GDT: Game 18: Red Wings vs devils 7:00 pm et 11/22/23 (BSD)

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I was driving kids around all night to various sports and didnt see nor even check the score until iust now. Knowing that we had to play NJD, I figured we probably lost and was very aurprised to see that Detroit won in such fashion.

For those that were able to watch, did Jersey just have an off night? Or did Detroit just play that well?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was driving kids around all night to various sports and didnt see nor even check the score until iust now. Knowing that we had to play NJD, I figured we probably lost and was very aurprised to see that Detroit won in such fashion.

For those that were able to watch, did Jersey just have an off night? Or did Detroit just play that well?

NJ was just really bad. No sustained pressure, no effort, they were quite content to lose the game.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
NJ was just really bad. No sustained pressure, no effort, they were quite content to lose the game.
Yeah, it's understandable to be confident in Lyon after the shutout here, but the Devils gifted us a complete dookie effort after a Euro-trip that Larkin wasn't excited about coming back to. NJ had a really bad game, no discredit to the boys, goaltending included.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Mentioned earlier this was an important game. He's a little more insight as to why it's important to even just be "hanging around" the playoff picture.

After downing the New Jersey Devils 4-0 Wednesday night, the Red Wings (9-6-3) hold the last playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. That’s important because it’s NHL tradition to believe that teams in a postseason position on “American Thanksgiving” are likely to be there in April. The numbers say there is roughly a 75% probability.

Idk why so many people/posters don't like to see the team do well. Everyone on edge whinning/complaining about players, almost hoping Red Wings fall off so they can say they're smarter.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Steve91

Oct 8, 2017
Great win but I thought Fischer was absolutely terrible. Roll the same crew but Kostin in for Fischer

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Happy American Thanksgiving, ya maniacs.

IMO the Devils looked like the Wings circa 2020-21 last night, but the Wings looked like the Wings of this October - pushing the other guys off the puck and out of the zone, and scoring with apparent ease.

(I know it's not really easy.)

Only 1 dumb/lazy penalty that I remember, AND the refs were generally easy on both teams but, IMO, easier on the Wings.

I am very impressed with Lyon after 2 games. Maybe I shouldn't be. But I am. Someone mentioned they like his style in net, and that was right after he calmly skated out to poke a dangerous puck past an onrushing Devil, and I was typing the same thing. :) He just looks like he belongs there - I saw him use his stick and a "short charge" to warn guys out of his crease at least 2 times, and I may have missed others that the camera didn't show. Maybe next game he's in he gets shelled for 5 easy ones and gets pulled - I DK. Someone answered me before that he hasn't earned 1st chair yet. I guess, but this season so far, have either Husso or Reimer yet? And I like Husso. I want him to be better.

Maybe it's something like the season they had Ned & Bernier - the team was bad but they simply played better in front of Bernier, and that got them fewer blowouts and more wins. Did they hurt Ned because they didn't trust him and played "more scared" in front of him? I don't know.

So, is all that a recipe for playoffs? I doubt it - I still think they just miss in the last few games. I know they are constently better than prior seasons. I know that hasn't always translated into Ws. I know they are more fun to watch, and it's not just the scoring, although that doesn't hurt. I asked during a game once last season, after seeing them obviously sticking to LaLonde's "offence will come from good defense" system, "is this what y'all meant by 'low event hockey'?" and was answered "yes". As boring as that was at times, before the "Ottawa was our Waterloo" games, it was working pretty well. Maybe they need to try more of that for a while. I don't know.

But man, it's nice to know that it's raining curly fries again for some folks out there.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I feel like people aren’t quite giving the Wings enough credit. Not the best night for the Devils but the Wings were all over Hughes all night. Petry actually looked pretty good.

As others have alluded to Larkin is giving his all but he does not look 100%.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
i’m happy we won but make no mistake this Devils team is a hot mess right now. They are slumping badly, losing 5 of 6. This isn’t the same team we lost to in Game 1 right now. I’ll feel better when we beat a team who isn’t playing awful hockey for the past few weeks.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Weren’t the Devils, Sabres, and Sens to be the new wave of up and coming powerhouse teams this year? We are doing better than all of them. We just came through a very tough part of our schedule and are fairing not bad. Well done guys

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
i’m happy we won but make no mistake this Devils team is a hot mess right now. They are slumping badly, losing 5 of 6. This isn’t the same team we lost to in Game 1 right now. I’ll feel better when we beat a team who isn’t playing awful hockey for the past few weeks.
Not like they dominated us in game 1, we had a great game against them, shooting and pressing them, and it basically came down to 2 awesome individual plays by Jack Hughes.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nothing like playing a slumping team to break out of a slump. Devils didn't play well, but the Wings were solid except the PP. They need to play against Boston the same way. Neutralize Marchand and Pasta, and there's not much depth below that.

Expecting Lalonde to go 7D again. Fischer can sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad