GDT: Game #1 - 10.09.14 - vs Chicago - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Ah, so "Jerry World" is out in Arlington, not Dallas?

Wasn't aware of that.

Kind of like the Sens, playing out of Kenata instead of Ottawa. :help:

Yep, you can see it from the ballpark.

Somewhat related, it's always bothered me that the local baseball team doesn't have its stadium in downtown Dallas. There's nothing like that urban skyline backdrop at an outdoor ballpark.

Brand New Stars

Them going to the playoffs is good for us. We just need to go further than them to make a difference media/fan wise. Share that AAC dough. What would be optimal is a 1st round exit by the Mavs and then us making it past that point. The further the better obviously

I prefer titles for both.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Yep, you can see it from the ballpark.

Somewhat related, it's always bothered me that the local baseball team doesn't have its stadium in downtown Dallas. There's nothing like that urban skyline backdrop at an outdoor ballpark.

They talked about moving downtown but couldn't get much assistance from the city of Dallas to make it happen. Arlington ponied up so they built down the street. Too bad they couldn't have waited a decade then the ballpark would probably have a dome or retractable roof.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why?

Whenever I tell people around here that I like the Stars, they all automatically assume I'm a Cowboys, Mavs and Rangers fan as well - and yes, I know the Rangers are in Arlington not Dallas.

I'm all over the map when it comes to pro sports, though. I've been a Grizzlies fan ever since they were in Vancouver....just thought they were a cool team when they came in, and then I sort of liked them out of pity when they had that run of mediocrity early on. :laugh:

As far as football goes I'm really liking the Lions lately. Might adopt them as my fav team.

Dirk + Steve Nash

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Ah, so "Jerry World" is out in Arlington, not Dallas?

Wasn't aware of that.

Kind of like the Sens, playing out of Kenata instead of Ottawa. :help:

It was almost built in Dallas, but the city council couldn't get their **** together so Jerry went to Arlington instead.

Brand New Stars

Meh. It's summer. It's hot. Try to get tickets in the shade and stay well lubricated. Domes and/or retractable roofs in baseball look tacky. Every single one of them.

It makes a huge difference with the players as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it has an effect on injuries/performance.

Also, getting tickets in the shade is much easier said than done. Especially if you want really good seats.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I can't say I've never been to a Rangers game and thought to myself how ****ing hot it is. I just have an aversion to domes and retractable roofs. Baseball is an outdoor sport and bringing it indoors cheapens the whole thing. Temperature be damned.

As far as player performance is concerned, of course it does. I'd like to think that being used to really hot conditions gives the home team a leg up on guys who are used to playing back east or out in California with beautiful weather. Playing indoors also completely change how balls are hit in the air. I respect your opinion, it's just not one I can share.

Brand New Stars

I understand that an outdoor park looks better. However, I don't agree with the heat giving the home team an advantage. Having to deal with it all season has to wear them down, thus taking away that advantage. I'd say temperature is a huge advantage in football because they don't have to deal with it nearly as often.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Eh, we both have reasonable theories on weather acclimation or lack thereof. For definitive proof one way or the other we would need scientific proof one way or the other.

Btw, my original point, that it would be awesome to have the ballpark in downtown Dallas would help with the weather factor too, depending on how exactly it's situated. Tall building nearby could offer "natural" shade that isn't available when the stadium is out on a big flat piece of land with nothing around it.

A central location would benefit the team too. The trek to Arlington from McKinney isn't something I'll do willy nilly. I haven't been to a game this season, but if it wasn't so ******* far I would have popped down to a few games in Dallas. At least then you can go out after and enjoy the Dallas scene if you're into that.

Brand New Stars

I like that idea of a tall building or two in Dallas blocking out a lot of direct rays from the sun. Yeah, the drive from McKinney to Arlington sucks so I don't go to nearly as many games as I'd like to. Being able to take the DART for Stars games is fantastic.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I understand that an outdoor park looks better. However, I don't agree with the heat giving the home team an advantage. Having to deal with it all season has to wear them down, thus taking away that advantage. I'd say temperature is a huge advantage in football because they don't have to deal with it nearly as often.

Having been to home games at Minute maid, and the ball park, retractable roof, keep closed and air conditioned, open it just before the games, if your in the non shady side of the ball park its miserable.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
29 days.

6a00e54f7fc4c58833017616110a00970c-pi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad