Post-Game Talk: Game 11 - 2 points is 2 points - BRUINS 2 Vegas 1 F

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I listened on the radio as well last night. Bob Beers was absolutely top notch, but I didn't think Sirott did a terrible job. One thing he definitely made clear was how bad the officiating was, you could just tell from his tone. I think Sirott has room for improvement, but I didn't miss Beers as much as I thought I would.

I also watched some highlights this morning. Looks like Kuraly got his pocket picked on Vegas' goal, but overall I'd say he had a pretty good game with the goal and lots of opportunities around the net. Generally I thought the team battled hard, was good on the kill, and I was happy to get 2 points out of this one. Glad Rask looked so good as well.

BTW, this is my first post. I've been lurking here for years, but just joined up this season and might chime in from time to time. I'm excited about the young talent and am interested to see how this transition goes. I learn a lot from reading this board and really enjoy checking in. Go B's!
Good first post. Welcome!

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I actually thought Postma had a good game but love seeing the young kids getting important Ice time and doing well for the most part. Still loving Big Z also

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Heinen has arguable looked like our best player the past couple of games outside of Chara and Bergeron. There's no way he should be sent down again. Kid belongs, he's versitile, can play anywhere. Would love to see them bring JFK up and maybe Gabrielle as well.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
What's wrong with Postma? Seems fine in the games he's played, nothing extraordinary. Comes in as a 7th D, eats some minutes, shows some poise with the puck, gets a couple shots through, decent skater. No complaints from me.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm so glad the team is managing to eke out points while the injuries have piled up. Not the most exciting way to watch the Bruins play but I'll take it! As others have said, the kids are getting valuable experience.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't see the hate for Postma. He does what he should, come in as a 7th defenceman and play decent hockey. His shots goes through more often than not and thats good if you want to keep the play in the offensive zone. Just because there are many good prospects waiting for there chance doesn't mean that you should hate on a guy doing his job. You need both youth and experience on a team and you can't have it all at the same time, the d prospects time will come sooner or later!

I don't see it either. Wish he was a lefty, though.

Debrusk had some bad moments. His -8 now leads the team.

Notice how many times Bruins wingers break down the right side but have to pull up and turn around onto their forehands. (Because they're all lefties and no one seems to be able to use the backhand anymore)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here’s what we learned about the Bruins Thursday night

Some thoughts, reflections, recollections, and a few shots high off the glass following the Bruins’ 2-1 win over the Vegas Golden Knights Thursday night at TD Garden.
■ Until further notice, Sean Kuraly is David Backes. With Backes undergoing surgery Thursday to remove a portion of his colon, the Bruins need a big body up front to help add some structure to a hybrid NHL/AHL forward lineup.
Kuraly, using his 6-foot-2-inch, 205-pound frame to box out at the right post, knocked home the winning goal midway through the third period. His career résumé is far leaner than that of the 33-year-old Backes, but Kuraly plays center, is a similarly big body, and plays with a rookie’s energy and enthusiasm that coach Bruce Cassidy is hoping to harness.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...rsday-night/6RTnhyn6TlriCSLSeQX91N/story.html

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
I don't see it either. Wish he was a lefty, though.

Debrusk had some bad moments. His -8 now leads the team.

Notice how many times Bruins wingers break down the right side but have to pull up and turn around onto their forehands. (Because they're all lefties and no one seems to be able to use the backhand anymore)

oof.. so his eye test so far has been significantly better than the production. i pretty much always think he looks impressive. don't remember any glaring gaffes either. i guess he made one last night but i didn't see it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I agree and I wasn't one bit suprised when Vancouver swept us in the 2011 Cup Finals

Boston rolled out mid to late second rounders like Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, and a third rounder in Marchand on their top 6

No match for the Sedins taken in the top 3 of the first round or Kessler
:laugh: Thanks Dan. Your post cracked me up.:laugh:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'll let someone else be shocked
I agree and I wasn't one bit suprised when Vancouver swept us in the 2011 Cup Finals

Boston rolled out mid to late second rounders like Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, and a third rounder in Marchand on their top 6

No match for the Sedins taken in the top 3 of the first round or Kessler
Thanks for pointing out ONE instance where dressing 9 first rounders versus the opponent's 3 results in a loss because of a 9th round goaltender. What's the biggest memory for most people from that playoff? TT.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I listened on the radio as well last night. Bob Beers was absolutely top notch, but I didn't think Sirott did a terrible job. One thing he definitely made clear was how bad the officiating was, you could just tell from his tone. I think Sirott has room for improvement, but I didn't miss Beers as much as I thought I would.

I also watched some highlights this morning. Looks like Kuraly got his pocket picked on Vegas' goal, but overall I'd say he had a pretty good game with the goal and lots of opportunities around the net. Generally I thought the team battled hard, was good on the kill, and I was happy to get 2 points out of this one. Glad Rask looked so good as well.

BTW, this is my first post. I've been lurking here for years, but just joined up this season and might chime in from time to time. I'm excited about the young talent and am interested to see how this transition goes. I learn a lot from reading this board and really enjoy checking in. Go B's!
Welcome to the board !

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Take the two points. I actually didn't think they played too poorly. The D was very strong. You knew it was going to be a struggle defensively.

They HAVE to find a way to keep the 63-37-88 line together once everyone is healthy. They are just so good.

McAvoy has to get better at not letting people get by him on the outside. Too many penalties and too many changes on that one play. Other than that, he's a rock.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
KEVIN PAUL DUPONT
Here’s what we learned about the Bruins Thursday night

■ Until further notice, Sean Kuraly is David Backes. With Backes undergoing surgery Thursday to remove a portion of his colon, the Bruins need a big body up front to help add some structure to a hybrid NHL/AHL forward lineup.

■ Jordan Szwarz, playing in his first game as a Bruin, didn’t get on the scoresheet, but he chipped in with three shots on net, spending much of the night between Danton Heinen and Anders Bjork (three shots between them). He also had a brief twirl with those two on the No. 2 power-play unit and added 22 seconds of penalty-kill duty.

■ Rookie standout Charlie McAvoy had a relatively quiet night for his 23:12 of ice time. He didn’t factor in the scoring and attempted but one shot (blocked). However he did land a game-high seven hits, after averaging only two a night in his previous 10 games.

■ Painful lesson for rookie Jake DeBrusk, who was one stride from leading a two-on-one breakout from his defensive zone until Nate Schmidt clipped the puck off his stick. Some three seconds after the steal, Cody Eakin cashed in the 1-1 equalizer.

■ Other than a 31-second span of the first period vs Vancouver on Oct. 19, the Bruins have not trailed on the scoreboard in their last five home games (3-0-2).

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Originally posted by GloryDaze4877
My son had hockey practice and we listened on the way home. The new guy couldn’t hold Goucher’s jock strap.

He has these gaps in his play by play and it drives me nuts.

“Marchand dumps it in and the B’s go for a change...(2 seconds later) Postma has the puck behind the B’s net.”

This happened regularly. I USED TO like listening to the games on radio.

I totally agree about the gaps. It's basically impossible to "see" the action from his play by play. Beers is excellent, though, as a sidekick/analyst.

I think the new guy knows his hockey, and it is extremely tough to do hockey play by play on the radio, but still ...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for pointing out ONE instance where dressing 9 first rounders versus the opponent's 3 results in a loss because of a 9th round goaltender. What's the biggest memory for most people from that playoff? TT.

Uhhh, Tim Thomas did not outscore the 9 (8 not counting Luongo) first rounders by the largest deficit in Stanley Cup Finals history. People act like every game was won by a goal when the Bruins blew them out of the house in 4 out of 7. That's not goaltending.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
With the injury issues and us being so weak down the middle right now that is the type of hockey the Bruins need to play to win games and get points. I really have no issues at all with last nights game. I hope not everyone is surprised at what they saw last night.

I mean the argument can be made that Vegas was the more experienced team and for the Bruins to have a chance in this game and the games that follow we really need to clamp down defensively.

Also, am I the only one that thought the officiating was atrocious last night. From the none calls, to the calls against us. To the amount of times centremen were kicked out of the face off circle ....

Sheesh .....

They were horrible.

While there is no Bruins conspiracy, the Bruins top line doesn't get near the calls other top lines get IMO. I doubt the numbers will prove me wrong.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
They were horrible.

While there is no Bruins conspiracy, the Bruins top line doesn't get near the calls other top lines get IMO. I doubt the numbers will prove me wrong.

Plus, we rarely see guy like Z and Bergie complain about calls. Pasta was pretty pissed about the non-call in the slot too. There was a good chunk of slashes and holds by Vegas that were not called at all.

Brutal.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Uhhh, Tim Thomas did not outscore the 9 (8 not counting Luongo) first rounders by the largest deficit in Stanley Cup Finals history. People act like every game was won by a goal when the Bruins blew them out of the house in 4 out of 7. That's not goaltending.
The home games and the final game the Bruins just controlled the game, in virtually every aspect. Once the Bruins got angry it was one of the most one sided championships in history.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe! We have cookies ;)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
And plenty of cupcakes- when are we going to sign a real enforcer? :naughty:

Right now it looks like Kevan Miller is playing that role with only one hand.

There has to be a fourth liner or a defenseman somewhere who can skate, play the game and take care of business. I don't like not having an enforcer sooner or later someone is going to run the skill guys on our team.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you want to win this I'm good.
Yes the Bruins were 'meh' and TT won it for them.

Great points

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Not to re-hash old history too much, but I shake my head when I read (mostly from fans of other teams, mostly Van. and Hab fans) that the 2011 cup win was ALL Tim Thomas. Thomas kept them in the games in that final they lost, and he played well in the games they won, but they won all of those games by a significant margin. Like you said, that's not just goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad