GDT: Game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 7:30pm NBCSCA So it begins.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
The line combinations are hilarious because it looks like Quinn was trying to spread the wealth by distributing what little talent we have up and down the lineup, but instead he just makes the top 2 lines worse by handcuffing our best players to boat anchor linemates

It would be so simple to just run a top 6 of:

18-48-94
72-17-10

But DQ is too smart to do things that work

Also, Luke Kunin is not good at anything, I would legitimately scratch him for Labanc

I would like Sturm as our second line center over Bordeleau who doesn't deserve to be there yet. Sturm is great but for some reason to the coaches he has that "oh i'm a fourth-liner' stigma to him, he deserves to be higher up in the lineup with the way he plays.

Reactions: weastern bias

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I would like Sturm as our second line center over Bordeleau who doesn't deserve to be there yet. Sturm is great but for some reason to the coaches he has that "oh i'm a fourth-liner' stigma to him, he deserves to be higher up in the lineup with the way he plays.
If you're not playing Bords top two lines then you may as well send him back to the Cuda

Reactions: Cas

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If you're not playing Bords top two lines then you may as well send him back to the Cuda
Bords should be sent back to the Cuda because he needs more development but we're lucky if he turns into a 3C at this point. Why would you only play him in the top six?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I also think Sturm is wasted on the 4th line, he's very obviously our 3rd best C when the team is healthy

I understand bot playing Bordeleau on the 4th line but playing Granlund over him is malpractice, I wouldn't mind him taking the 2C spot while Couture and Granlund are out

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Bords should be sent back to the Cuda because he needs more development but we're lucky if he turns into a 3C at this point. Why would you only play him in the top six?
Because he's a complete dolt without the puck on his stick and that's the last thing you need from your 3rd or even 4th lines. He's a finesse player.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because he's a complete dolt without the puck on his stick and that's the last thing you need from your 3rd or even 4th lines. He's a finesse player.
He needs to quickly learn how to be at least an average player without the puck or he's going to be hard pressed to make the NHL. I don't see top six scoring potential there. Labanc for example was much better offensively at the same age.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He needs to quickly learn how to be at least an average player without the puck or he's going to be hard pressed to make the NHL. I don't see top six scoring potential there. Labanc for example was much better offensively at the same age.
I think Bords can transition quicker simply because he's faster and more agile than Labanc, who almost looks like he's in cement whenever he tries to change direction.

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I can never tell if people are serious when discussing the lottery being rigged. It's run in partnership with EY which has a lot more to lose than the NHL does if they got caught rigging it.

With that said, hockey gods will not ever let us win
I try to avoid conspiracy theories in all facets of life, but watching the Bedards on Wednesday night in a featured prime TV matchup for the second night in a row, I tried to imagine how different it would be if he'd ended up instead on the Sharks (or the Ducks, or the Coyotes) and it was pretty much impossible to fathom.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
At least for the lottery is rigged crowd, the sharks have a cool storyline to sell them receiving the top pick. Celebrini bring an ex Jr Shark is something the league could market.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I actually don’t think DQ is a bad coach and I think he’s actually been great with the young guys. He’s trying to spread out the lines, which, fair enough. He’s not exactly playing with a great lineup.

I do very much agree that I’d rather see Labanc on the 2nd line than Kunin, though. I mean… seriously.

Reactions: Sandisfan

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I f***ing cackled at this. Someone got him good. He went out when they started announcing the coaches, like immediately.

"It's your lucky day, rookie! Lowest numbered player on the team goes first. That's you Harvard!!! Get out there, gogogogogogo!!!!"

haahahahahahahaha

Hah, best guess would be Ferraro as he's the only one who doesn't have the personality of toast, and Hertl wouldn't be able to say it with a straight face.

Reactions: landshark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What a hot take. Petricki played 1 NHL game and was a bust. Thrun is still young and will make some mistakes but clearly has solid NHL potential.
Thrun is not overly big or physical, isn't a great skater and doesn't have high end offensive potential. If we're lucky he turns into a Matt Benning type but I agree we should save the hype for prospects who actually deserve it. We finally have some between Eklund, Smith, Mukhamadullin and Musty.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
What's going to be interesting is how and when Quinn decides to rotate in Kynzhov and Emberson. Do you put them in tomorrow? You don't want to wait too long and let them get too rusty (it's already been ages since the last preseason game).

Putting Knyzhov in for Thrun on the left side makes sense (not that I'd necessarily agree with it, but would Quinn really scratch Ferraro or Vlasic right now?), but who on the right side comes out for Emberson? Burroughs would probably be most likely but I'm doubtful he would after he dropped the gloves last night. (Again, trying to think like an NHL coach here, not like myself.)

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Thrun was easily the best Defenseman on the Sharks last night, by a wide margin.
Thrun was horrible in the D zone and didn’t do anything special to get a second assist. I can’t tell you who played better but Thurn had more bad turnovers than any of the other D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad