GDT: Game 16: Red Wings at sens (GLOBAL) 2:00 et 11/16/23 (NHLN, BSD)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
MQ3T2PQ.png

Why the hell is he ducking so much...
Lol he looks like he saw two dudes kissing in the stands

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think putting Ed with either Petry or Chia makes the other 2 look better. Ed made Chia look better last year and Petry looked a lot better in the pre-season when paired with Ed. Neither of those guys can play a transition game well, especially Petry at his speed. Giving them a plus transition dman to play with helps them out a ton. Right now Petry should definitely be the odd man out as he has looked terrible since the preseason.

Seider- Walman
Ed-Chiarot
Ghost- Maata
Holl

Should be what we are running.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I think putting Ed with either Petry or Chia makes the other 2 look better. Ed made Chia look better last year and Petry looked a lot better in the pre-season when paired with Ed. Neither of those guys can play a transition game well, especially Petry at his speed. Giving them a plus transition dman to play with helps them out a ton. Right now Petry should definitely be the odd man out as he has looked terrible since the preseason.

Seider- Walman
Ed-Chiarot
Ghost- Maata
Holl

I like it. That would instantly make us better. Chariot is quite useful when utilized properly. Maatta should also play as he is our 2nd best defensive D.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Good player. 2nd line C on a good team or the 20-30th 1C. Right there with Horvat, Suzuki or Rob Thomas. No disrespect just not better than the established guard.

Been spoiled in my life seeing Yzerman,Fedorov, Pavel, Hank be our 1Cs...now we on the other side of the spectrum maybe Nate Danielson will be the next guy maybe not.
Being mad that Larkin isn't a Ferrari does not mean that he's not a Porsche.

Get over it.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
On that last play Larkin is far better served to just find the nearest sens player and jump on him and then lay on him.

Forget your stick dude there's 4 seconds left just take someone out.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
For real. Last year it felt like a 2 goal deficit was impossible to overcome. At least this team makes me believe they can score goals.

I like this trend, incomplete as it may be, rather than the previous one of hoping to win 2-1 and praying the shell formation holds.

The Wings have 59 goals in the first 16 games this year. That's 3.7 goals a game, which is feeling pretty damn nice (54 goals against). At the 16 game mark last year, they had 46 goals or 2.9 goals per game (53 goals against).

So they are scoring significantly more and not giving up any extra compared to last season. I know it feels like the same old losing these OT games, but there's tangible improvement.
We can certainly outscore more of our mistakes, but we still cannot afford not to start the game on time.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
He has definitely regressed since his first season. A “good” defenseman, but not the elite difference maker people thought.
I think that's fair. After his first season, most expected him to play better in the following seasons. Especially since scoring has increased during the last few years. It's too early this season to extrapolate his stats but he's scoring at a higher pace than last year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
One thing with the Seider Walman pairing is that Walman often jumps into plays or will make higher risk/high reward plays. I think that puts Seider into a more defensively focused role in that pairing.

To be clear I'm not criticizing Walman. More often than not his risks pay off. But Seider probably ends up covering more versus if he were paired with a stay at home guy. Then he could be the one going for it.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
For real. Last year it felt like a 2 goal deficit was impossible to overcome. At least this team makes me believe they can score goals.

I like this trend, incomplete as it may be, rather than the previous one of hoping to win 2-1 and praying the shell formation holds.

The Wings have 59 goals in the first 16 games this year. That's 3.7 goals a game, which is feeling pretty damn nice (54 goals against). At the 16 game mark last year, they had 46 goals or 2.9 goals per game (53 goals against).

So they are scoring significantly more and not giving up any extra compared to last season. I know it feels like the same old losing these OT games, but there's tangible improvement.
This is the frustrating part. Our defense is the exact same as it was last year with hagg/oesterle/lindstrom but we are just getting more goal support because of ghost (from D).

This is starting to be very clear on what the problem is: I don't think it is the players as much as I am starting to believe it is the system, or lack thereof. I can't blame goaltending as much as others on here (even though they do deserve credit for most of the GA) because you cannot expect your goalie to bail you out of bad defense. That is just not a recipe for success at all, regardless if it was husso back there or hasek or howard or roy or brodeur. Vasilevsky(?) is an amazing goalie and can steal any game, but he would not be as good as he is if his defense was our defensive system has been.

I sure as shit hope we figure out this defensive system sooner rather than later because if Cossa is ready in 2 years or whatever, I don't want him mentally fu*ked because Petry is giving up the puck at every opportunity he has and chiarot is just letting pucks go through his feet to wide open as*holes on the side of the net.

by the way, that goal and the first 3 in general no one can solely blame on reimer, the defensive lapses and the puck just squirting out straight to a sens player stick were just insane. If our defense played correctly or at least in the same realm of a defensively responsible team, we would be down 1 or 2-0 before raymond scored vs the 4-0 we had to climb back from.

One thing with the Seider Walman pairing is that Walman often jumps into plays or will make higher risk/high reward plays. I think that puts Seider into a more defensively focused role in that pairing.

To be clear I'm not criticizing Walman. More often than not his risks pay off. But Seider probably ends up covering more versus if he were paired with a stay at home guy. Then he could be the one going for it.
and yet seider is still having a career(?) year pace in points...isn't he?

Reactions: OneMoreTry

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

We should pair Seider with someone like Lilja who won't be jumping forward to score.

• Haha

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Being mad that Larkin isn't a Ferrari does not mean that he's not a Porsche.

Get over it.
Porsches >>>> Ferraris

Seider- Walman
Ed-Chiarot
Ghost- Maata
Holl

Or... you know... play Ed with Holl who is a RD and both Petry and Chia can f*** right off.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
and yet seider is still having a career(?) year pace in points...isn't he?

Not sure honestly.

To be clear it wasn't a criticism of Seider. I think people are on him a bit because they don't see the swagger from the first year. But I think it's because he's playing a bit more conservatively in terms of jumping into the play because his defensive partner is often the first to do it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I know Lilypads got a lot of flack from Wings fans but I always had a ton of respect for the guy. A stay at home Dman who did whatever was asked of him. Blocked shots but also because he basically learned to fight at the NHL (which is insane) because the team needed that physicality.

And dang, I didn't remember him being that handsome. Those Swedes age well.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Not sure honestly.

To be clear it wasn't a criticism of Seider. I think people are on him a bit because they don't see the swagger from the first year. But I think it's because he's playing a bit more conservatively in terms of jumping into the play because his defensive partner is often the first to do it.
oh i know you weren't criticizing, I was adding to your point in a side note because seider is good offensively but is playing much more defensively because of walman's decision-making, yet he is still contributing a lot of offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad