Post-Game Talk: Game 11: Anaheim Ducks vs Vegas Golden Knights, 5pm PT, BSSC (Ducks win 4-2)

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Just insane, this team... these guys actually know what they're doing out there. Great crowd tonight, too.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I get the sentiment, but at no point during the Eakins era--even when we were leading the division at about the 30-game mark 2 years ago--did I feel the same way I feel right now. It might taper off like it did then over a full 82, but the way the team is playing and what they're building seems more organic and sustainable long-term.

That season is kinda awkward. Murray resigned in the middle of the 8-game winning streak. Our interim GM didn't do anything to help the NHL club when the team did start piling up injuries. And when Verbeek took over at all-star break, Manson went on IR as we were 3rd in the Pacific. Verbeek didn't try to get the NHL team help. Eakins and the club were left out to dry.

When one of Fowler, Manson, or Lindholm fell to injury in the 2021-22 season, we put up three rookie D-men in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura on the same ice. This year's three rookie d-men (Minchy, Lacombe, and Luneau) are far better than that trio. And we have some talent in the AHL too!

It's funny to know that Mac was part of that 2021-22 season as he played 9 NHL games as a winger. He was in 5 out of the 8-game winning streak. Mac was returned to the juniors after our first loss from the 8-game winning streak, which was his 9th NHL game. Now, he's in another long winning streak, but in more of a prominent role.

We have a lot more talent and talent this year than the 2021-22 season. It's crazy to know we've been without Lundy all season, without Killorn until game 11, and Drysdale has only played in 2 out of the 11 games. When we lost just one d-man (from Fowler, Lindholm, or Manson) in 2021-22, that would significantly affect our play. We lose three top players this year and it's not affecting us.

This year's team has a lot of talented youths (5 top-10 picks), but it's also currently surrounded by a lot of vets and some vets who worked on their game over the summer (Vatrano and Strome). Our defense deserves a lot of praise, especially our two rookies, Minchy and Lacombe.

We're just gonna keep getting better year after year with our youths improving their strengths!

Last edited:

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Agree. I think Killorn would look great with Carlsson and Terry. Move Zegras to the third line.

Killorn - Carlsson - Terry
Vatrano - McTavish - Strome
Henrique - Zegras - Silfverberg
Johnston - Carrick - Leason

Zegras and Henrique can swap spots if Cronin wants to keep Z at wing.
I think there are two reasons we saw Killorn with Nico and Silf:

First, Rico and Silf have been around a long time, just like Killorn - shared experiences, shared mindsets. I think he felt that Killorn would pick up the nuances of the system more quickly by playing with them who have actually been playing the system in games.

Second, I believe he's giving Zegras an extended opportunity to figure out how to play with the guys Cronin wants him to play with. Right now, Z looks pretty lost - he doesn't know how to fit in. Some posters here talk about "effort" and him buzzing around, but goes what - Max Jones buzzes around too, and neither one of them have anything to show for it. IMHO,, if Z wants to fit in, he's got to talk to his line mates. learn their mindsets while sharing his, and figure out how to make things work. I've said since the beginning of the season that Z and Terry don't mesh -but I believe they SHOULD. NOW is the time for them to figure it out.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Mac line is now the top line, they are even getting more ice time it seems, and they should.

I really do think Cronin should swap Z and Killorn. Will have 3 scoring lines. But again we have won 6 in a row. So why make changes. I just feel Killorn is being wasted on the 3rd line, he was brought in to compliment our most skilled players.

I would like to swap Henrique and Z. Henrique can help Leo with faceoffs and I can see some potential for Z and Killorn to mesh.

Reactions: lwvs84

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Soooo... we had 6 SOG in the 3rd and 4 of them were goals :laugh: I assume McT had one of the 2 remaining SOG before he scored his goal.

I thought of going home and watching the 3rd period but not sure there's much to see outside of the goals :laugh:

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Someone said it in some other thread, but missing out on DeBrincat is actually stinging a fair bit right now. Because no way in hell are we getting another high draft pick to draft a long-term scoring winger with the way this team is playing.

Pat's pro scouts better start putting in a lot of work. This rebuild might be reaching the station way faster than anyone anticipated.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Someone said it in some other thread, but missing out on DeBrincat is actually stinging a fair bit right now. Because no way in hell are we getting another high draft pick to draft a long-term scoring winger with the way this team is playing.

Pat's pro scouts better start putting in a lot of work. This rebuild might be reaching the station way faster than anyone anticipated.

Not that they had a real chance at DeBrincat, but for the same reason you mentioned, I think you chase Nylander if he is a UFA. Would be a perfect addition.

The other option would be to trade Fowler in the off season or a young D-man of which the ducks likely have too many. It is crazy to say, but the ducks could trade Drysdale, Zell or Luneau and not really impact the current trajectory. That should get a very good young winger in return.

Reactions: Napoli

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not that they had a real chance at DeBrincat, but for the same reason you mentioned, I think you chase Nylander if he is a UFA. Would be a perfect addition.

The other option would be to trade Fowler in the off season or a young D-man of which the ducks likely have too many. It is crazy to say, but the ducks could trade Drysdale, Zell or Luneau and not really impact the current trajectory. That should get a very good young winger in return.

I really don’t think nylander is a guy Cronin or pv want…. And certainly not a piece that brings the right culture.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

One bad turnover f***ed Mintyukov's defensive metrics that badly?

This card is very funny to me because the whole game (while I was awake) I thought Cam looked awesome (outside of pointing at Eichel on his goal and a soft drop pass in the offensive zone) and basically everything I read in here was just shitting on him and his defensive play

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

IMG_4779.gif

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Soooo... we had 6 SOG in the 3rd and 4 of them were goals :laugh: I assume McT had one of the 2 remaining SOG before he scored his goal.

I thought of going home and watching the 3rd period but not sure there's much to see outside of the goals :laugh:
Vegas is a bit of a lobotomy to watch. That said, pretty much as soon as the Ducks scored their first goal, they took over the game. Vegas I think was tired but it was legitimately impressive to watch anyway regardless of the shot count.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I get the sentiment, but at no point during the Eakins era--even when we were leading the division at about the 30-game mark 2 years ago--did I feel the same way I feel right now. It might taper off like it did then over a full 82, but the way the team is playing and what they're building seems more organic and sustainable long-term.
That's fair! I'm genuinely happy with how things are going especially since the boys are actually playing a system. So there's a clear difference on the ice. And I'm not going to complain about beating the Silver Spoons.

Buuutt...hard for me to agree that a 6 game streak where 5 (right?) of the 6 required us to come from behind in the 3rd is all that sustainable. And I also don't agree that this is a deep team. If Terry and Z don't get their shit together soon this is going to tank in a hurry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad