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I was impressed by the Norris line, Robertson in particular, Quinn Hughes, and Keyser.

I think the US needs to clean up their communication on D as they left the Slovaks wide open at times.

I liked the effort, Keyser (a lot), but they need to improve in all areas.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why would anyone be offended by the notion that Hughes is not that impressive? Watch his games and you'll see. Stop cheering for players based on their nationality. Use your eyes.

He's not the best player in the draft. You just saw the game, didn't you? What did he do to justify praise in this game?

I’m not offended in the least. You have an axe to grind where he is concerned for some reason though. You have made it your mission to do everything you can to downplay him as a player and a prospect. You have some supporters on this site but it’s limited and has no real bearing from a professional evaluation perspective. I think that really burns you up.

Reactions: heynowbababooey

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio

Frankly, every time I watch Hughes he looks something like this. He isn't going to get much better this season, so if you don't like his game today, I don't think you'll end up liking his game overall. That's just how he plays.
I've seen Hughes in quite a few games and disagree with you. Was he great today? No. But when he plays on the NTDP team and at the U18s he is dominant.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
People say this every time someone critiques his game.

He looks like this most of the time, hence my apprehension about this player.

No, people say this when a single shift or game is used to make sweeping generalizations about a player. Reality doesn’t support your position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad