Gagarin Cup Play-Off 2017

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

No argument here, great goal. I especially love how Biryukov seemed to have tipped the puck away, yet Videll still puts it in the net.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Yes, the only Finnish coach to have won a Finnish league title, a World Junior Championships and a World Championship is inept. :laugh: :facepalm: Raipe though... Success doesn't exactly follow him everywhere.

Finnish league and World Championships don't mean much, especially when they were won a decade ago and half a decade ago. WJC gold was won by a team with Laine, Aho, Puljujärvi etc. And they were a very undisciplined team, which gave up a lot of goals. Luckily they had enough starpower to outscore others.

Jokerit has been poorly coached this year, it's a fact. They lost a lot of games against inferior opponents (with better coaching though), lot of losses on OT and SO. Also Jokerit have been a very undisciplined team, too many penalties in the offensive zone. The quality of Finnish coaching is a huge myth in Finland and I hope for a foreign coach for Jokerit, if Karri Kivi is unavailable.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finnish league and World Championships don't mean much, especially when they were won a decade ago and half a decade ago. WJC gold was won by a team with Laine, Aho, Puljujärvi etc. And they were a very undisciplined team, which gave up a lot of goals. Luckily they had enough starpower to outscore others.

Jokerit has been poorly coached this year, it's a fact. They lost a lot of games against inferior opponents (with better coaching though), lot of losses on OT and SO. Also Jokerit have been a very undisciplined team, too many penalties in the offensive zone. The quality of Finnish coaching is a huge myth in Finland and I hope for a foreign coach for Jokerit, if Karri Kivi is unavailable.

If it's such myth, whatever makes you think Kivi is so great? He's already failed in KHL.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
If it's such myth, whatever makes you think Kivi is so great? He's already failed in KHL.

He did a great job with the Finnish U20 in 2014 WJC. That team was coached to gold. The final game was pure art of defensive and opportunistic hockey, which would suit well for Jokerit. He also guided a very mediocre Ässät team to Liiga Championship and now he's doing pretty well with a terrible Ilves team. He was fired from Traktor, true, but Russia is a difficult environment for a Finnish coach.

E: I guess this is off topic, so maybe this could be transferred to Jokerit thread.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He did a great job with the Finnish U20 in 2014 WJC. That team was coached to gold. The final game was pure art of defensive and opportunistic hockey, which would suit well for Jokerit. He also guided a very mediocre Ässät team to Liiga Championship and now he's doing pretty well with a terrible Ilves team. He was fired from Traktor, true, but Russia is a difficult environment for a Finnish coach.

E: I guess this is off topic, so maybe this could be transferred to Jokerit thread.

If you're trying to imply that Jalonen didn't have any effect on the 2016 winning team, you don't know much about coaching.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm legitimately surprised how tough these series are for Avangard. At one point this season they were looking like the world beaters, but last 10 games or so they are underperforming horribly.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I'm legitimately surprised how tough these series are for Avangard. At one point this season they were looking like the world beaters, but last 10 games or so they are underperforming horribly.

Wish I also could be... Don't know what but something feels wrong with this team - maybe it's just me going hysterical and looking for some mystical explanation due to "So, you call this thing puck?" level of tactical knowledge but I never expected this team to hold the Gagarin Cup - to be honest, even in that painful 7th game against Dynamo in 2012. My prediction was that we would lose two games to Admiral but even I didn't expect it to be that difficult or Admiral to catch us at two. With a little bit of luck, they could be leading the series 3-1 now.

I'm glad to see Admiral doing well, I've always wanted them to be successful, but hey, do it against some other team.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Nobody is happier for the fans of Admiral than myself. They come out to every game, they love their team, but just have not been able to see them win in the playoffs. Excellent to see them win a couple on home ice for the faithful supporters.

DBC

Apr 20, 2015
Especially since the played a big chunk of the 3rd period short handed. What an incredibly well coached team.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
How is Datsyuk's hit anything more than 2 min interference?

Unbelievable non call 5 seconds before on Karsums for hit from behind/interference/boarding, should have been kicked easily. How about Dergachev 5 and game for a being over being 6'5 and throwing a hit on dedushka Gorovikov.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Dynamo deserved the loss today. They had chances, couldnt capitalize. 5 min PP in the 3rd and they didnt even sniff a chance anywhere near the net. Their forwards were god awful, they seriously miss Fedorov.

Their PP they try to make cute plays down low with average guys like Tarasov, resulting in constant turnovers... When the play should be give to your defense and let them fire bombs at the net. You have Kuteiken, Rylov and Nikulin, what more could you possibly want back there, but they did not use the play once on a 5 minute PP late in the 3rd, down a goal. Instead you got Karsums tripping over himself and Tarasov turning pucks over, frustrating to watch. so close..

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
If they call a penalty, and a player is injured, refs are obliged to call a major penalty and a game misconduct. Quite a number of cheap hits in that game :shakehead Dergachyov should've kept his arms down when hitting a game officiate like that. Also, it was Podshendyalov, not "dedushka Gorovikov".

But the refs are obviously in SKA's pocket :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad