GDT: Game 10: Red Wings at isle 7:30 et 10/30/23

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This wasn’t a perfect game, but it was a COMPLETE game.

Great pushback. Few major mistakes. Goaltending was good, and if Husso was just average there would have been 6 goals against. Superb game by Compher, Seider and Walman. DeBrincat saved our asses in OT with his backcheck on that 2-on-1.

Very proud of this team right now.

I'm not sure what you're considering an average NHL goalie because Husso's SV% is well below average. I get that this defense makes a lot of mistakes, but he's gotta do a better job of bailing the team out because this team will not make the playoffs by trying to outscore their mistakes like the Kraken did last season. The secondary scoring just isn't consistent enough to win high scoring games.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm not sure what you're considering an average NHL goalie because Husso's SV% is well below average. I get that this defense makes a lot of mistakes, but he's gotta do a better job of bailing the team out because this team will not make the playoffs by trying to outscore their mistakes like the Kraken did last season. The secondary scoring just isn't consistent enough to win high scoring games.
Que? Husso's SV% is .900. The save percentage of the league as a whole is .901. I'd categorize that as ever so slightly below average. If not near as makes no difference to average.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

You gotta stop trying to only focus on the lead lining.
Husso was .925 against 40 shots. Many were deadly. He outdueled a Vezina finalist.

Be happy with a win in a highly entertaining game against a playoff team.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Anyone starting to wish we gave Walman more years on his deal?

May be the best defensive contract in the league that isnt ELC. Love that dude.
Yes, I love Walman more than he will ever know. He's reminds of Devon Toews just before he hit it really big.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Husso is not brutal, but he is bad. Every game at least one timely soft goal. It is not just a soft goal, it is a timely soft goal. If the wings are going to win despite of him not because of him, it might be difficult and frustrating.
I think I have to block this guy who said that Husso outplayed Sorokin.

Anyhow, great play by Seider on that winning goal. A desperate team won the game. It didn't look good after 2-0.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Que? Husso's SV% is .900. The save percentage of the league as a whole is .901. I'd categorize that as ever so slightly below average. If not near as makes no difference to average.

Dude, you're usually good at looking up stats. NHL goalies sorted by SV%:

The 16th best starting goalie has a SV% significantly better than average SV% of all goalies combined because you have shitty backups and shitty teams that skew the average. Husso comes in at 42nd, though 4 of them have 2 or less games.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You gotta stop trying to only focus on the lead lining.
Husso was .925 against 40 shots. Many were deadly. He outdueled a Vezina finalist.

Be happy with a win in a highly entertaining game against a playoff team.
If you swap the goalies between the 2 teams, this game doesn't even go into overtime. Sorokin would have stopped the 1st and 3rd goals that Husso let in. Both goalies let in one deflected shot, but that happens.

Husso's GAA is 3.28, which means that the team has to score 4 goals to win games. That's a tough task for a team that has Slow Helm for 2C and borderline AHL 4th line.

As noted earlier in the game thread, Husso only has one game where he let in less than 3 goals. If not for Compher's heroics, Husso would easily have been the goat.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

The 16th best starting goalie has a SV% significantly better than average SV% of all goalies combined because you have shitty backups and shitty teams that skew the average. Husso comes in at 42nd, though 4 of them have 2 or less games.
That's how averages work, bud.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's how averages work, bud.
The SV% of the average goalie is not the same as SV% average for the league. You're just bad at math.

Husso is 42nd in the league for SV%, only 69 goalies have played in the NHL this season, and obviously that includes all of the backup goalies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wow dude, you just don't get it do you?

Husso is 42nd out of 69 goalies, he's def not average. If you had looked at the list you'd stop arguing. I should've known you're just bad at math.
I'm not the guy who doesn't know what average means or how it works. But go on.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm not the guy who doesn't know what average means or how it works. But go on.
Yeah you are, lol.

Average goalie means half are better and half are worse, so it represents the median, whereas you're focused on mean of all SV%. Average can be mean, median, or mode depending on context.

... and Husso is #42.

Slightly off topic, but haven't you ever noticed that the average house price or salary is actually the median? It's because the super rich skew the mean numbers.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah you are, lol.

Average goalie means half are better and half are worse, so it represents the median, whereas you're focused on mean of all SV%. Average can be mean, median, or mode depending on context.

... and Husso is #42.
No. Words mean things. You not knowing what it means doesn't mean it was taken in the wrong context.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No. Words mean things. You not knowing what it means doesn't mean it was taken in the wrong context.
I just edited my comment, but look at average house prices. It's always median, not mean.

Median, mean, and mode are all averages. The most common usage is mean, but not always. Salaries are the same way. Always median.

Either way, average goalie would imply the goalie where half are better and half are worse. How else would you describe the average goalie, lol?

I'm beginning to see that this is a common sense issue, and not a math issue. You can go complain to Zillow and Redfin that they are using the word average incorrectly, lol.

Edit: Yeah, I'm looking at houses.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I just edited my comment, but look at average house prices. It's always median, not mean.

Median, mean, and mode are all averages. The most common usage is mean, but not always. Salaries are the same way. Always median.

Either way, average goalie would imply the goalie where half are better and half are worse. How else would you describe the average goalie, lol?

I'm beginning to see that this is a common sense issue, and not a math issue. You can go complain to Zillow and Redfin that they are using the word average incorrectly, lol.
Hop on some real estate forums and go ham.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hop on some real estate forums and go ham.
I'm not the one with the issue, lol.

You never answered my hockey question, how else are you gonna describe the average goalie? To me that means half are better and half are worse. That's actually the median goalie.

More importantly, at 3.28 GAA for Husso, the Wings are first round fodder even if they make the playoffs.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm not the one with the issue, lol.

You never answered my hockey question, how else are you gonna describe the average goalie? To me that means half are better and half are worse. That's actually the median goalie.

More importantly, at 3.28 GAA for Husso, the Wings are first round fodder even if they make the playoffs.
Plural, dude.

By averaging them. If I'm picking the median goalie, pick the guy in the middle. There is a reason when people are using median they always point out that they are using the median. Because it isn't the average.

Fun fact... 3.28 is pretty close to league average...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Plural, dude.

By averaging them. If I'm picking the median goalie, pick the guy in the middle. There is a reason when people are using median they always point out that they are using the median. Because it isn't the average.
Not always. Like I said, go look at any real estate website.

Here's Zillow for my current city:

Note that they use the word average, but it's median, not mean. I've seen it for salaries on job sites as well.

You still haven't the question, what is your definition of the AVERAGE GOALIE?

Plural, dude.

Fun fact... 3.28 is pretty close to league average...
By the way:

lol. You can stop now.

Edit: "Words mean things"

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

That's a terrible look for you. Please don't lecture people on looking up stats when you are using highly misleading stats to make a point.

Among goalies with 5 or more starts, Husso is 22nd in sv%. Not great, but it's at least a reasonable approximation of where he stands among starting goalies (29 goalies have 5 or more starts).

Husso is also one of just 10 goalies who already have 7 or more starts, and is 8th in sv% (ahead of Helleybuyck and Jarry).

He hasn't been all that great but you shouldn't compare him to backups or 1Bs when he's deployed like a true starter.

Now the real question is if he should be deployed like that or not..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad