Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Aww shit! Are the goalie wars back?!

Let's do this!!

giphy.gif

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
WUT!?! 2-1 Reimer who has better stats and hasn't allowed more than 3 goals in a game is a weak link? LOL. If anything he should be splitting starts with Husso.

I have no idea how Lyon will do with this defense. He's a career backup who did well last year on a good team. Obviously he's just injury insurance, not much else.

Regardless, you can do much worse than Reimer as a backup, Husso as a starter is a position that needs to be upgraded. That's why Stevie is drafting goalies, hopefully one of them pans out.

Dude, goalies are expected to make saves, especially at the NHL level. Every goalie has great saves in any given game, even Howie did when he weighed 400 lbs.

He's got technique issues with squeezing the pads when he lets one trickle through the 5 hole in consecutive games. Video coaches are gonna see that. He lets in soft goals every game. Go back and read this thread before the first Wings goal.

In order for Husso to win consistently, this team is going to have to score 4 goals per game consistently. I just don't see that happening, though I didn't see the Kraken making the playoffs last season. So far this team is outscoring its mistakes, and I don't think that is sustainable.
I would argue that husso isn't really playing mediocre. He has let in some soft goals sure, but I don't think they are purely "egregious". The goal through the five hole last night wasn't especially terrible. Yeah, he should have save it, but the player did a good job at going from left to right, making husso open up his legs for the push off. That's literally what Larkin does on like 90% of breakaways (including his most recent goal?).

I don't think we need to score 4 to win consistently while Husso is in net. We need better defense. Our defense is mediocre. IMO we haven't played Lalonde's system almost at all, other than the CBJ game. Other teams that have somewhat decent speed are moving around in circles in our D-zone and it feels like no one is trying to get in the way or anything. We seem to be doing well in the corners and have good backup when the puck squirts out, but when the puck is up high or along the half wall, we have problems.

If we just played defense and defense only all game, like playing a 0-1-4 scheme, we would win most games because we can find ways to score when we need it, we just need to stop allowing other teams to control our zone.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Reimer please. He let in the softest goal ever in one of his games, and his sample size is way too small. Husso has been good. Made key saves when he had to, especially early in the games. I have way more faith in him than Reimer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would argue that husso isn't really playing mediocre. He has let in some soft goals sure, but I don't think they are purely "egregious". The goal through the five hole last night wasn't especially terrible. Yeah, he should have save it, but the player did a good job at going from left to right, making husso open up his legs for the push off. That's literally what Larkin does on like 90% of breakaways (including his most recent goal?).

I don't think we need to score 4 to win consistently while Husso is in net. We need better defense. Our defense is mediocre. IMO we haven't played Lalonde's system almost at all, other than the CBJ game. Other teams that have somewhat decent speed are moving around in circles in our D-zone and it feels like no one is trying to get in the way or anything. We seem to be doing well in the corners and have good backup when the puck squirts out, but when the puck is up high or along the half wall, we have problems.

If we just played defense and defense only all game, like playing a 0-1-4 scheme, we would win most games because we can find ways to score when we need it, we just need to stop allowing other teams to control our zone.
Well, the team has slow defensemen so that's gonna happen. I even pointed that out as one of the keys to the game before the Kraken game. Video coaches are gonna see it, and it'll get worse. Most teams are better at making adjustments than the Wings for whatever reason.

I do NOT want to see 0-1-4, lol. We had enough of that with the Blashill Bla-shell AHL defense. No offense means you spend the entire game in your own zone. I think that one year he ran 0-0-5, everyone stacks up in the crease.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Reimer please. He let in the softest goal ever in one of his games, and his sample size is way too small. Husso has been good. Made key saves when he had to, especially early in the games. I have way more faith in him than Reimer.
Small sample size? LOL, this is Reimer's 14th season in the league and he has better career average than Husso.

Quite frankly, I think both Reimer and Husso are backup goalies. When Husso leaves, that's what he'll be, just like all of the other goalies that have left the team.

I'm having deja vu all over again, because this conversation is really similar to when I criticized Ned. Everyone jumped on me, just took everyone some time to realize Ned sucks. Well, Husso does too.

The big issue here is that the team hasn't drafted and developed a NHL level goalie since Mrazek, so Stevie has been forced to sign or trade for backup goalies and put them in as starters. Bernie, Greiss, Pickard, Ned, Husso, Reimer and Lyon are all backup level goalies.

(I'm starting to feel sorry for DBoss again, lol)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well, the team has slow defensemen so that's gonna happen. I even pointed that out as one of the keys to the game before the Kraken game. Video coaches are gonna see it, and it'll get worse. Most teams are better at making adjustments than the Wings for whatever reason.

I do NOT want to see 0-1-4, lol. We had enough of that with the Blashill Bla-shell AHL defense. No offense means you spend the entire game in your own zone. I think that one year he ran 0-0-5, everyone stacks up in the crease.
I agree and I don't want to see it either; however, we have not been playing good defense all year minus CBJ. And although that would suck to go back to the blashill ahl defense model you are suggesting, we also didn't have goal scorers on the team either. Or at least one guy that only wants to score. So, there would be a little bit of a change there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I agree and I don't want to see it either; however, we have not been playing good defense all year minus CBJ. And although that would suck to go back to the blashill ahl defense model you are suggesting, we also didn't have goal scorers on the team either. Or at least one guy that only wants to score. So, there would be a little bit of a change there.

We knew the defense was suspect before the season started. I'd rather see the team try to outscore its mistakes, at least it's entertaining. It'd be nice to have a goalie that can bail the team out and steal a few games, that's all I was getting at with my Husso comments.

No goalies available in UFA next summer either. I guess Cossa is our only hope.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

You’re not really a glass half full guy, are you?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It's been discussed, earlier in the game when the team was losing. You're not saying anything new, I even mentioned it in my response to you. He's allowed 3 or more goals in every start except one. If the team wasn't scoring 4 goals a game, Lyon probably would have started a game by now.

Reimer's old but he started 41 games last season, Lalonde should just have them split starts.
There you go. Finally.

Reimer is top 10 in both SV% and GAA, while Husso is bottom 15 among the 50 goalies.
Husso is not brutal, nor is he bad, but he is at best average. I don't know how people find him good. It is very strange.

Reactions: Gniwder

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Small sample size? LOL, this is Reimer's 14th season in the league and he has better career average than Husso.
What does his career average have to do with anything? lol

Small sample size since his outstanding season last year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well that answers to lot of questions :laugh:
LOL, what's worse is I did my grad school at Stanford. You don't get into a school like Stanford by settling for "good enough". That's why I'm always criticizing the weak link, instead of hyping what's going right. It's the mentality you need to get into an elite school. You don't gloat over the question you got right in an exam, you look at what you did wrong and correct it. Same with sports, you go over what you did wrong, not what you did right.

Hence, I look at Husso's soft goals. Yeah he made some great saves, but success should be expected. Maybe Husso's "good enough", but he won't win a team the Cup.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
LOL, what's worse is I did my grad school at Stanford. You don't get into a school like Stanford by settling for "good enough". That's why I'm always criticizing the weak link, instead of hyping what's going right. It's the mentality you need to get into an elite school. You don't gloat over the question you got right in an exam, you look at what you did wrong and correct it. Same with sports, you go over what you did wrong, not what you did right.

Hence, I look at Husso's soft goals. Yeah he made some great saves, but success should be expected. Maybe Husso's "good enough", but he won't win a team the Cup.

Hey Gniwder, I just started a "conversation" with you -- I'm curious if you're the engineer I knew many years ago, whose grad school was Stanford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad