Game #1: Kings lose to Blackhawks 5-2

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
I wouldn't go that far. The Blackhawks are good, but they are returning pretty much the same team that they had last year. Every team the Kings played in the playoffs was better than the Blackhawks.

Not trying to take anything away from the Blackhawks because they are a good team, but the Kings were just awful yesterday. That had more to do with the Kings losing than the Blackhawks being good.

Toews isn't concussed and might play the whole season...Hossa was knocked out of the playoffs early by scum Torres. They're a good team, and we always have trouble against them. Thank the hockey gods that PHX knocked them out. They probably would've taken us to 6 games...maybe, maybe.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
They really need to put richards and carter back together.

With Kopitar out they have no option but to split them up and play Carter at C.

The only other options would be Loktionov or Stoll. They don't seem to trust Loktionov and Stoll in a scoring line role has failed miserably every time it has ever been tried in LA.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
If Kopi is back for Tuesday's game, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Gagne. Where does he fit in? Does King move back to RW, with Lewis sliding down to the 4th line? Surely they can't split up the fourth line with the way they played yesterday.

Of course, Anthony Stewart will be waived.

KingKopitar11*

The premise of what I said isn't on opening night for the 100th time. Gagne just isn't as good as he used to be . but overall what bothered me the most is that they put brown at right wing. That's absolutely neutralizes him. He's a great left winger and it's no secret he sucks at right so they put him right? I thought that was the most bogus part of our line up

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I just think it's funny all these Gagne detractors came out of the woodworks all of sudden.

I do agree about Brown switching to the right wing, though. I would much rather he play left. His best play last season came after he switched to the left side. Someone always brings up that he scored 30+ goals from the right wing several years ago, but that's exactly what it was, several years ago. He hasn't looked good on the right for years now.

KingKopitar11*

I just think it's funny all these Gagne detractors came out of the woodworks all of sudden.

I do agree about Brown switching to the right wing, though. I would much rather he play left. His best play last season came after he switched to the left side. Someone always brings up that he scored 30+ goals from the right wing several years ago, but that's exactly what it was, several years ago. He hasn't looked good on the right for years now.

It's not all of a sudden, he hasn't done anything really to have appreciation from kings fan specifically. In a couple games or so you will probably realize how mediocre he is. If he actually plays good then I will be more than happy to say he hasn't lost his touch but from yesterday and back no improvement

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Same principal for Gagne, he has been rather subpar for the Kings.

People are hoping he returns the player he was, Years ago.

Also I am not blaming Gagne for anything, I am simply suggesting he come out of the lineup when Kopitar comes back.

Gagne doesn't belong in the top six, the Lineup should go back to the playoff lineup.

It has nothing to do with yesterday, and everything to do with making sense.

I am just baffled people are ok with Removing someone out of the top six, and moving Clifford or Nolan out of the lineup, so Gagne can find his game....

What exactly has Gagne done to deserve that kind of shot at a top six spot ?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Same principal for Gagne, he has been rather subpar for the Kings.

People are hoping he returns the player he was, Years ago.

Also I am not blaming Gagne for anything, I am simply suggesting he come out of the lineup when Kopitar comes back.

Gagne doesn't belong in the top six, the Lineup should go back to the playoff lineup.

It has nothing to do with yesterday, and everything to do with making sense.

I am just baffled people are ok with Removing someone out of the top six, and moving Clifford or Nolan out of the lineup, so Gagne can find his game....

What exactly has Gagne done to deserve that kind of shot at a top six spot ?
By years ago you mean just two seasons ago? I don't know where you're getting this "it's been years since Gagne was an effective player," but it's just not true.

2009-2010
.69 PPG regular season (58 games), .63 PPG playoffs (19 games)

2011-2012
.63 PPG regular season (63 games), .80 PPG playoffs (15 games)

Those are still top-6 winger numbers. It's not like he's disappeared for years as you're trying to insinuate. Not to mention the fact that he's dealt with recurring head issues the past several years that ended up being tied to the mass he had surgically removed from his neck this past summer.

The hate on Gagne after one game here is ridiculous.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
By years ago you mean just two seasons ago? I don't know where you're getting this "it's been years since Gagne was an effective player," but it's just not true.

2009-2010

2011-2012

Those are still top-6 winger numbers. It's not like he's disappeared for years as you're trying to insinuate. Not to mention the fact that he's dealt with recurring head issues the past several years that ended up being tied to the mass he had surgically removed from his neck this past summer.

I was never a Gagne fan, Never wanted him on the team , was glad he was not part of the top six during the playoff run.

Also hoped he would retire. Has nothing to do with just one game.

He was a terrible forward last year as well outside of October.

KingKopitar11*

2009-2010

2011-2012

For the 50th time it's not one game and I don't care about what he's done on other teams, he's sucked on ours and for a guy who got a lump removed, you think he'd be more motivated then Nolan and actually play good on our home opener. Sorry if I'm expecting too much from an injury prone player who did good on other teams but not ours. I think it's time we trade him before he turns into a vegetable while he still has value for a top pick for next year. Take the safe way out and not risk losing him.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I was never a Gagne fan, Never wanted him on the team , was glad he was not part of the top six during the playoff run.

Also hoped he would retire. Has nothing to do with just one game.

He was a terrible forward last year as well outside of October.
A terrible forward on one of the worst offensive teams in NHL history? Shocking. A lot of forwards looked terrible for the Kings for the first half of the season last year. At least you made it apparent it's a personal vendetta against Gagne and has nothing to do with his actual play.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
A terrible forward on one of the worst offensive teams in NHL history? Shocking. A lot of forwards looked terrible for the Kings for the first half of the season last year. At least you made it apparent it's a personal vendetta against Gagne and has nothing to do with his actual play.

Everything to do with his actual play.... Just cause the Kings sucked offensively last year doesn't excuse anyone.

Unless you are willing to cut Stoll,Penner,Lewis, and everyone we through under the bus last year a pass....

Which none of us were that I can remember, now all of sudden.....

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
For the 50th time it's not one game and I don't care about what he's done on other teams, he's sucked on ours and for a guy who got a lump removed, you think he'd be more motivated then Nolan and actually play good on our home opener. Sorry if I'm expecting too much from an injury prone player who did good on other teams but not ours. I think it's time we trade him before he turns into a vegetable while he still has value for a top pick for next year. Take the safe way out and not risk losing him.
Have you ever heard the term "small sample size?" I think it's pretty apt in this situation. Gagne has played 35 regular season games for the Kings including yesterday. 31 of those 35 were under Terry Murray's Kings that were on an all-time historical low pace for offensive production. If you're going to judge Gagne for his production during the first half of last season, you should do it to the rest of the team. And if that's the case, you should also be wanting to ship out more players than just Gagne. Let's be consistent here, at least.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Everything to do with his actual play.... Just cause the Kings sucked offensively last year doesn't excuse anyone.

Unless you are willing to cut Stoll,Penner,Lewis, and everyone we through under the bus last year a pass....

Which none of us were that I can remember, now all of sudden.....
So why don't YOU want to cut ties with all those players then?

If you're going to judge Gagne on the first half of last season, then judge everyone else on the team for their play during that time.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Have you ever heard the term "small sample size?" I think it's pretty apt in this situation. Gagne has played 35 regular season games for the Kings including yesterday. 31 of those 35 were under Terry Murray's Kings that were on an all-time historical low pace for offensive production. If you're going to judge Gagne for his production during the first half of last season, you should do it to the rest of the team. And if that's the case, you should also be wanting to ship out more players than just Gagne. Let's be consistent here, at least.

Fine

But what are your lineups when Kopitar gets back ?

Who goes out of the top six ? and who sits out of Clifford and Nolan ?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
So why don't YOU want to cut ties with all those players then?

If you're going to judge Gagne on the first half of last season, then judge everyone else on the team for their play during that time.

You got it bro,

Lewis can no longer be a black hole for offense I think lots of people can agree on that.

Penner is on a one year contract already, and will be already bumped out of the top six soooooo.

Stoll, well we all hate Stoll so not much to say there.

Got any more ?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sutter also isn't afraid to bench a player when he's not playing well.

King was not even that bad, I thought you just said we can't judge people on one game.

His play in Manchester was about on par with Slava as well, Both lazy.

Gagne/Richards/Brown was awful, Brown was ok, But Gagne and Richards were terrible.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
King was not even that bad, I thought you just said we can't judge people on one game.

His play in Manchester was about on par with Slava as well, Both lazy.

Gagne/Richards/Brown was awful, Brown was ok, But Gagne and Richards were terrible.
I'm not judging King on one game; I'm judging him on what I've seen all year. No one looked especially great yesterday. I'm willing to cut a little more slack to the players who haven't played a competitive game in 7 months.

KingKopitar11*

He didn't do anything in the playoffs under Sutter. With that said, we are a Stanley Cup team we aren't bad enough to be waiting for an injury prone to make an unlikely comeback. What happens if he most likely gets injured again? As a top team we shouldn't wait for players like him, we should be getting rid of him while he's healthy cause its too much of a risk to keep him, put Bernier and Gagne in a package and you can get a great pic or top 6 back. Too risky given Gagne's recent injury history

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'm not judging King on one game; I'm judging him on what I've seen all year. No one looked especially great yesterday. I'm willing to cut a little more slack to the players who haven't played a competitive game in 7 months.

People have the wrong idea about Slava and King in Manchester.

Did they play uninspired some games ? Yes.

But also Remember that King and Slava were asked to do more than they are on the Kings.

King has a simple game to play on the Kings, That is not the case at Manchester, and it screwed up his game.

Just like it did to Nolan, Nolan was also very sub par in Manchester.

Hell Manchester's best Defender is no longer on the team, so what do any of us know.

If Gagne stay's then Sutter see's something in him That I don't.

That's why Sutter is a Stanley Cup coach, and I am some guy on the Internet.

Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. I think Gagne is washed up.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I'm done with the Gagne debate. We'll let the season do the talking.

On another note, does anyone know if the Kings practiced today or had the day off? Not having Rich Hammond to keep us updated on a day-to-day basis sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad