Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs vs Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Basically afforded just the one more strike now. Hopefully Game 2 won't be that. Maybe there's a lineup change. Maybe there's change to a line and/or pairing. Regardless, it's essentially up to this group of players to figure things out.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No but the consellation prize could be in the best interest of the team in the long run. Who was the last franchise player the leafs drafted outside the first round? Doubt they also find a Borge Salming or acquire a Vaive and Derlago for a bag of pucks soon.

In the unlikely situation where we got Lafreniere, it opens the door to trading another of the "Big 4" as soon as he proves he's an NHLer.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Basically afforded just the one more strike now. Hopefully Game 2 won't be that. Maybe there's a lineup change. Maybe there's change to a line and/or pairing. Regardless, it's essentially up to this group of players to figure things out.

Yep. And if they don't, I think I'll be quickly turning off the NHL for the rest of the season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It’s a best of 5 right? Even if we lose this one it’s not over. Rattling off 3 straight really isn’t that tough with the firepower we have. Of course we actually have to score so we’ll see what happens
Historically it’s a pretty big uphill battle just losing game one. It would be monumental to come back after going down 2-0

Reactions: rubous

member 300185

Hyman pissed me off last night. He cycled by himself in the corner, twisting and turning, eventually only to lose the puck...all game long. Put Robertson on that line and bump Hyman down.

Reactions: ToMaLe

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Toronto is going to have a very hard time winning this game or the series if Marner doesn't show up. He's a small winger the team has invested almost $11M in cap space on. When you are eating up that much cap space you don't have the luxury of having off games or not showing up. That is elite level money and if the player isn't living up to that contract it doesn't matter what the rest of the team does.

The team is paying him to be a difference maker and that is exactly what the Leafs need him to be. I noticed Matthews and Tavaras all game. Matthews in particular was everywhere. Marner was a ghost and the only time I really noticed him was when he was floating around or making bad decisions. Until that changes the Leafs are in trouble.
Yup I said a few times last night - where’s Mitch. Not one shot on goal and basically invisible

Reactions: MikeK

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Honestly, marner was brutal but tavares was just as invisible to me. Plus he is the captain. He really is just an solid player these days. Nothing more than that.

Matthews and nylander are earning the money they are given. Tavares and marner arent even close. Both probably should be around nylander. Not matthews level.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, marner was brutal but tavares was just as invisible to me. Plus he is the captain. He really is just an solid player these days. Nothing more than that.

Matthews and nylander are earning the money they are given. Tavares and marner arent even close. Both probably should be around nylander. Not matthews level.
It doesn’t matter if you make 6 or 10. Nylander and Marner both need to be way better.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In the unlikely situation where we got Lafreniere, it opens the door to trading another of the "Big 4" as soon as he proves he's an NHLer.

I think 1 or 2 of the big 4 needs to be moved irregardless of whether we got the #1 pick. They are chewing up half the cap and under performing. Until Dubas is proven correct, this team is not built to win a SC IMO.

Reactions: shanwhatplan

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Tavaras was all around last night. I noticed him a heck of a lot more than I did Marner. I get the expectations for Tavaras but I don't think he had as bad a game as some want to believe. He had a few good chances and was backchecking all night. Marner was a ghost.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think 1 or 2 of the big 4 needs to be moved irregardless of whether we got the #1 pick. They are chewing up half the cap and under performing. Until Dubas is proven correct, this team is not built to win a SC IMO.

Feels like Marner would be the more realistic player to move but I would give Dubas executive of the year if he could move on from Tavares.

The Tavares homecoming is a great story, his captaincy is a storybook finish, but it feels like he's accelerating towards Marleau/Spezza territory faster than we imagined.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Tavaras was all around last night. I noticed him a heck of a lot more than I did Marner. I get the expectations for Tavaras but I don't think he had as bad a game as some want to believe. He had a few good chances and was backchecking all night. Marner was a ghost.
I honestly keep forgetting he is on our team....I noticed marner more but not always for the better as it was mostly bad plays.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Things I would change:
- I switch Barrie and Ceci. Not due to anything that happened in game, I just think Barrie needs more icetime if you want him to be the defenceman we hoped we were trading for.
Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Ceci

- Up front I put in Engvall for Gauthier. 4th line was certainly not why we lost, but I do think they looked slow and that caused Keefe to practically bench them. Engvall adds more foot speed to that unit and a more offensive guy for Spezza to play off.

-And lastly, i wouldn't be scared to switch Marner and Willy around. Matthews and Marner (maybe due to their bromance) just seem to enjoy playing together. Marner needs a spark big time if we want to go anywhere and we don't have a lot of time to waste

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hyman pissed me off last night. He cycled by himself in the corner, twisting and turning, eventually only to lose the puck...all game long. Put Robertson on that line and bump Hyman down.
no.1 LW on Leafs is one of the hardest jobs in the entire NHL and you want to put Robertson there.

Did you not see the beating Hyman has to take so his line mates get room.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think he put in more of an effort than Marner. But if you showed a non fan footage of Tavares and Alexandre Texier, they wouldn't be able to tell you who the superstar making $11 million was.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
It doesn’t matter if you make 6 or 10. Nylander and Marner both need to be way better.
I thought nylander was okay yesterday. Not great but was decent. Marner was no where close to where he should be. Tavares was also completely MIA.

It definitely does matter about the cap as marner affects our depth and especially D corps

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
At least with Tavares even when the offense isn't there, he is still a responsible player and won't necessarily hurt you. Marner is practically useless if he isn't providing offense.
This season Tavares seemed a lot better with Nylander beside him.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
no.1 LW on Leafs is one of the hardest jobs in the entire NHL and you want to put Robertson there.

Did you not see the beating Hyman has to take so his line mates get room.
wondering if he watched the game???, Hyman did a fine job, he got drilled all game trying to retrieve the puck, or like you said trying to open space for 34 and 88

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

In those situations, Hyman is trying to create extra space by luring a defenseman out away from the slot so one of his linemates (ahem Nylander) can jump into the danger area and hopefully receive the puck. If your linemates aren't eagerly looking to fill that ice, your cycle game is going to look pretty useless.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I thought nylander was okay yesterday. Not great but was decent. Marner was no where close to where he should be. Tavares was also completely MIA.

It definitely does matter about the cap as marner affects our depth and especially D corps
Cap is irrelevant in the playoffs
I didn’t see a lot separating the two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad