GDT: (Game 2) Home Opener: The suckiest suck that ever sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
widemancheer.gif

I think this is a good move given we have home ice and can make sure (for the most part) that Wideman/Engelland doesn't see McDavid.

McDavid should have a much harder time tonight with two plus-skaters opposing him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
tumblr_mcdvd414z11ql1q95o1_500.gif

About time. Engelland-Wideman is going to be a disaster though. Sub one of them with Kulak and all would have been right in the world.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary

About time. Engelland-Wideman is going to be a disaster though. Sub one of them with Kulak and all would have been right in the world.

The good news is that it will only take two games for the coaching staff to realize that Kulak is a better option then Wideman or Grossman.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Both guys had good games last night. So I'd wait to judge.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Another positive from last night was that our new PP looked pretty good. Really looked like we were out there with a plan. Just need to give it more opportunities.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The good news is that it will only take two games for the coaching staff to realize that Kulak is a better option then Wideman or Grossman.

No kidding hey. Im just worried he's going to sit in the press box for another week. Then it will be ~17 days in between games. He comes in, has rust and then out management loses faith right away, and we get a full season of Nik Grossman

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

The Wideman hate is unwarranted so far. He was a close second behind Brodie as our best dman last night.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
The Wideman hate is unwarranted so far. He was a close second behind Brodie as our best dman last night.

He was blown by on multiple occasions. Obviously McLottery is fast, but still.

And that's a pretty low bar considering how the blueline as a whole played yesterday.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Kristen Odland ‏@Kristen_Odland 2m2 minutes ago
Gulutzan says that he doesn't see Grossmann playing tomorrow night vs. Oilers.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
With regards to Wideman, tt's not about hate, it's about fit.

Offensively, he's redundant. Unlike Engelland or Jokkipakka, he's not physical. Like Engelland, he's slow, which means not only both of them not be paired together, he also has to be paired with someone mobile to prevent them from getting burned by speedy attackers.

Brodie's better on the right side and you can't put Hamilton with him. That leaves Giordano, which means you're either wasting his ability or exposing Wideman to a higher than acceptable level of competition/minutes. There's also Kulak but that would leave the Flames with almost no physical presence on the backend, since you can't put Engelland with Hamilton either.

To force Wideman into an passable configuration means going with

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Engelland
Jokipakka/Kulak-Wideman

But that means breaking up Giordano and Brodie, a top-three pairing in the entire league, forcing Brodie to the left side which he's not nearly as comfortable with and putting Engelland in the top four. Why go through all that trouble when the common sense solution

Brodie-Giordano
Jokipakka-Hamilton
Kulak-Engelland

is much better? Ideally, they Flames would find an upgrade on Jokipakka in the top four but that can be addressed after the expansion draft. No point in giving up assets for a player just to lose them to the Vegas Showboaters.

At the end of the day, is Wideman a servicable NHL'er in a bottom pairing role? Absolutely. But he's not a good fit for the Flames given the makeup of their defense, especially with the whole referee thing as well. Unfortunately, since he wasn't bought out and there's apparently no trade market for him, it's going to be a long season of the Flames bending over backwards to keep him in the lineup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would say that Wideman showed last night exactly why he isn't yet offensively redundant. He's basically the only guy on our roster who can shoot a one-timer at the top of the left circle.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I would say that Wideman showed last night exactly why he isn't yet offensively redundant. He's basically the only guy on our roster who can shoot a one-timer at the top of the left circle.

Yah scoring goals is redundant I guess?

They're not "bending over backwards" to keep him in, he's just a better player than Kulak right now. Plain and simple. And if anything, Gio was the liability on that pair last night, our team defence needs to tighten up though, and Gully needs to deploy Wideman better, he shouldn't have been out on that 4 on 4.

It makes no sense, people got mad when we'd play Bollig over "more capable" players, because he brings an element they didn't, but now they advocate sitting Wideman, for players who aren't as good, because they bring an element he doesn't.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson

That's what I want to see.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson

That's what I want to see.

I think it's more important to keep Johnny and Versteeg together. You want Versteeg to get the practice of putting the puck on Johnny's stick.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Monahan - Brouwer

Is what I would want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad