PGT: Game 2 - Europe vs Canada - Canada wins the 2016 World Cup of Hockey

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
haha i come in to read people opinion on the game and its toews talk again. he had a great tournament again. leave it be. crosby is the best player in the world everyone knows it. When it comes down to it look who stood out in this tournament.

Crosby Toews Marchand Bergeron Kopitar---->Last 7 Years of stanley cups

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Even if you were correct, the goal was scored at 6 on 6. :D We Dem Boyz!

Actually Canada had one men too much on the ice for a good 2 seconds right before the goal was scored.

Should have been a two minute penalty.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
the entire team does not play at once. it's line vs line.

regarding toews the possession numbers flatter his performance, he was fighting the puck all night until the ending.

as crazy as it sounds, Hossa and Tatar with Kopitar is probably a better possession line than Tavares Toews Stamkos simply because Stamkos sucks.

Just as crazy as it sounds yes...no matter how bad Stamkos has been he is better than Tatar and Hossa. And dont get me started on Tavares. And even if you dismiss linemates, compare the defensive squads.

Kopitar could keep his man in check for 60min, it wont change the fact that the man he isnt watching gets to dangle around Sekera, Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, while once the kopitar line hits the offensive zone they face Doughty and Vlasic, etc.
And even if you are foolish enough to dismiss that, account for the fact that Kopita's ice time was higher than any other canadian PLAYER, except Doughty who played 2 minutes more (considering he is canadas top D, i am not shocked he managed 2 more minutes than a forward).

I dont even have an agenda. I usually cheer for Canada, thats where Im from. But i guess not everyone watches the game from a neutral stance. From where I stand, youve got a guy playing on the much better team and playing a quite ordinary game all things considered, and being talked about and praised and complimented, while the guy who's been playing competitive hockey since before the WC, to qualify his nation for the olympics, whos been overused and doubleshifting throughout this tournament, and who was evidently the main reason why Canada could not score or even barely hit 30 SOG in a tourny where they easily managed close to 50, and playing against the much harder competition relative to any canadian player in this game, is barely talked about.

I love team Canada, but they were supposed to slaughter team Europe. No one should be talking about team Canada. The least us fans can do is be fair to the players we watch and give credit where its due.

Most of you arent.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
haha i come in to read people opinion on the game and its toews talk again. he had a great tournament again. leave it be. crosby is the best player in the world everyone knows it. When it comes down to it look who stood out in this tournament.

Crosby Toews Marchand Bergeron Kopitar---->Last 7 Years of stanley cups

As a Bruins fan I have to say I agree and well said. We know the value of Toews game, its the same as the others. They do the dirty job and do it well, 200 foot game is appreciated by some fans. Its not always about goals, you can prevent 3 a game and no one hears it. I do not remember how many times I seen Bergy playing dee for Peteirangelo or Toews winning draws in his own end or Marshy and Crosby in their own end getting it out. Kopitar was fantastic for them as well.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Still better than this exhibition without atmosphere and real teams.

Atmosphere is sometimes better but it's a farce, any tournament billing itself as something it is not is a total embarrassment, it is a black eye on the sport.

That tournament needs to go, what a joke.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Refs were pretty brutal. Several non calls for Europe and other questionable decisions favoring Canada (delay of game calls on Europe etc. pp.).

Especially in this game Europe was just the better team. And the saddest thing of them all: Marchand scored the game winner :cry:
Canada probably ultimately wins the WC anyway, but not calling the penalty shot and then the soft call on Kopitar were pretty awful.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
is it over? Sorry... I must have slept through the fireworks and the impromptu fan parade to the city center and the honking of car horns all night.

Glad it's over. The right team won and now we can get on with things.

Epic celebration all the way up and down Yonge street last night. Street party's everywhere. So many cars that I lost track. Thousands of fans and revelers soaking up the heroics of Marchand's game winning and championship winning goal! Simply pure sex! Words cannot describe my euphoria!

When's the next one?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
You must have misread my post.

Toews is on a line with Tavares and Stamkos.

Kopitar is on a line with Tatar and Hossa.

Are you seriously pointing out their possession advantage as something worth giving credit for?

I expected Canada to have the puck and logically they did a lot. I also expected them to score more than 0 goals in 55 minutes of play, yet instead I watched Kopitar kill Canadian plays in the defensive zone throughout the whole game.
im pretty sure he was doubleshifting throughout the tournament and probably was today as well, or to the very least he was extremely relied upon.

as crazy as it sounds, Hossa and Tatar with Kopitar is probably a better possession line than Tavares Toews Stamkos simply because Stamkos sucks.

Toews took a few shifts with Tavares and Stamkos, but his regular linemates for a great majority of the tournament were Couture and Perry. Tavares and Stamkos played primarily with Getzlaf

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Was there an official All Star Team announced? If not, my guesses would be...

Forwards: Crosby, Marchand, Kopitar
Defense: Doughty, Josi
Goalie: Price

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Was there an official All Star Team announced? If not, my guesses would be...

Forwards: Crosby, Marchand, Kopitar
Defense: Doughty, Josi
Goalie: Price

I know it's only one game but that was one of the worst performances I have seen from him to date....the multiple spin-o-rama turnovers were baffling to me. I felt Piet had the better showing throughout.

Josi is so damn good, early in the tourney he was the only thing keeping Europe's head above water!

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I know it's only one game but that was one of the worst performances I have seen from him to date....the multiple spin-o-rama turnovers were baffling to me. I felt Piet had the better showing throughout.

Josi is so damn good, early in the tourney he was the only thing keeping Europe's head above water!

Definitely not his best game, but it's for the whole tourney, and besides, who else do you give it to?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Canada got outplayed for considerable stretches against Europe. Kudos to their team for putting up a good fight.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Definitely not his best game, but it's for the whole tourney, and besides, who else do you give it to?

Can't really go wrong giving it to DD but I can see the argument for Pietrangelo....also thought Hedman was pretty solid but the winning team should be represented.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Toews took a few shifts with Tavares and Stamkos, but his regular linemates for a great majority of the tournament were Couture and Perry. Tavares and Stamkos played primarily with Getzlaf

The other poster and I were discussing last game, mainly at least, during which Toews played roughly half the game with Tavares Stammer, following a line shuffle by Babcock. Even if it was mainly Toews Couture Perry last game, i think my point, that considering Toews' teammates it is no slight to Kopitar that the latter's line was beaten in possession by the former, still stands.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
The other poster and I were discussing last game, mainly at least, during which Toews played roughly half the game with Tavares Stammer, following a line shuffle by Babcock. Even if it was mainly Toews Couture Perry last game, i think my point, that considering Toews' teammates it is no slight to Kopitar that the latter's line was beaten in possession by the former, still stands.

Certainly would expect the Toews line to have more possession, especially when you consider the Dmen as well. Looking at how all Team Canada lines did against the Kopitar line would provide some better context (which I think I saw someone start to do by mentioning the Crosby line).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Certainly would expect the Toews line to have more possession, especially when you consider the Dmen as well. Looking at how all Team Canada lines did against the Kopitar line would provide some better context (which I think I saw someone start to do by mentioning the Crosby line).

I would expect any of the Canadian lines to beat the Koptar line in possession considering the two team's rosters. Not only offensive lines but the support they receive from the D as far as possession is concerned. Which is the essence of my point. Looking stricty at game 2, at least, the way the game was played, the amount of shots and scoring chances Canada had relative to what theyve proven capable of in other games, against teams supposedly better on paper than europe, Europe deserves a lot of credit, especially considering they were not simply defending they were also creating offensively.

Considering Kopitar played 24 minutes, had a considerable offensive presence as far as im concerned, and played against most if not all Canadian lines throughout the game if my memory serves me well, he is one that deserves a large amount of this credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad