GDT: Game 12| Pittsburgh at Minnesota Sat, Oct. 28th 8:00PM XEC|FS-N, ATTSN-PT|"Everybody Wants Some!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In terms of philosophy, I actually 100% agree with Sullivan on a few things.

1) The team is at it's best running 4 skilled lines. Run 4 and teams cannot keep up with us. Right now we cannot do that.

2) The best defense is staying in the offensive zone. And that's my argument for that 4th line. Kuhn/Reaves cannot possess the puck and Kuhn's best attributes are exactly what the team doesn't want to get into for an identity - playing defense. So the Pens are at their best when they are attacking and then flying back on transition defense. That makes the opposition dump the puck, change, and we go back at it.

Totally agree. But unfortunately the team hasn't been playing the way he would like since the 2015-16 playoff run and playoffs. We did not play a puck possession game last year even with a better fourth line, or at least weren't successful at it, but we overcame the Corsi issues by being opportunistic and burying our chances when we had them. That's why Sid and a Geno were leading the point race for a long time. Whether it's Letang or effort or whatever, we aren't possessing the puck well this year to date either, but we aren't getting the same "luck" with our chances. It's not just the blow out games either. We're going to have to figure something out to keep winning.....hard to rely on Murray being God every night

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Right now I'd say they have 3 very capable PP guys in Schultz, Maatta and Letang. Letang is just the most nonfluent of the bunch.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
At the couple games I was at this season, when Letang went out on PP1, Schultz stands up the entire time basically with a leg about to go over the bench. So he's typically the first guy to get to go, but he should be THE guy. We paid him to be THE guy. He should get the nod.
absolutely. Schultz should be the PP guy. Let Letang play every other shift at even strength and on the PK. But Schultz should be the PP guy.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Totally agree. But unfortunately the team hasn't been playing the way he would like since the 2015-16 playoff run and playoffs. We did not play a puck possession game last year even with a better fourth line, or at least weren't successful at it, but we overcame the Corsi issues by being opportunistic and burying our chances when we had them. That's why Sid and a Geno were leading the point race for a long time. Whether it's Letang or effort or whatever, we aren't possessing the puck well this year to date either, but we aren't getting the same "luck" with our chances. It's not just the blow out games either. We're going to have to figure something out to keep winning.....hard to rely on Murray being God every night

Why not?

If they are not going to use him in the secondary games of all these back 2 backs he should be primed to keep a flow going. Being in God mode still doesn't mean equal to a win. There are very good goalies and teams out there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Relying on your goalie being in God-mode, even when the guy is an absolute stud, is why the Habs are f***ing garbage. :laugh:

The Pens have some work to do, there's no real debating that. Thankfully it's stuff that adjustments and tinkering with the roster might fix as opposed to fundamental, glaring issues with personnel.

Reactions: Bumpus

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Relying on your goalie being in God-mode, even when the guy is an absolute stud, is why the Habs are ****ing garbage. :laugh:

The Pens have some work to do, there's no real debating that. Thankfully it's stuff that adjustments and tinkering with the roster might fix as opposed to fundamental, glaring issues with personnel.
and despite having work to do, we're 2nd in the East. Not a bad place to be.

Reactions: Bumpus

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think Minnesota is the tonic for a breakout offensive game tonight, but I'll take 2 points anyway we can get 'em.

Tomorrow night, in Winnipeg with potentially DeSmith in goal, is when (HOPEFULLY) the offense will bust loose.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't feel we are simply relying on Murray. Sid could have had 3 goals the other night. He got 0. Guentzel had some great shots a couple games ago - 0. I feel he's winning us games while our offense is waiting to explode.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't feel we are simply relying on Murray. Sid could have had 3 goals the other night. He got 0. Guentzel had some great shots a couple games ago - 0. I feel he's winning us games while our offense is waiting to explode.

They are playing much better defensively the last two games, better gap control and back checking from the forwards. But even Sullivan said they still gave up too many high danger chances and 2 on 1s. Of course some of that was Letang throwing passes at the feet of the Jets' players in our zone....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
and despite having work to do, we're 2nd in the East. Not a bad place to be.
:laugh: I hate that school of thought, man. I'm not implying we're bad. I'm implying that despite what our record shows, we have work to do. Guys like Murray, Sid, Geno and Kessel are masking some issues that could turn out to be a big problem come playoff time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
:laugh: I hate that school of thought, man. I'm not implying we're bad. I'm implying that despite what our record shows, we have work to do. Guys like Murray, Sid, Geno and Kessel are masking some issues that could turn out to be a big problem come playoff time.
My point is that even when we don't play that well, our team is good enough to win. If the team was acting like everything's great and just pointing at the standings, I'd be worried. But Sully knows we aren't playing that well. He's going to make sure that we get better. And when we do, we're going to be damn good. Again. But when a team can play poorly and still be 2nd in the east, I don't know how that's anything but good.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They are playing much better defensively the last two games, better gap control and back checking from the forwards. But even Sullivan said they still gave up too many high danger chances and 2 on 1s. Of course some of that was Letang throwing passes at the feet of the Jets' players in our zone....
Yeah I mean the 2 on 1s are directly led to Letang mistakes. His pinch when we had 3 guys in deep was idiotic - led to a 2 on 1. His turnover with 30 seconds left was idiotic and led to a 2 on 1. Those are individual issues. Not team.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hopefully they show up against the Cullen stealers.

I think they're in a weird place. They've been ugly defensively and that's gotten better. They were outscoring the defensive woes and Murray not being at his best. Now the offence has gone quiet but Murray is on a hot streak and the defensive game isn't a disaster. Right now they're relying on Murray and not f***ing him defensively all game. The team defense is a work in progress that I bet we don't see at 100% until the playoffs and the offence will eventually break out.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Actually, Crosby, Malkin and Kessel can all be significantly more productive than they've been. Guentzel, too. The two guys who have probably played to expectations or exceeded in terms of production are Rust and Sheary. Schultz was also off to a slow start in terms of production, but that has a lot to do with not being on PP1. Maatta has taken up the slack for him, though.

Murray, mostly, has masked some issues. That said, if DeSmith can give us a quality start tomorrow night, that becomes one less issue to really worry about.

Because we are on pace to lose all 19 back-to-back contests right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm just waiting for Sid to go off....any game now..needs to catch stamkos and Kucherov.

I say 5 goals in these next two games.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
My point is that even when we don't play that well, our team is good enough to win. If the team was acting like everything's great and just pointing at the standings, I'd be worried. But Sully knows we aren't playing that well. He's going to make sure that we get better. And when we do, we're going to be damn good. Again. But when a team can play poorly and still be 2nd in the east, I don't know how that's anything but good.
Nobody's saying it's bad, but there are layers to the situation. This isn't a call to push a panic button by any means, but it's important that people don't just shrug and coast along because things are great standings-wise in October, y'know?

I agree that JR and Sully are smart and have a good enough pulse on the team to recognize things aren't perfect and work needs to be done. I just take issue with the idea that being in 2nd place in the East, 20-some days into the season means things are peachy. Letang's a mess, team defense is a mess, our 4th line needs to be figured out, and we need a solid backup to take pressure off of Murray so he's not a husk of a human by the time the playoffs roll around. :laugh:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Can the pens kidnap Cullen and bring him back to Pittsburgh?

Hopefully he gets confused and passes to the players in penguin jerseys tonite.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nobody's saying it's bad, but there are layers to the situation. This isn't a call to push a panic button by any means, but it's important that people don't just shrug and coast along because things are great standings-wise in October, y'know?

I agree that JR and Sully are smart and have a good enough pulse on the team to recognize things aren't perfect and work needs to be done. I just take issue with the idea that being in 2nd place in the East, 20-some days into the season means things are peachy. Letang's a mess, team defense is a mess, our 4th line needs to be figured out, and we need a solid backup to take pressure off of Murray so he's not a husk of a human by the time the playoffs roll around. :laugh:
We just won two 1 goal against games. And we just upgraded both bottom 6 center spots, including a goal setup by one of the guys everyone wants to bench. Some of those things are already improving.

Again, my point in saying we're 2nd in the east isn't to say things are fine. It's to say that our team has enough positives that even when they have issues, they win games. That doesn't go against anything you're saying. I'm not saying everything is peachy. But I will say that things are pretty good. Our biggest issues are our recently upgraded bottom 6, and our best d-man who pretty regularly goes through inconsistent stretches is playing like he hasn't played in 6 months. Those things don't worry me. They need to improve, but I'm confident that they will.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looking forward to watching one of the most exciting teams in the NHL play tonight. The Wild are down Coyle(broken leg), Nino(ankle sprain) and Parise(back surgery...not looking good). Granlund just got back.

MN also lost Scandella, Pominville, and Haula over the summer, and replaced them with meh.

Wild have struggled to be .500 against mediocre teams this year, and their passing has been pretty bad. When Stewart has been your leading scorer(and he has had two goals called back), then you know you're in trouble.

Zucker has probably been our best forward. Always thought he would be amazing on the Pens.

Ironic that you are in need of a 4th line. We've got 2 of them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Looking forward to watching one of the most exciting teams in the NHL play tonight. The Wild are down Coyle(broken leg), Nino(ankle sprain) and Parise(back surgery...not looking good). Granlund just got back.

MN also lost Scandella, Pominville, and Haula over the summer, and replaced them with meh.

Wild have struggled to be .500 against mediocre teams this year, and their passing has been pretty bad. When Stewart has been your leading scorer(and he has had two goals called back), then you know you're in trouble.

Zucker has probably been our best forward. Always thought he would be amazing on the Pens.

Ironic that you are in need of a 4th line. We've got 2 of them.

All of this just means you'll be out working us and we'll be losing 5-1, as we usually do to you guys....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If the Pens some how manage to lose to this team, it'd be hilarious given how many injuries they have. But given that, I predict Sheahan's 1st goal as a Penguin tonight, maybe even Hagelin scoring as well.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Actually, Crosby, Malkin and Kessel can all be significantly more productive than they've been. Guentzel, too. The two guys who have probably played to expectations or exceeded in terms of production are Rust and Sheary. Schultz was also off to a slow start in terms of production, but that has a lot to do with not being on PP1. Maatta has taken up the slack for him, though.

Murray, mostly, has masked some issues. That said, if DeSmith can give us a quality start tomorrow night, that becomes one less issue to really worry about.

Because we are on pace to lose all 19 back-to-back contests right now.
There could be more production, for sure, but those guys in particular have bailed us out of games recently. I'm not implying that the big guns are cruising along, I'm just saying that timely scoring (and goaltending from Murray) have been the key to our success as opposed to good, complete 60-minute efforts from the entire lineup.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the Pens some how manage to lose to this team, it'd be hilarious given how many injuries they have. But given that, I predict Sheahan's 1st goal as a Penguin tonight, maybe even Hagelin scoring as well.

Meh any night in the NHL is never a guaranteed win. There is so much parity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad