Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs vs Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Series isn't done until you lose game 2, so moving on.
Keefe will look for adjustments, but it won't matter if the top guys don't show up.
My recommendations
1. Put in Engvall for Gauthier. The 4th line was a disaster yesterday in over 2 minutes, and Keefe had no choice but to stop playing them. Not impressed by Clifford, but that may have more to do with Gauthier, so put in Engvall. He has the speed and size which adds another element.

2. Somehow get Marner going. He was awful and looked totally confused what was going on. When Marner is on his game, he can breakdown any defence that he faces. We need that Mitch back. I don't know what Keefe can do here, so it might just be Marner needing to wake up. Maybe put him with Matthews.

3. Forcing turnovers. You need to make them play a high octane rush game. I think the pressure needs to be increased on their players as a result. Ramp up the pressure.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Will be interesting to see if Keefe and Dubas can figure out how they can get the Jackets to open up the game. An early cheapie like Anderson gave up last night could do it.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Yeah, Gauthier should be scratched for the rest of the series. He's just there. May as well see what Spezza can bring. He can't be worse.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
I would honestly try going with Matthews-Marner and Tavares-Nylander next game. Normally it would be too soon to panic but there's really no more margin for error, honestly I liked those lines better in the regular season anyways plus it will hopefully give them a kick in the butt.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
I would love to see the following two lineup changes:
Gauthier out, Engvall in. Watching Columbus players finish their checks, and then Gautier have Jones/Werenski lined up just to turn off the check was infuriating. What is the point of being 6-5 230 on the 4th line if you’re going to play soft as butter
Ceci out, Sandin in. Dermott with Rielly. Sandin with Barrie. I mean why not. Ceci took 2 penalties and it felt like he barely saw the ice in the third period.

Lineup changes aside, more effort from everyone in our top 6. Marner remembering how to play hockey and not pass to empty corners would be great.

Ugh. Really can’t believe we waited over 4 months for that disaster

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Toronto is going to have a very hard time winning this game or the series if Marner doesn't show up. He's a small winger the team has invested almost $11M in cap space on. When you are eating up that much cap space you don't have the luxury of having off games or not showing up. That is elite level money and if the player isn't living up to that contract it doesn't matter what the rest of the team does.

The team is paying him to be a difference maker and that is exactly what the Leafs need him to be. I noticed Matthews and Tavaras all game. Matthews in particular was everywhere. Marner was a ghost and the only time I really noticed him was when he was floating around or making bad decisions. Until that changes the Leafs are in trouble.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Go with the same lineup but up the ugency. Lose the series and win the #1 pick could be what this team needs to take the next step.

Reactions: kb

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
It’s a best of 5 right? Even if we lose this one it’s not over. Rattling off 3 straight really isn’t that tough with the firepower we have. Of course we actually have to score so we’ll see what happens

Reactions: TML Dynasty

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I would love to see the following two lineup changes:
Gauthier out, Engvall in. Watching Columbus players finish their checks, and then Gautier have Jones/Werenski lined up just to turn off the check was infuriating. What is the point of being 6-5 230 on the 4th line if you’re going to play soft as butter
Ceci out, Sandin in. Dermott with Rielly. Sandin with Barrie. I mean why not. Ceci took 2 penalties and it felt like he barely saw the ice in the third period.

Lineup changes aside, more effort from everyone in our top 6. Marner remembering how to play hockey and not pass to empty corners would be great.

Ugh. Really can’t believe we waited over 4 months for that disaster
Your right. Ceci only played 3:40 in the 3rd period which was easily the least amount of any defenceman on the team.
Not sure if that was because of the game, or it's a sign of things to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palio

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It’s a best of 5 right? Even if we lose this one it’s not over. Rattling off 3 straight really isn’t that tough with the firepower we have. Of course we actually have to score so we’ll see what happens
It's not over in technical terms, but in this environment, it might be.

Reactions: shanwhatplan

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Game 1 wasn't very enjoyable. I can handle the heartbreak of a hard fought playoff game, but they just didn't look very engaged. It's not even about their top players winning this for them, the WHOLE team has to up the intensity. It's playoffs ffs

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hide Marner on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Kapanen to get him away from Tavares lack of foot speed for a period and see what happens.

Put Hyman with Tavares and Mikheyev and put them up against the Jones Werenski pair to waste time.

Try to get Matthews and Nylander easier matchups. They were the only line showing a pulse last night. Could see Robertson thrown out there to just be a trigger man at every opportunity, giving the Leafs two snipers on the line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto is going to have a very hard time winning this game or the series if Marner doesn't show up. He's a small winger the team has invested almost $11M in cap space on. When you are eating up that much cap space you don't have the luxury of having off games or not showing up. That is elite level money and if the player isn't living up to that contract it doesn't matter what the rest of the team does.

The team is paying him to be a difference maker and that is exactly what the Leafs need him to be. I noticed Matthews and Tavaras all game. Matthews in particular was everywhere. Marner was a ghost and the only time I really noticed him was when he was floating around or making bad decisions. Until that changes the Leafs are in trouble.

Marner has been a disappointment the moment he signed the contract. If you watch Aho all over the ice, engaging on offense, defense, puck pursuits, it really extra disappointing.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander - Matthews - Hyman
Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
Robertson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Clifford - - Spezza - - Engvall

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Holl
Marincin - Barrie

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Go with the same lineup but up the ugency. Lose the series and win the #1 pick could be what this team needs to take the next step.
two words...........Edmonton..........Oilers...................

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jeeze 1 loss and we are on the lose for Laf train?
No but the consellation prize could be in the best interest of the team in the long run. Who was the last franchise player the leafs drafted outside the first round? Doubt they also find a Borge Salming or acquire a Vaive and Derlago for a bag of pucks soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad