Post-Game Talk: Game 12: Anaheim Ducks vs Pittsburgh Penguins, 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks lose 2-0, gotta score goals to win games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We were bad in the 2nd half of that game after a very strong 1st period.

Vaakanainen has been very good for us. He’s like a Toni Lydman out there. Steady and responsible, low event at both ends. I like
He’s never going to score more than 15 points in a season but he’s definitely an NHL depth defensive D if he stays healthy

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I thought the two culprits in this game were Lyubushkin and Terry. I know this is probably just the eye test, but it seemed like every time the Ducks had some sustained zone time, the puck ended up on Lyubushkin's stick to make a play. And he just couldn't make it. I think he's been a good partner for Mintyukov, but we need him not to be a complete zero offensively.

Terry is just broken right now on that top line. I don't know if it's him personally trying to do too much or if it's the chemistry of that line. He was back to the Terry of three years ago where a stiff breeze would cause him to lose possession. I think that line needs to be broken up.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Didn't see anyone post the stat cards...

View attachment 765109

I would like to start seeing some consistency in the order of effectiveness, as it stands our players are flip-flopping between good and bad nights, though amazingly I think Strome and Vatrano are pretty regularly near the top, with McT struggling a bit more this game?

Yeah, you saw the blueprint of what we want to be, but still a little bit of a ways to go. Mac and Leo were overwhelmed physically by Malkin and Crosby last night, I thought.

LaCombe has also been fighting it lately with top-pairing minutes. I think Drysdale simply coming back and dropping Jackson to 2nd pairing matchups is gonna solve a lot of his issues tremendously

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gibson was great, but it doesn't have to be black or white. It's OK to acknowledge that he was great but also note that the goal he allowed wasn't good. There doesn't have to be blame assigned to the goalie or the offense, either. A balanced assessment would be that the goalie was outstanding tonight despite letting in a soft goal. The offense had chances but couldn't put anything in the net. No scapegoat required.

You are just reiterating what I'm saying. Did you see the post I was responding too?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah, you saw the blueprint of what we want to be, but still a little bit of a ways to go. Mac and Leo were overwhelmed physically by Malkin and Crosby last night, I thought.

LaCombe has also been fighting it lately with top-pairing minutes. I think Drysdale simply coming back and dropping Jackson to 2nd pairing matchups is gonna solve a lot of his issues tremendously

I have to disagree with LaCombe fighting it. The stat cards don't match the eye test. The only ES goal allowed was due to a forward not backchecking and Fowler. LaCombe kept to his assignment on the right side. Also, Lacombe had the 2nd most PK time, where the PK unit did go 2 for 2. I didn't see too much wrong with LaCombe last night. I saw a lot of good things that go unnoticed such as a few soft interferences behind our net when Fowler has to puck so that Fowler has time to assess and pass the puck out.

The Ducks gave up only 1 ES goal in a very sleepy game for both teams, but that score card shares a completely different game.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We were bad in the 2nd half of that game after a very strong 1st period.

Vaakanainen has been very good for us. He’s like a Toni Lydman out there. Steady and responsible, low event at both ends. I like
He’s never going to score more than 15 points in a season but he’s definitely an NHL depth defensive D if he stays healthy
I think the defensemen who are on pairings that they belong on are doing well. I think that the defenseman who are being forced by necessity to play above where they should be playing are struggling, which is what you’d expect to occur, and to worsen as time goes by.

I think the next 2-3 weeks will show how much of the start was simply the usual players playing on the adrenaline of a new coach for 10-15 games, and how much was actual team improvement.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I think the defensemen who are on pairings that they belong on are doing well. I think that the defenseman who are being forced by necessity to play above where they should be playing are struggling, which is what you’d expect to occur, and to worsen as time goes by.

I think the next 2-3 weeks will show how much of the start was simply the usual players playing on the adrenaline of a new coach for 10-15 games, and how much was actual team improvement.
Some of the start is bound to be that, new coach form. Also, we should expect oscilations, young, and not close to being "perfect" team.

Oct 18, 2011
Man, Gibson could have stopped 59-60 shots and some of you would still blame Gibson for not scoring a goal. He's gotten 11 goals of support in total. Dude would have vezina caliber numbers if he had a positive W-L record with 3 shutouts already.

If this is the Gibson the ducks are going to get every game. They will definitely win more games then lose
People quickly forget it was also his play that won the Vegas game. Not sure why he's getting blamed the number 1 problem with the goal was Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad