GDT: Game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 7:30pm NBCSCA So it begins.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I didn’t watch the 3rd (sounds like I didn’t miss much) but my very brief analysis is that the offensive lines are a little out of whack for me. Zadina and Hertl looks great but Hoffman was meh. The 2nd line was really just Eklund trying desperately to make something happen. The third line (and I understand they’re sheltering Bordeleau) has potential but didn’t really click yet. I liked our 4th line a lot, actually.

I think with some mixing and matching will help. I think it’s also obvious that we’re a much worse team than Vegas — but I actually do think we can be competitive against mid-tiered teams (unfortunately?). I honestly think when they get going, our offense will be pretty good.

Our Achilles heel is exactly what we all said it would be, though. Our defense is so bad, I feel like we spent 85% of the game in own zone. It feels like most of our guys can’t skate out of the zone/give a crisp first pass. It’s going to kill us through the season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The line combinations are hilarious because it looks like Quinn was trying to spread the wealth by distributing what little talent we have up and down the lineup, but instead he just makes the top 2 lines worse by handcuffing our best players to boat anchor linemates

It would be so simple to just run a top 6 of:

18-48-94
72-17-10

But DQ is too smart to do things that work

Also, Luke Kunin is not good at anything, I would legitimately scratch him for Labanc

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I’m on the road so wasn’t able to catch this one. Sounds like we’re off to about the start I was expecting.

I do have tickets for Thursday’s game against the B’s which’ll be the first game I’ll get to watch this season. Go Sharks!

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I wanna know who sent Thrun out there at the very beginning, lol
I f***ing cackled at this. Someone got him good. He went out when they started announcing the coaches, like immediately.

"It's your lucky day, rookie! Lowest numbered player on the team goes first. That's you Harvard!!! Get out there, gogogogogogo!!!!"

haahahahahahahaha

He's in luck. The Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar at the Fairmont in SF is only a very inconvenient drive away.
Trad'r Sam's closed for remodel. I feel like that's the one he'd be at.

• Haha
Reactions: slocal

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I f***ing cackled at this. Someone got him good. He went out when they started announcing the coaches, like immediately.

"It's your lucky day, rookie! Lowest numbered player on the team goes first. That's you Harvard!!! Get out there, gogogogogogo!!!!"

haahahahahahahaha

Trad'r Sam's closed for remodel. I feel like that's the one he'd be at.
Scorpion bowls for everyone!

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I agree that the lines are pretty terrible. We should just "stack" the top 2 lines instead of trying to balance 3 lines.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I agree that the lines are pretty terrible. We should just "stack" the top 2 lines instead of trying to balance 3 lines.
These are perfect Slackin for Macklin lines. Our few good healthy forwards (Hertl, Duclair, Barabanov, Eklund) are all essentially neutralized by playing with Hoffman, Kunin and Bordeleau who really don't belong in the NHL.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
These are perfect Slackin for Macklin lines. Our few good healthy forwards (Hertl, Duclair, Barabanov, Eklund) are all essentially neutralized by playing with Hoffman, Kunin and Bordeleau who really don't belong in the NHL.
I agree they're great tank lines, my concern is that it appears Quinn thinks this is our optimal lineup to win games, which is very concerning since I doubt he gets fired this year

DQ sucks real bad, and I'm hoping he's out of here ASAP so we can actually have a coach teach something useful to our young guys while they're in a fragile stage of their development, all Quinn seems to provide is steely platitudes while getting outshot to shit every night

The Oilers, Stanley Cup favorites, lost to Vancouver 8-1. Opening night.
The Oilers aren't a well constructed team, they have a couple of world beater forwards supported by trash defense and goaltending, they're not winning the cup

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I agree they're great tank lines, my concern is that it appears Quinn thinks this is our optimal lineup to win games, which is very concerning since I doubt he gets fired this year

DQ sucks real bad, and I'm hoping he's out of here ASAP so we can actually have a coach teach something useful to our young guys while they're in a fragile stage of their development, all Quinn seems to provide is steely platitudes while getting outshot to shit every night

The Oilers aren't a well constructed team, they have a couple of world beater forwards supported by trash defense and goaltending, they're not winning the cup
Good point. I’ll listen to you over many hockey people who have lived this game and been paid or played.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

As long as our young players show some growth I'm fine with keeping Quinn. There's only so much he can do with this roster. Even if he "stacked" the top six, it would still be worse than most other teams and the rest of the lineup would be borderline unplayable.
The Oilers, Stanley Cup favorites, lost to Vancouver 8-1. Opening night.
They were playing without Ekholm who might be their 2nd or 3rd most valuable player at this point. The rest of their defense and goaltending are awful.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
There is no Bedard in this draft, but the top end of the draft has lots of defensemen, with a few players of Fantilli, Carlsson level and then a Russian that is at or better then Michkov level.
I don't expect the Sharks to ever pick #1 so that's okay. I hope they get a good offensive defenseman with size and speed. No more Pickles type of defensemen with no size, no speed and no offensive skills.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't expect the Sharks to ever pick #1 so that's okay. I hope they get a good offensive defenseman with size and speed. No more Pickles type of defensemen with no size, no speed and no offensive skills.
I mean, if we drafted a carbon copy of young Vlasic next year, I'd be ecstatic, because he really was a phenomenal defensive player through his 20's. we could really use somebody like that (a great #2-3), even if they're not going to lead a team to a cup and even if we need a lot more than that.

I don't see that there's any reason to assume the Sharks certainly won't be picking #1 in the next few years. We have as much chance as anyone else to do so - probably more so, because of how bad we are.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't see that there's any reason to assume the Sharks certainly won't be picking #1 in the next few years.
Gary will never let that happen.

I'm fine picking 3rd. Dickinson and Levshunov look legit.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I mean, if we drafted a carbon copy of young Vlasic next year, I'd be ecstatic, because he really was a phenomenal defensive player through his 20's. we could really use somebody like that (a great #2-3), even if they're not going to lead a team to a cup and even if we need a lot more than that.

I don't see that there's any reason to assume the Sharks certainly won't be picking #1 in the next few years. We have as much chance as anyone else to do so - probably more so, because of how bad we are.
I'm just expecting Chicago to win the next 2 draft lotteries tbh

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Well Chicago can't pick #1 this year because of their lottery win unless they are the worst team in the league, which doesn't look to be the case. I think they are a 75-80 point team.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Well Chicago can't pick #1 this year because of their lottery win unless they are the worst team in the league, which doesn't look to be the case. I think they are a 75-80 point team.
I think teams can win two lottos in a 5 year period, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad