GDT: Game 1: Ducks @ Canucks GDT pt II: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The PP goals were scored at 0:19, 0:04, and 1:08 of their respective penalties.

EDIT - Bonino got 0:07 of PP time because he came out of the box. That's it for anyone not on the top PP

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It's not completely definitive but do you think that his level is going to raise that much in 4 games? I mean I imagine he will improve but I guess I don't believe he will improve enough to completely justify burning a year off his ELC.

Does the 5 rule count towards first 5 games period or games played? For example what if Holland plays next game and Rakkel sits? How many games does he have left? 3 or 4?
Games played. Remember Fowler sat a few while they deliberated sending him back.

I have no problem keeping him in a 4C role if his play continues to improve, that is of course depending on whether Holland shows that he can be a better choice for that role. If Rakell stays where he was at last night, then I'd have no problem sending him back, but I'd grumble a bit about the stupid CHL rules.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Games played. Remember Fowler sat a few while they deliberated sending him back.

I have no problem keeping him in a 4C role if his play continues to improve, that is of course depending on whether Holland shows that he can be a better choice for that role. If Rakell stays where he was at last night, then I'd have no problem sending him back, but I'd grumble a bit about the stupid CHL rules.

Didn't Fowler sit because of the Doan hit?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I dont think sending rakell back to juniors is going to help him personally.... if we could send him to ahl sure... but juniors i doubt hell improve much other then maybe getting a lil bigger.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I believe he sat an extra game or two after he'd been cleared, but I could be wrong. Either way, I believe it's games played.

Yes, you're right. It is games played.

I also think Rakell could show a fair amount of improvement over a couple of games. Hell, he got better each period, and in the 3rd he was getting more ice time too. Some players adapt really quick, especially, as is the case with Rakell, when their game transitions well to the NHL style of play. Whether it's enough... we'll see, but I suspect Rakell will show decent progress in just a few games.

I do want to see Holland get a chance too, I'd just prefer it isn't automatically at the expense of Rakell if DSP doesn't step up. Rakell, IMO, was just flat out better. DSP kind of seems like he's going through the motions.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I dont think sending rakell back to juniors is going to help him personally.... if we could send him to ahl sure... but juniors i doubt hell improve much other then maybe getting a lil bigger.
If Holland outperforms Rakell, then playing in the CHL is much better then being in the press box

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm just not getting the obsession with having DSP on the 4th line. I know Rakell is apparently "worse" on the wing and all, but does anyone here think he'd be worse than DSP has been this season(He's been awful in AHL too)? Holland is a much better all around offensive player than Devo. I'm also not totally convinced that Devo is any better than Holland defensively. Really the only thing Devo does better is hit, and he hasn't even been very good at that in the AHL, or in his first game in the NHL this year.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm just not getting the obsession with having DSP on the 4th line. I know Rakell is apparently "worse" on the wing and all, but does anyone here think he'd be worse than DSP has been this season(He's been awful in AHL too)? Holland is a much better all around offensive player than Devo. I'm also not totally convinced that Devo is any better than Holland defensively. Really the only thing Devo does better is hit, and he hasn't even been very good at that in the AHL, or in his first game in the NHL this year.
You are subtracting a player from our PK, a role that he most certainly outplayed Holland in down in Norfolk. You're trying to build our team according to offensive stats and ignoring the fact that Devo isn't here to fill a scoring role.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You are subtracting a player from our PK, a role that he most certainly outplayed Holland in down in Norfolk. You're trying to build our team according to offensive stats and ignoring the fact that Devo isn't here to fill a scoring role.

Rakell can easily take DSP's spot on the PK. And no, I'm evaluating who the better player is. I don't buy this crap that you're throwing out that DSP is better fit for that "role". Right now the only role DSP is fit for is the AHL. Even in the AHL, he still is pretty awful. I don't see how having a guy that has brought nothing to any team he has been on this year, is better than having a guy like Holland who has done literally everything asked of him in the AHL and training camp. I watched almost every Admiral game, and I don't care what role they are in, Holland is the better player by a mile. Why put an inferior player out there? I also like the fact that you're trying to pretend like offense from the 4th line doesn't matter. On a Boudreau coached team, it matters quite a bit. I guarentee with Holland on the team...Rakell and Beleskey's numbers would go up. With DSP on the team, well, DSP will probably continue bringing nothing except average penalty killing. If you're fine with going with a way inferior player, then well OK, but I'm going to be a very bitter man if Holland is sent down over DSP.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Rakell can easily take DSP's spot on the PK. And no, I'm evaluating who the better player is. I don't buy this crap that you're throwing out that DSP is better fit for that "role". Right now the only role DSP is fit for is the AHL. Even in the AHL, he still is pretty awful. I don't see how having a guy that has brought nothing to any team he has been on this year, is better than having a guy like Holland who has done literally everything asked of him in the AHL and training camp. I watched almost every Admiral game, and I don't care what role they are in, Holland is the better player by a mile. Why put an inferior player out there? I also like the fact that you're trying to pretend like offense from the 4th line doesn't matter. On a Boudreau coached team, it matters quite a bit. I guarentee with Holland on the team...Rakell and Beleskey's numbers would go up. With DSP on the team, well, DSP will probably continue bringing nothing except average penalty killing. If you're fine with going with a way inferior player, then well OK, but I'm going to be a very bitter man if Holland is sent down over DSP.
:shakehead

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Nice response. Good to see you have a well constructed counter-argument.

Good night
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Do you know what the one thing is that Norfolk has going for them? Penalty killing. Who was on those PK units? Hint: It wasn't Holland.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I agree that DSP has been less than impressive this year. And I'm not opposed to sending him down. But the kid is only 20, whatever we do let's not ruin him. Everybody here (including me) had some pretty high hopes for him last year. The coaches need to work with him and if he needs to go down they need to make sure he know what is expected of him and make sure he gets used in Norfolk in the way that will help him work on those things.

DSP is a prime example of why I don't like the idea of rushing these young guys. At that age, their confidence can be fragile. The last thing we need to do is set him (or any of these guys) back or destroy his confidence.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Do you know what the one thing is that Norfolk has going for them? Penalty killing. Who was on those PK units? Hint: It wasn't Holland.

Ok, that's great, but we have Rakell now. Rakell can be just as good a PKer as DSP, AND we get more depth scoring.

Clearly we are in disagreement about what is more valuable here.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
DSP had 0:32 on the PK last night, tied with Cogliano for a very distant 5th among forwards. He's not that integral to the team right now.

Winnik 3:06
Koivu 2:54
Getzlaf 1:34
Perry 1:27
DSP 0:32
Cogliano 0:32
Bonino 0:21
Beleskey 0:13
Selanne 0:03

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Ok, that's great, but we have Rakell now. Rakell can be just as good a PKer as DSP, AND we get more depth scoring.

Clearly we are in disagreement about what is more valuable here.
Excuse me, what are you basing that on? He has never played on the kill against an NHL power play. We have no idea if he's even ready for that. I'm sure that he can compete for a role there, as I've actually watched him kill penalties in game, but that was against teenagers. The only time I've seen him play RW was in the WJCs, and he really wasn't at his best when they put him there. He looked much better at center.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
DSP had 0:32 on the PK last night, tied with Cogliano for a very distant 5th among forwards. He's not that integral to the team right now.

Winnik 3:06
Koivu 2:54
Getzlaf 1:34
Perry 1:27
DSP 0:32
Cogliano 0:32
Bonino 0:21
Beleskey 0:13
Selanne 0:03
I'm not sure that a sample of one game is enough to draw a conclusion from.

Clearly, Boudreau has him here for a reason. I don't think that reason is to steal time from other prospects. If he gets sent down it will be because Boudreau feels someone else can provide what we're losing with his subtraction.

The only guys that I saw down in Norfolk that could possibly provide that aren't with our team right now, and unlike Devo, are better served polishing their offensive games: Etem and Wagner.

Oct 18, 2011
I like what someone suggested in the other thread, make Fowler the rover like Scotty, and allow Getzlaf to move back and forth from the half walls to the point. Having 2 shots as deadly as Souray and Getzlaf at the points will make PK'ers think twice about having to block them and with Fowler moving around it won't allow the PK'ers to be stationary, potentially opening up more holes, I hope Niedermayer can teach this to Fowler.

Really think Souray is gonna be a weapon on the PP, I'd dare suggest he's never played on a PP unit as talented as our no.1 group

the defense as a whole is gonna take a little while to gel though, I noticed alot of miscommunication/not knowing partner moments. Allen is gonna be very happy to have Cam back i'll just say that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad