GDT: Game 2: Ducks @ Flames

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
What's up with people making all sorts of changes to the lineup? Some good things are happening. I didn't even feel that Ryan and Teemu looked too bad together. Not good, yet, but they came very close to scoring twice only within the first period.

A big part of us winning these games has been us finding chemistry early. It's very early. There's lines on every single team that aren't clicking, yet. With a short camp, no pre-season games and no constant history of playing together, the second line needs to be given time. And with the way the other lines do, for now we actually are in the relatively comfortable position of being able to give it to them.

This, this, a thousand times this. Don't mess with the 2 lines that are winning hockey games for us.

Once Ryan gets going, the 2nd line will be fine IMO. I'd still like to see Holland in the lineup, and DSP sent to the AHL, he looked better last night, but still not as good as he needs to be to secure a spot. Rakell was good, 3rd line was fantastic.

Getzlaf was the best player for either team, damn does he look good out there right now. I actually think he could have easily had hattrick, if he had just roofed it on the backhand when he tried to pass it to Palmieri. Kipper was down and left a huge portion of the net open on the short side.

The defense was meh, they need to figure out WTH they're doing in front of Hiller, either move the forward or block some damn shots. Fowler was good, got beat on a few 1 on 1s but was extremely good otherwise. Lydman was good, Sbisa, Beauch and Allen were meh and Souray was pretty awful.

Hiller had no chance on any of the goals, except maybe the 4th, and he made some huge saves.

I think more than a few players were hit with that flu bug, I'm thinking at least Fowler, Perry and Ryan have been under the weather recently.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
This, this, a thousand times this. Don't mess with the 2 lines that are winning hockey games for us.

Once Ryan gets going, the 2nd line will be fine IMO. I'd still like to see Holland in the lineup, and DSP sent to the AHL, he looked better last night, but still not as good as he needs to be to secure a spot. Rakell was good, 3rd line was fantastic.

Yeah, I agree. I think we have a positive problem in the fact that we want to bring Holland in, but everybody's been playing at least OK. While DSP would be my nomination for the press box / AHL, he was already better last game and I want to see if he can keep the trend upwards.

I don't really think Selanne and Ryan quite click. Both seem to be the go-to guys who want to finish. This means Bonino has to both get the puck and dish it out, which is a bit too much to do. I'd keep them together for a couple of more games, but when we get our first back-to-back I might exchange Bonino for Holland just to see how it would work for the second game. Or if DSP doesn't improve throw him onto the bench as a wake-up call and put a 4th line of Beleskey - Bonino - Rakell, with Holland centering #2.

But seriously, I think people are just complaining because they need something to do and everyone's used to this team having one part that underperforms in one way or another. I'm happy to keep this lineup if they continue winning. True, BB must be ready to make changes quickly if we start losing, but until then I'll just keep watching games and smiling. Last night I only had one peeve, the fact that we hired Allen and Sourey to clear our the crease and still two of the Calgary goals came with their forward getting to deflect the puck into the goal in peace. Especially Sbisa seemed to be hesitant in taking the body.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
2h87fw5.jpg

Enjoy it.

I realize he won't continue on this 96 goal pace but 70 or 80 would be fine. :sarcasm:

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Like some have said its only been two games. Half of the problem last night was rust and getting to know teammates/system. Wrt to 2nd line. We probably need to give them 5-7 games to see what they are but I would begin experimenting after that.

Thoughts on this:

Etem Bonino Selanne
Beleaky Holland Ryan

This would keep other 2 lines in Tact and give Selanne/Ryan more suitable line mates... really be like rolling 4 lines and u could shuffle based on score.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Like some have said its only been two games. Half of the problem last night was rust and getting to know teammates/system. Wrt to 2nd line. We probably need to give them 5-7 games to see what they are but I would begin experimenting after that.

Thoughts on this:

Etem Bonino Selanne
Beleaky Holland Ryan

This would keep other 2 lines in Tact and give Selanne/Ryan more suitable line mates... really be like rolling 4 lines and u could shuffle based on score.

Haha, if that would work, Ducks would be the deepest team in the league!

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Etem-Bonino-Selänne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Holland-Ryan

You know you are doing good if you can keep 30 goal scoring winger on your 4th line :laugh:

Jul 22, 2012

Thoughts on this:

Etem Bonino Selanne
Beleaky Holland Ryan

That second line would get steamrolled. I don't think moving Ryan down is the right thing to do.. He's going to get going soon, it's just a matter of time with him, I think.

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I'd say we keep the lines intact for now, but that 2nd line has been struggling heavily in their own zone. Not sure if the main problem is with Bonino at center, but I wouldn't hesitate to experiment with Rakells two-way skills on that line.

But that 3rd line. O M G. That 3rd line.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
It's only two games, and Ryan is on another new line. Give him a week before you draw any conclusions.

Bobby is hard to get a read on lately (lately as in last season), because he's thrown around the different lines, and put in different roles, Bruce frantically trying to find a place for him to expand the scoring depth. In my opinion, now that it looks like there is scoring depth with the third line without him, he needs to be put back on top with Getzlaf and Perry. I think Palmieri would complement Teemu and Bonino more than Bobby, and Bobby would be more complimented with the other two big guys. This all of course is predicated on if the third line keeps scoring and Bobby doesn't find traction on the second line. Like I said, it's only two games.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
dont EVER mess with a streak...my next move to any of the lines is to put holland on the 4C..i think its fine to have rakell playing but think he should get in his 9 and go back to juniors, i want that kid to get the experience but i also want him to fill out before he is fully thrown out there

i also think the 2nd line will be fine, but i do see the potential for that line needing a more playmaking C...guess we will see, but i think eventually holland will be centering that line

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
dont EVER mess with a streak...my next move to any of the lines is to put holland on the 4C..i think its fine to have rakell playing but think he should get in his 9 and go back to juniors, i want that kid to get the experience but i also want him to fill out before he is fully thrown out there

i also think the 2nd line will be fine, but i do see the potential for that line needing a more playmaking C...guess we will see, but i think eventually holland will be centering that line

If you think that the line needs a play making center then bonito is the guy. Holland is more of a shooting center. His best attribute is his shot

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So you're thinking Bonino wouldn't be tearing up the AHL exactly the same way, considering he was matching Holland's AHL production two years ago? The "Holland faces stiffer competition" argument is completely offset by the fact that Bonino played with far inferior teammates IMO. Holland earned a shot at the 4th line with his AHL play. Rakell has earned nothing but the right to not be sent back to juniors immediately, he's been far inferior to Bonino, and if a center sits, the team is far worse without Bonino than Rakell. That really isn't debatable.
Why does everyone assume I'm talking about stats when I compared the two?

And what exactly has Bones done that makes him so far superior to Rakell? Cause other than one good pass to Ryan I don't see why Bonino as our 2c is anything other than an issue that needs to be resolved. The one way I can describe his game so far is what I've already said "he's fumbling around"

There are times where he does know what he's doing but those times are rare. I worry for this team if he's the 2c option for now and looking at the future.

Last edited:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009

And what exactly has Bones done that makes him so far superior to Rakell? Cause other than one good pass to Ryan I don't see why Bonino as our 2c is anything other than an issue that needs to be resolved.

Just my opinion but it's because he's more proven and he's been a defensive rock on that line which is needed when centering Ryan and selanne. Rakell is a rookie going up against the 4th lines of other teams right now. Whenever we've seen that line get caught out against the opposing teams top 6, they've been stuck in their own zone. At least bonino will help that second line get the Puck out of our zone safely.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
He's hardly been a rock

maybe rock was overrating him but hes definitely been the best defensively on that line by a large margin, and hes better than rakell in that aspect by quite a bit too. and that line needs that defensive prescence

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

And what exactly has Bones done that makes him so far superior to Rakell? Cause other than one good pass to Ryan I don't see why Bonino as our 2c is anything other than an issue that needs to be resolved. The one way I can describe his game so far is what I've already said "he's fumbling around"

There are times where he does know what he's doing but those times are rare. I worry for this team if he's the 2c option for now and looking at the future.

Because there's absolutely nothing else to compare as Holand hasn't showed anything at the NHL level yet.

Bonino is the only one playing defense on the 2nd line. The 2nd line hasn't been on the ice for a goal against, that's NOT due to the play of Selanne or Ryan. He may not be the answer to a 2nd line that scores but right now he's the reason they don't have a 2nd line that's a detriment to the team. One of the other two needs to prove they can do the same before taking that position.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think it's a little early to start shuffling things. Anaheim has been sloppy, but at this point we don't know how much of their issues are because of rust and timing issues, and how much of it is the need to make changes.

Ducksgo*

I think it's a little early to start shuffling things. Anaheim has been sloppy, but at this point we don't know how much of their issues are because of rust and timing issues, and how much of it is the need to make changes.

Yah last nights game was close to comfort. I agree

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Because there's absolutely nothing else to compare as Holand hasn't showed anything at the NHL level yet.

Bonino is the only one playing defense on the 2nd line. The 2nd line hasn't been on the ice for a goal against, that's NOT due to the play of Selanne or Ryan. He may not be the answer to a 2nd line that scores but right now he's the reason they don't have a 2nd line that's a detriment to the team. One of the other two needs to prove they can do the same before taking that position.

I don't mean to be snarky but he did play 4 games last year and he wasn't fantastic...just capable. Quite similar to the way Bonino is playing right now. I'm not saying give his spot away, I'm just saying if this play from Bonino continues Holland should at least get a crack at it or Murray should pursue options to put someone in that role. He's not the only one not doing well on that line but he sure is being ineffective offensively.

Corey Perry*

Other than maybe switching around some guys on the 4th line, I agree, we shouldn't be making any drastic changes for atleast a few more games. We should give Bonino at least a full week! lol

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't mean to be snarky but he did play 4 games last year and he wasn't fantastic...just capable. Quite similar to the way Bonino is playing right now. I'm not saying give his spot away, I'm just saying if this play from Bonino continues Holland should at least get a crack at it or Murray should pursue options to put someone in that role. He's not the only one not doing well on that line but he sure is being ineffective offensively.

Holland had 1 shot, 1 goal, and a 38.9% on face offs last year. On the 4th line. That doesn't scream capable.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Holland had 1 shot, 1 goal, and a 38.9% on face offs last year. On the 4th line. That doesn't scream capable.

Yet again you resort to stats to make a point. I get it. We don't have his shifts in their entirety on video...never mind. I'm done with this. I'll wait until Bonino actually does something worthwhile to get on the bandwagon because obviously some people think he's doing just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad