GDT: Game 10: Red Wings at isle 7:30 et 10/30/23

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I still think the right bet is a solid push for playoffs that comes up a game or 2 short at the last minute. If I get entertaining and effortful hockey on the way there I am happy.

I would prefer a win but I'm with the rest of you guys in wanting to see an honest, 60 minute effort. The team hasn't really played a complete game like that this season, even in blowout wins.

My hope is be a surprise entry into the playoffs while Buffalo and Ottawa are on the outside looking in. Detroit steals a round against a team and shocks the league.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I don't think this is some severe reversion-to-the-mean. This is just a little mini-slump, in a tough stretch in the schedule.

I'm still confident that this team gets 15 to 18 more points than last year's team and we squeak into the playoffs. We're so deep, I think making the playoffs is about a 55% probability.

But every game is going to be a toss-up and we'll need some loser points. Which is great fun, every game we'll have a shot, and every game will count. This game is a tough one because the Islanders are so defensively focused and low-event. I think this version of the Wings will have a better chance against teams that will go back and forth trading scoring chances.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know why Copp and Compher on the same line was ever a thing... but can we stop it being a thing?

I've been saying the same thing. 2 centers that struggle to score shouldn't be on the same line, unless it's a 4th line like Helm/LGD. You might as well bring Erne or DLR back to play with them.

Compher-Joey-Sprong
Raz-Copp-Perron

makes a lot more sense to me.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I've been saying the same thing. 2 centers that struggle to score shouldn't be on the same line, unless it's a 4th line like Helm/LGD. You might as well bring Erne or DLR back to play with them.

Compher-Joey-Sprong
Raz-Copp-Perron

Or maybe keep Joey Velvet at 3C, play Compher at 2C, drop Copp down to 4C.

I thought I'd do my part to shake things up and bust the slump, so for my cocktail of the evening (rum old fashioned, my usual) I pulled a Crazy Ivan and used Two Flags rum from Diamond Distillery in Guyana as the accent rum (base of Flor de Cana 18 year, with a splash of Foursquare Empery.)

Not sure if it will work but I'm pretty sure by the start of the second period I won't mind either way.

I apologize now in advance for the drunken commenting that will follow.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Or maybe keep Joey Velvet at 3C, play Compher at 2C, drop Copp down to 4C.

I thought I'd do my part to shake things up and bust the slump, so for my cocktail of the evening (rum old fashioned, my usual) I pulled a Crazy Ivan and used Two Flags rum from Diamond Distillery in Guyana as the accent rum (base of Flor de Cana 18 year, with a splash of Foursquare Empery.)

Not sure if it will work but I'm pretty sure by the start of the second period I won't mind either way.

I apologize now in advance for the drunken commenting that will follow.

Dropping Copp down to 4C means playing Kostin, Fischer, Czarnik or Burger in the middle 6 as a winger. None of those 4 have shown anything to warrant a promotion over Copp. Burger is playing like he wants to go back to Sweden.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Dropping Copp down to 4C means playing Kostin, Fischer, Czarnik or Burger in the middle 6 as a winger. None of those 4 have shown anything to warrant a promotion over Copp. Burger is playing like he wants to go back to Sweden.
I'd bump Fischer up, see how he does with better linemates. He's looked pretty good to me. I'd just like to play our 4 best centers at center, and Copp's the fourth best out of that group at the moment.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd bump Fischer up, see how he does with better linemates. He's looked pretty good to me. I'd just like to play our 4 best centers at center, and Copp's the fourth best out of that group at the moment.

You must've gotten an early start on the drinking bud. Fischer is a warm body at best, he's had a few good passes, one resulting in a Joey goal, but aside from that he's been invisible. I'm critical of Copp, but I won't say he's as bad as Fischer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Compher-Joey-Sprong
Raz-Copp-Perron

Lol yeah, one of the reasons I liked signing Compher was cause I was thinking we would slot Copp down a line… not put them on a line together :facepalm:

Reactions: Gniwder

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
So we're not trying the 11-7 on the road anymore? I hope Petry can get head out of ass and start playing good

Holl the odd man out tonight according to Kulfan

Not that it’s very consequential at all, besides the fact we’re paying him 3x3.4 and it’s 10 games into his first season with us
So we're treated to the Chairot Petry charade again. When will that stop being a thing?

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Honestly, I don't care if they win or not. They just need to show drive and effort for 60 minutes.
Yep, start there. Win some footraces. Win some puck battles. Pick up the pace enough to where we are not the only team without time to think. Until that happens, they are going to just be running around instead of making plays.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
So we're not trying the 11-7 on the road anymore? I hope Petry can get head out of ass and start playing good

So we're treated to the Chairot Petry charade again. When will that stop being a thing?
i saw on one of those jfresh things that the chiarot petry line is one of the top 20 or something in the nhl lol

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"Deep in your collection of vinyl records, you might have Scottish warbler Chris de Burgh's "Living on the Island", a song about a beautiful and languid island paradise full of gorgeous days and sultry nights. Now, if you were to sail the cold waters the Wings are closest to tonight - Long Island Sound - you'd be be far more likely to run across an oil drum filled with the remains of someone a wise guy didn't like than you would be a candle lit dinner. What Detroit needs to do tonight is prove to the Islanders and themselves that they are capable of a long romance with winning, and that the first few games of this season were not just a one night stand."

- Plausible Keats

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
You must've gotten an early start on the drinking bud. Fischer is a warm body at best, he's had a few good passes, one resulting in a Joey goal, but aside from that he's been invisible. I'm critical of Copp, but I won't say he's as bad as Fischer.
OK I did get an early start on the drinking. But I've thought Fischer has looked good all season, in limited minutes. High energy, decent number of shots for his minutes and line mates.

Unless I'm already so hammered that I'm misremembering the first 9 or so games.

Time to take a break from the rum I think. I think I have a nice Japanese whiskey out there, I'll shift over to that.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I hate coming to play in this barn. We just don’t play well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad