GDT: Game #1: Sharks @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
We are still a puck possession team, but we have definitely slowly moved away from That old school type of game many people still characterize us as. We do regress to the turtle when we have a lead though. And that is a slow boring style, so maybe people judge us by that. But yea, as the stats point out, we don't hold, interfere, hook more than other teams. The penalties bear that out and the NHL/refs would have no reason to favor a mid-market Midwest team with universally favorable calls that support slower play.

Speaking of possession, does anyone know of a site that tracks time of possession or time on attack, preferably broken down by periods? More than any game this playoffs, I felt like we got destroyed in possession time. I am curious if I am just thinking that due to the horrible second period, the last 2 minutes of 6-on-5 and holding my breath every SJ PP due to hype the announcer's gave it. Or did we really get out-possessed? Because if we did, that scares me. We won't win this series if they have the puck in our zone more than we have it in theirs.

There aren't any because it's next to impossible to track. For instance, if one player passes to another, the puck is technically not on either team's stick, but likely would still count for possession. That's a huge reason why Corsi and Fenwick were created in the first place. To try to quantify possession, since otherwise it's next to impossible.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There aren't any because it's next to impossible to track. For instance, if one player passes to another, the puck is technically not on either team's stick, but likely would still count for possession. That's a huge reason why Corsi and Fenwick were created in the first place. To try to quantify possession, since otherwise it's next to impossible.

Corsi and Fenwik are more to quantify an individual players contribution to possession, not the team. I've seen time on attack stats before. Its just an estimate of the time a team is in control of the puck (or last had control of the puck in cases of passes) and in the offensive zone. Or maybe EA video game hockey is leaking into my memory of real hockey. But I swear its something I have seen brought up in games by commentators before. Even knowing how much time the puck was in our zone vs theirs regardless of control would help paint a picture for me.

thunderchief1994

Mar 13, 2011
We won.
If we go up 2-0, thats huge. San Jose hasn't had any adversity recently.

Ranger guy stopping in to first say "GO BLUES" and then tell you that teams that take the 1st 2 games of a series go on to win that series and amazing 87% of the time.

I'm guessing SJ knows that so it will be like a caged rat on steroids for SJ the next game. A little luck, an early Blues goal, need something. I don't want to get ahead too far but taking game two is damn close to punching a ticket to the finals.:)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ranger guy stopping in to first say "GO BLUES" and then tell you that teams that take the 1st 2 games of a series go on to win that series and amazing 87% of the time.

The other 13% of the time the team that drops the first 2 is playing the Blues. We have a rather bad history of going up 2 and then dropping 4 straight. At least Jackman can't score tomorrow.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues played their "C" game. Need a B+ minimum next game. Came out strong the 1st period, then had zero compete level in the 2nd. Got lucky with the outcome, need to step it up in game 2.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
The other 13% of the time the team that drops the first 2 is playing the Blues.
lmao! Indeed!

There are a lot of signs from Game 1 that shows that we can dominate play with the Sharks, but also the Sharks can dominate possession against us. Some adjustments need to be made... the Blues looked totally out of gas in the 3rd period.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Out of gas in the 3rd? I thought they looked good till the final 3 minutes when the Sharks were doing everything they could

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
We won.
If we go up 2-0, thats huge. San Jose hasn't had any adversity recently.

Completely agree. The Sharks core is older (5th oldest team in the league) and full of lots of failure. Need to take advantage of that and really stick it to them as quickly as possible.

P.S. No I am not saying the Blues are full of lots of success. This is just going to be a battle of who is going to crack first IMO and going up 2-0 would be a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad