GDT: Game 16: Red Wings at sens (GLOBAL) 2:00 et 11/16/23 (NHLN, BSD)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Chiarot can still have good games but I feel like the Petry experiment should be wrapping up. At the very least sit him and play 6 D. It looks like Maatta played big minutes today. Again, I didn't see how he did but in the past he has not been a guy who should be playing that many minutes.
Maatta got minutes because Ghost got minutes. Plus if Chiarot and Petry are playing <14, the others have to play that much more.

Only a Maatta of time before we see Ed, lol.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm very torn on Chiarot vs Petry. When I watch them, Petry usually seems to be the bigger problem to me. He's usually behind the play, out of position, making an ill-advised pinch.

Chiarot was noticeably awful today, but in general, he's looked OK to me this season. So by my eye test, I think Perry has been the issue.

At the same time, I have never seen anyone look good playing with Chiarot. He made Seider look like a 3rd pairing D. Is he having that effect on Petry? He must be to some extent. Is it the cause of Petry being our worst player? I honestly don't think so, but I honestly don't know.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
MQ3T2PQ.png

Why the hell is he ducking so much...

As he turned to look for the puck it came right at his face so he ducked, lol. Sometimes natural reflex gets the best of even professional athletes.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: lomekian

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
MQ3T2PQ.png

Why the hell is he ducking so much...
I've noticed this all season long. Particularly on longer shots it looks like he has no idea where the puck is and just shrugs his shoulders and tosses up his arms trying to make himself "big" which brings the head down.

I think Chiarot on the 3rd pair can be worked with, but you can't do Chiarot-Petry that's just nonsense.
Anything near 20 minutes let alone 20+ a night is just a recipe for disaster. He needs to be utilized much like a crash and bang 4th liner. In controlled situations where it doesn't really hurt you and most definitely not against the top half of the opposing lineup.

• Wow
Reactions: Realgud

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Let me guess - Larkin took your crush to the junior high school prom?
Good player. 2nd line C on a good team or the 20-30th 1C. Right there with Horvat, Suzuki or Rob Thomas. No disrespect just not better than the established guard.

Been spoiled in my life seeing Yzerman,Fedorov, Pavel, Hank be our 1Cs...now we on the other side of the spectrum maybe Nate Danielson will be the next guy maybe not.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Didn't watch but will gladly take the point after being down 4-0 in the first.

For real. Last year it felt like a 2 goal deficit was impossible to overcome. At least this team makes me believe they can score goals.

I like this trend, incomplete as it may be, rather than the previous one of hoping to win 2-1 and praying the shell formation holds.

The Wings have 59 goals in the first 16 games this year. That's 3.7 goals a game, which is feeling pretty damn nice (54 goals against). At the 16 game mark last year, they had 46 goals or 2.9 goals per game (53 goals against).

So they are scoring significantly more and not giving up any extra compared to last season. I know it feels like the same old losing these OT games, but there's tangible improvement.

Last edited:

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If Ghost got a healthy scratch for his game against the Rangers, then there should be no way Chiarot isn't in the press box against the Leafs tomorrow.

And if not, someone needs to shove a mic in Lalonde's face and demand to know why.

Reactions: Sentinel

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Good player. 2nd line C on a good team or the 20-30th 1C. Right there with Horvat, Suzuki or Rob Thomas. No disrespect just not better than the established guard.

Been spoiled in my life seeing Yzerman,Fedorov, Pavel, Hank be our 1Cs...now we on the other side of the spectrum maybe Nate Danielson will be the next guy maybe not.
Man, your talent assessment is so out of wack. Forget Larkin, you just listed 3 guys that are each almost in a different tier of player. Thomas is better than Suzuki and they’re both a lot better than Horvat with his career high of 54 pts (yes I know it was PPG but pace means notning).

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Whatever happened to the net front presence you guys used to have in the first half dozen games?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
My gripe with your PP remains.

Why The Cat is not used as the shooter?.. his one timer is (one of) best in the NHL....
why have him on your PP at all if you are not using him at all... jeeeesus ####

Your PP is a mess (i know it was hot, very hot in few first games but still)
Its like your PP is defensively based, i mean you have 2 d-men...

The "circle play" is a joke, the puck moves so slow, players are stationery
the handiness of your players is also no good, it only works for that stupid front of the net shot..

You have completely neutered PP Alex DeBrincat
-he loves to move, constantly, lower, higher slot, luring the opposition players,
sometimes shifting positions with the blue line player,
keeping the d guessing, disappearing, then striking when you don't see him

He has been obviously told to just be in that low slot position and pass the puck
to the player behind the net.... jeesh...

Cross the ice pass for one timers; the blue line player makes few passes back and forth with the player who is on the right side, making the d and goalie move, from side to middle,
then the right side player makes a quick pass cross the ice and DeBrincat one times it in,
alternatively, the blue line player moves slightly to right side and drives closer for fake shot
then passes quickly to left. for a one timer.

Its that simple FFS

Reactions: lomekian

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
HOW many bad starts/ 1st periods in a row till we start getting upset with coaches/players?

Like it's a routine problem and luckily Red Wings are talented enough now to dig out of it but it's in no way a winning strategy and they'll get smashed in an actual playoff series playing like this every 1st period.

I don't have like a good solution or answer I just know I'm looking at a problem that hasn't been fixed and just Lingers on.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
HOW many bad starts/ 1st periods in a row till we start getting upset with coaches/players?

Like it's a routine problem and luckily Red Wings are talented enough now to dig out of it but it's in no way a winning strategy and they'll get smashed in an actual playoff series playing like this every 1st period.

I don't have like a good solution or answer I just know I'm looking at a problem that hasn't been fixed and just Lingers on.

Imo, they had a good start. Played better overall hockey all the time.

Stupid mistakes giving up easy goals taking and stupid penalties to give a PP is a different thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad