Player Discussion Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Some of you brought up good arguments but the problem I have is some of your comparisons are too linear. Take depression... an affliction of the mind, yes? Bipolar, anger and so on, these are all mental illnesses? Well, I happen to know somebody who is bipolar who also developed alcoholism as a means to deal with it.

What I find ridiculous is people here are trying to trump up one illness as being worst than another. Well, not that I think many here would care, but I have dealt with an addiction personally (which I beat, but I battle every day); I have had two family members pass from cancer, I have a family member who is bipolar, another a diabetic and my grandmother had Alzheimer’s. Finally, my uncle had passed after battling ALS.

Well, news flash people, ALL OF THESE THINGS SUCK. I’m sure some of you have it worst than me so I’m not saying my problems are worst. My point is if Alex has an issue, and this is not confirmed, regardless of the road he took to get there, the most important thing is he gets the help and support for the road going forward.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't believe there's actually evidence of this. It seems like the only information is via rumour and innuendo.

If this is true, then it raises several troubling issues. Firstly, WTF would Tremblay have access to personal, private medical information? It can only have come from someone inside the treatment centre, or from someone on the Habs. In either case it raises serious breach of privacy issues, which could have legal implications.

To those who are being critical of Galchenyuk, let me assure you that addiction is indeed a disease and the onset of it can be triggered by many other health problems including depression, ADHD, heredity and anxiety. If it is true, I hope he gets successful treatment.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The one thing that I can't understand is why does it seem to be such a recurring issue in Mtl, I mean if you are a young millionaire athlete in any other NHL city even if hockey isn't as big of a deal you can be exposed to all the same stuff (Girls, booze, drug, night life) that you would be in Mtl, yes Montreal is a good city to party but Miami,TB, LA, ANA, SJ, NY, Col, Toronto, Vegas and many more are to shabby either... Why can't the team better protect their player to prevent or help solve these issue earlier and discretely.

Not sure why Tremblay as a ex-player would go out and leak info that should have remained confidential about a active player, especially since he doesn't have anything to gain from it it not like is job depend on him breaking stories. Not sure why MB want to leak this info, unless it is try to justify a trade to the fans, because it doesn't help is value even if in the NHL everyone and their dog probably know about is issues. I seem to remember that the a lot of the media in Mtl had come out with story on PK not being a good team player in the weeks leading to is trade. combine with the fact that the team is going no where and that there were 15 teams scouting at yesterday games and his name has come up in a lot of rumors few week back... I wouldn't be surprised if Galchenyuk was trade...

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have absolutely no idea what vile post you are talking about and am very curious ! Don't even know which player you are refering to.

As for Galchenyuk. What is that assessment I have made of him ? That he has off-ice issue ? That's hardly a shocker to anyone with a brain. What else ?

I'm sorry for the mistaken identity. The user name as well as some other similarities had me going at the wrong guy.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I don't believe for a second that you don't recall it. Regrettably, I don't feel comfortable reposting it, and even if I were to, a mod would delete it instantly.

As for the content, think of a former player you clearly despised.

Wow. How convenient ! Not even going to say who is that player I supposedly despise ? I'll have you know I have not been warned by ANY moderator about my conduct. And least of all for "foul attacks" on hockey players. That just doesn't sound like something I would do.

You also haven't answered about Galchenyuk. What are those awful things I have said about him as if I knew him intimately ? I have close to 12000 posts on HF. Wanna take a wild guess at how many I have EVER edited ? Zero. I don't edit posts. That's because in the 15 years I have been here, I stand by every word I say here, every skill assessment I make. I'm comfortable with the few times I'm wrong and the mistakes I may have made.

So go ahead. Point me to a player. Point me to a thread. Point me to that time I was so nasty. Because from where I stand, the gratuitous character attack seems to be coming from you.

Reactions: Andrei79

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
There was a poster with the handle "Vlad the limp whaler" who said some things about subban that some took issue to. I don't think it was anything more vile than what is said almost daily about folks in management but I digress, it was a different time back then.

Oh crap ! Thanks for clearing that up. What happened to my knock off, BTW ? Is he banned or still posting ?

I thought it was funny when I saw him but it raises the question that people might mistake me for that dude. Which is really the last thing I'd want.

SO MESSSAGE OF INTEREST:

PEOPLE, I'M NOT THAT ASSHAT WITH A SIMILAR USERNAME. I'M THE OTHER, OLDER, ORIGINAL ASSHAT :D

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Don't they play the same position? One thing they may do together though is get a lot of points on the powerplay.

Technically, they both play every forward position. IMO Chucky should be C and Drouin RW (or LW depending on the other linemate).

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Oh crap ! Thanks for clearing that up. What happened to my knock off, BTW ? Is he banned or still posting ?

I thought it was funny when I saw him but it raises the question that people might mistake me for that dude. Which is really the last thing I'd want.

SO MESSSAGE OF INTEREST:

PEOPLE, I'M NOT THAT ASSHAT WITH A SIMILAR USERNAME. I'M THE OTHER, OLDER, ORIGINAL ASSHAT :D

Mea culpa man. I apologize.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Can someone give me the coles notes on this discussion.
well, what started as a Galchenyuk misused/mishandled discussion turned to alcoholism and rehab thanks to an article by Tremblay saying Galchenyuk has been treated twice for substance/alcohol abuse. That became a discussion about the causes of addiction and whether it is a disease or not and when someone said they have no sympathy for Galchenyuk or any rich young athlete if it's true. And whether or not Tremblay is a prick, a hypocrite and a douchebag for revealing something that meant to be private (since stage 1 rehab program in the NHL is supposed to be confidential/anonymous, private and voluntary)

The part concerning Galchenyuk and his alleged substance problem is what I gathered from quick glances of the last 3-4 pages or so. So I could be off on some of the details but that's the gist of it.

TLDR, Galcenyuk should be a center because fans say stats say so. No He should be a winger because management knows best. He allegedly has a drinking problem. It's no ones business, it's everyone's business. It's a disease, no it's not.

Enjoy.

Reactions: sparxx87

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
I have to deal with a lot of privileged information myself (including from people suffering from addiction) and take it very seriously. But Mario Tremblay is NOT a professional in charge of Galchenyuk's therapy. He is a member of the media. As I said earlier, it's not like he broke into some office and stole confidential info. Even casual outsiders have known for years that Galchenyuk parties hard. So Tremblay didn't, in all likelihood, betray anyone's secret. This wasn't his privileged information. Journalists around the world release confidential information all the time. It's nothing new.

The only issue is whether this news was *of public interest or not*. That's what usually differentiates serious journalism from TMZ. I understand why some people might not think it is. But I am in the camp who thinks that, if an issue sufficiently affects his on-ice performance for such a long time, it's legitimate to cover it.

Should it have been a brief remark on the radio ? Obviously, no. This deserved a serious piece of journalism IMO. A proper in-depth article by a serious journalist. And maybe we will get that eventually.

I don’t see how you can still post what you are posing. Mario Tremblay had no right to announce this even if it is true. The fact that you are going to bat for a racist and a drunk is hilarious, but you put all the blame on Galchenyuk for doing something that Mario himself should have done a long time ago

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I read a french language article about Tremblay's comments (my french reading is fairly good, but I may have missed nuances???). I don't think it's inherently wrong to report on a player receiving treatment for substance abuse - imo it's newsworthy and I don't think reporting should be confined to official statements from an organization. Having said that, it seemed like he was sharing idle gossip rather than reporting specifics...and I disagree with that.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
well, what started as a Galchenyuk misused/mishandled discussion turned to alcoholism and rehab thanks to an article by Tremblay saying Galchenyuk has been treated twice for substance/alcohol abuse. That became a discussion about the causes of addiction and whether it is a disease or not and when someone said they have no sympathy for Galchenyuk or any rich young athlete if it's true. And whether or not Tremblay is a prick, a hypocrite and a *****ebag for revealing something that meant to be private (since stage 1 rehab program in the NHL is supposed to be confidential/anonymous, private and voluntary)

The part concerning Galchenyuk and his alleged substance problem is what I gathered from quick glances of the last 3-4 pages or so. So I could be off on some of the details but that's the gist of it.

TLDR, Galcenyuk should be a center because fans say stats say so. No He should be a winger because management knows best. He allegedly has a drinking problem. It's no ones business, it's everyone's business. It's a disease, no it's not.

Enjoy.
Excellent summary :laugh:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Some people are so consumed by their arrogance they fail to recognize just how ignorant they really are. Normally, I don't let the many silly comments on this board annoy me, but sometimes it gets too much.

When I was a little boy, around just 10 years old. I literally discovered my dear uncle in a ditch, dead from what I later understood as alcohol poisoning. To get my point across: that man was the only man I ever knew from my dad's side. I grew up without my father. And my uncle was my father figure.

I can't begin to tell you what that does to a little boy. And for goodness sake, one of my closets friends is destroying his life through alcoholism. I have tried to help that man so many times, he and I have even cried together over the whole thing.

The notion that I don't care about people suffering with alcoholism (even as I express my hope that I hope Gally is getting help) is so infuriating on so many levels. I have scientific and philosophical reasons for believing that alcoholism isn't an illness. This place isn't the right place for that debate. But to suggest that's a thought-crime worthy of infractions is just so stupid.

There are plenty of neuroscientists and many others who disagree with the idea that alcoholism is a disease. That doesn't mean that those of us with that opinion share little sympathy or care for people suffering. It doesn't mean that they do not require love or help, it just means we disagree with the nature of alcoholism.

So the notion that a simple comment about my disappointment in Galchenyuk (if the story is true) would lead to ridiculous comparisons to my feelings on loved ones who suffer from cancer maddens me. Especially when the first thing I think of when I think of alcoholism is the image of my uncle in a ditch.

But hey, let's offend people all the more with stupid comparisons and call them to be banned for their thought crimes, right? Those of you resorting to that type of nonsense have lost all relevancy to me.

But all that matters right now, anyway, is that hopefully, the story isn't true. But if it is: I hope the kid is getting some help.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I don’t see how you can still post what you are posing. Mario Tremblay had no right to announce this even if it is true. The fact that you are going to bat for a racist and a drunk is hilarious, but you put all the blame on Galchenyuk for doing something that Mario himself should have done a long time ago

Right off the bat, I have to point out the irony of calling Mario Tremblay a drunk because, "y'know, alchoolism is sirious stuf and we need to emphathize with Galchenyuk, y'all". I think it's like, the fourth or fifth times on this thread I see stuff like that. Irony central flying right above your heads.

Also, didn't know Tremblay was a racist. Is it because he is a francophone ? That seems to be the usual reason given around here.

Now that we have those things out of the way. I did not "go to bat" for Mario Tremblay. I just said (rightly so) that he couldn't lower Galchenyuk's value because the information that Galchenyuk has messed up off the ice is common knowledge around the league. And yes, Mario Tremblay absolutely has the right to announce this if his information is valid and true. In fact, he just did and will suffer no legal consequences whatsoever if, again, the info is true. I also did not put blame on Galchenyuk for seeking treatment as you suggest, nor would I ever do something like that. You have serious issues reading simple posts. When you quote my posts, it would be nice if you answered the actual content, and not stuff you imagined or projected.

I look forward to you quoting this post and imagining all sorts of things contained in it !

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Some people are so consumed by their arrogance they fail to recognize just how ignorant they really are. Normally, I don't let the many silly comments on this board annoy me, but sometimes it gets too much.

When I was a little boy, around just 10 years old. I literally discovered my dear uncle in a ditch, dead from what I later understood as alcohol poisoning. To get my point across: that man was the only man I ever knew from my dad's side. I grew up without my father. And my uncle was my father figure.

I can't begin to tell you what that does to a little boy. And for goodness sake, one of my closets friends is destroying his life through alcoholism. I have tried to help that man so many times, he and I have even cried together over the whole thing.

The notion that I don't care about people suffering with alcoholism (even as I express my hope that I hope Gally is getting help) is so infuriating on so many levels. I have scientific and philosophical reasons for believing that alcoholism isn't an illness. This place isn't the right place for that debate. But to suggest that's a thought-crime worthy of infractions is just so stupid.

There are plenty of neuroscientists and many others who disagree with the idea that alcoholism is a disease. That doesn't mean that those of us with that opinion share little sympathy or care for people suffering. It doesn't mean that they do not require love or help, it just means we disagree with the nature of alcoholism.

So the notion that a simple comment about my disappointment in Galchenyuk (if the story is true) would lead to ridiculous comparisons to my feelings on loved ones who suffer from cancer maddens me. Especially when the first thing I think of when I think of alcoholism is the image of my uncle in a ditch.

But hey, let's offend people all the more with stupid comparisons and call them to be banned for their thought crimes, right? Those of you resorting to that type of nonsense have lost all relevancy to me.

But all that matters right now, anyway, is that hopefully, the story isn't true. But if it is: I hope the kid is getting some help.

I feel for what you went through, I really do and your story touched me deeply. It definitely puts your investment on the subject in perspective as well.

But, you've been the main cause of the escalation from the very start and the very first person who explicitally voiced being offended. All this stemming from a belief on your part from the fringe disagreeing on what's generally accepted and proven, at least for the moment. The evidence doesn't disappear because scientific dissension exists - thank god it does. But you're not part of it, you're a mouth piece at best, and you were terrible at it here. I mean the man you were citing (whom you mispelled) is a psychologist with literally no published research on the subject.

Listen, these debates are done on almost all psychiatric ilnesses aside from BD and schizophrenia... And even then theres a fringe against the biological implications... So what we're you hoping to gain from this ? You opened that of worm, you escalated it, you didn't make your feelings on the subject clear - what were you expecting on a sensitive subject that touches so many people like this one ? You yourself have been just as emotional about it - and with reason... What you went through, jesus....

Last edited:

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Right off the bat, I have to point out the irony of calling Mario Tremblay a drunk because, "y'know, alchoolism is sirious stuf and we need to emphathize with Galchenyuk, y'all". I think it's like, the fourth or fifth times on this thread I see stuff like that. Irony central flying right above your heads.

Also, didn't know Tremblay was a racist. Is it because he is a francophone ? That seems to be the usual reason given around here.

Now that we have those things out of the way. I did not "go to bat" for Mario Tremblay. I just said (rightly so) that he couldn't lower Galchenyuk's value because the information that Galchenyuk has messed up off the ice is common knowledge around the league. And yes, Mario Tremblay absolutely has the right to announce this if his information is valid and true. In fact, he just did and will suffer no legal consequences whatsoever if, again, the info is true. I also did not put blame on Galchenyuk for seeking treatment as you suggest, nor would I ever do something like that. You have serious issues reading simple posts. When you quote my posts, it would be nice if you answered the actual content, and not stuff you imagined or projected.

I look forward to you quoting this post and imagining all sorts of things contained in it !

Haha your attempt at being a smart tough guy isn’t very flattering. I’m guessing you forget the time he spouted racist comments towards PK subban while being arrested for a dui none the less. Here is a link to jog your memory. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/ex-habs-coach-tremblay-slags-subban-during-dui-arrest/article23551881/?service=amp

And again Tremblay has zero right to even bring this up as mentioned by many other posters and journalists alike, because it’s supposed to be and meant to be confidential between the league and the player, when a player enters the stage one program.

Mario has zero journalistic integrity, and hopefully he gets fired from all his of cushy positions, but I doubt that will happen

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I'm not getting into great details, but it's common knowledge that chucky is / was a big partier. I have a friend who manages a well-known old montreal bar that the habs frequent. That being said, so what? you think he's the only kid millionaire athlete who parties? like seguin, it would be idiotic to trade him. Like young Price, surround him with support and help him grow up.

The issue i have is with that f***ing, gas-lighting hypocrite who tarnishes the CH. Mario Tremblay has always been incapable of shutting his yap. But this assumes he's actually trying to even think before talking which there is no evidence of. First he runs 33 out of town, then spouts nonsense for years about 76 - during a DUI arrest no less and now this. f*** him. he should be fired

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I read a french language article about Tremblay's comments (my french reading is fairly good, but I may have missed nuances???). I don't think it's inherently wrong to report on a player receiving treatment for substance abuse - imo it's newsworthy and I don't think reporting should be confined to official statements from an organization. Having said that, it seemed like he was sharing idle gossip rather than reporting specifics...and I disagree with that.

Yeah, it's something that deserves a more serious journalistic treatment, IMO. A bigger article with context, and where you'll give the player and the organization a chance to comment.

I think pretty much the only thing everybody will agree with here is that Mario Tremblay is not exactly a rocket scientist. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he barely noticed himself what he had just done. It's radio. Unlike TV it's a lot less scripted.

Not really a fan of live media in general. People are either babbling inanities or they're talking about the real stuff, but not the right way. I prefer that some real prep and real work goes into news.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
You know the sad part in all this, I met Alex a few years ago, he wasn’t as big of a deal as he is today but I saw a very shy, introverted and almost nerdy guy. But he was still super talented on the ice, you could see something special in him. All this makes this story even sadder for me, assuming there’s any truth to it. Here was this fairly tall and talented hockey player surrounded by a bunch of much flashier and “crazier” hockey players (Subban showed up in a lambo, as much as I loved Pk he had a very douchy vibe to him). He couldn’t even look me in the eye when talking to me, I found him really down to earth and chill to talk to. For people to paint him like this crazed party animal who’s the reason this team is doing so bad, it’s hard to believe how things have things changed. I hope much of it is BS, it’s very sad. I like the guy man, he was real nice to hang out with, I genuinely hope he pulls through.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Haha your attempt at being a smart tough guy isn’t very flattering. I’m guessing you forget the time he spouted racist comments towards PK subban while being arrested for a dui none the less. Here is a link to jog your memory. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/ex-habs-coach-tremblay-slags-subban-during-dui-arrest/article23551881/?service=amp

I just read that article and nowhere am I finding any racist comments. So I went and read other articles and also did not find any racist comments. Could you point me to the racist comments?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
And again Tremblay has zero right to even bring this up as mentioned by many other posters and journalists alike, because it’s supposed to be and meant to be confidential between the league and the player, when a player enters the stage one program.

Yiu're blaming the wrong person.

If it's supposed, as you just said, to be "confidential between the league and the player", why does Mario Tremblay know about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad