GDT: Game 2: Carolina vs Columbus, 7pm

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Here's why the Canes are doing the right thing.

First, where's the money? The money is in season tickets. Period, full stop. Pretend that walkup traffic doesn't matter, because it literally doesn't in the long term. Your goal is to sell 18000 season tickets.

Why? Because it's the money that renews. In the software business, no one sells boxes of software anymore; you sell subscriptions. The cost of retaining a customer is *way way way* lower than the cost of gaining a net new customer. Thus, literally every decision the org makes comes back to a single question: "how does this affect the current customer base?"

So now, how do you get new season ticket holders?

When the team is losing, YOU DON'T.

When you're in a stretch where the team isn't going to win, and you know the team isn't going to win, you streamline your business. You focus on operations. You make sure that you're providing your season ticket holders the best experience at the best price, and once you know they're happy, you squeeze as much revenue out of them as you can without risking losing them. You cut payroll and focus on rebuilding the org.

And you ride it out until you win.

Why is missing the playoffs so, so, so bad? Simple: because that's when the team has the most leverage. Want a playoff ticket? Buy season tickets for next year. Mrs. Hank and I bought our first 24-game pack to get '06 playoff ticket priority, and we bought our first full season tickets to get '09 playoff ticket priority. Me and Mrs. Hank stuck it out year after year, but others have faded over time.

Get to the playoffs. Use that as the lever to build your base. Survive in the meantime. Period.

I agree with the overall point...but I still sell "boxes of software". Then again, .gov is not all about the SAAS yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad