Player Discussion: Gabriel "The Net Front King" Vilardi

Nov 24, 2006
I never thought I'd ever say this, but when Vilardi is ready, I'd consider pulling Ehlers out of the lineup. Get a 2nd medical opinion. He looks like he's playing injured.

If he really isn't, then I'm okay with 4th line Ehlers.
I think a good chunk of this is, of course, directly on Ehlers. He's always been prone to giveaways and errant passes. His confidence might be a bit down as well.

I wonder how much of his issues are related to having Namestnikov as a centre. Name is not exactly dynamic as a centreman.

When Vilardi comes back, I would mind seeing:

Ehlers - Perfetti - Vilardi

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think a good chunk of this is, of course, directly on Ehlers. He's always been prone to giveaways and errant passes. His confidence might be a bit down as well.

I wonder how much of his issues are related to having Namestnikov as a centre. Name is not exactly dynamic as a centreman.

When Vilardi comes back, I would mind seeing:

Ehlers - Perfetti - Vilardi
I was just thinking about this...

Connor - Scheifele - Iafallo (as much as I want KC and Scheif separated, that aint happening especially how they have played the last few)

Perfetti - Namestinikov - Vilardi OR Ehlers - Perfetti - Vilardi Coaches seem hesitant to play Perfetti at C

Nino - Lowry - Appleton is a lock

Barron - Gus - Kupari is a decent 4th line. IF Namestnikov is moved down I suppose Gus is the odd man out?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think Gus has been playing good enough for a 4th liner to stay in the line-up. Neither Kupari or Barron have done much. It'd be b/w those 2 for me on who sits.

connor-scheifele-iafallo
ehlers-perfetti/vilardi
niederreiter-lowry-appleton
gus-namestnikov-kupari (all 3 can play C)

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
i think Gus has been playing good enough for a 4th liner to stay in the line-up. Neither Kupari or Barron have done much. It'd be b/w those 2 for me on who sits.

connor-scheifele-iafallo
ehlers-perfetti/vilardi
niederreiter-lowry-appleton
gus-namestnikov-kupari (all 3 can play C)
Barron and Kupari will just have to saddle up and ride it out to see what shakes.
I agree Gus is showing flashes of great hockey..

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Once Gabe gets healthy and all clear...what are the realistic expectations of him? I don't think I'm alone in thinking this Jets squad is a lot better than most people assumed going into the season. Mark is committing to a 200 foot game and the team has this wolf pack mentality. Love seeing it.

How this relates to Vilardi? Well, call me a silly old goblin but I think his coming back is effectively like getting a trade completed for a top 6 FWD. He should be on the 2nd line. I think he's going to do well. I just worry slightly about the time needed to build line chemistry but that's not on Gabe. That's any injured player coming back in to a team on a hot start.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Once Gabe gets healthy and all clear...what are the realistic expectations of him? I don't think I'm alone in thinking this Jets squad is a lot better than most people assumed going into the season. Mark is committing to a 200 foot game and the team has this wolf pack mentality. Love seeing it.

How this relates to Vilardi? Well, call me a silly old goblin but I think his coming back is effectively like getting a trade completed for a top 6 FWD. He should be on the 2nd line. I think he's going to do well. I just worry slightly about the time needed to build line chemistry but that's not on Gabe. That's any injured player coming back in to a team on a hot start.

I loved how he looked in his brief time with Schiefele and Connor. I thought they had instant chemistry. Either way I trust Arniel in how he deploys his lines and he’ll get it sorted out when the time comes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If it was up to me ........
I would be easing him back in a little, maybe a couple of games on the 4th line. I say 4th because I don't want to disrupt any of the other lines right now.

After that, I would try him on the 2nd, despite the way he had previously looked with Scheif and Connor, because 2C is still not settled. Scheif and KFC are doing just fine with Iafallo, at least for the time being. So the question then is just whether to try Gabe at 2C or to give Perfetti another shot there? I'd be inclined to put Vilardi at C. Let Perfetti continue to excel at LW. But it could go either way.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If it was up to me ........
I would be easing him back in a little, maybe a couple of games on the 4th line. I say 4th because I don't want to disrupt any of the other lines right now.

After that, I would try him on the 2nd, despite the way he had previously looked with Scheif and Connor, because 2C is still not settled. Scheif and KFC are doing just fine with Iafallo, at least for the time being. So the question then is just whether to try Gabe at 2C or to give Perfetti another shot there? I'd be inclined to put Vilardi at C. Let Perfetti continue to excel at LW. But it could go either way.
I think Perfetti and Vilardi would play really well off eachother

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think Perfetti and Vilardi would play really well off eachother
This is my thought as well. Both aren't exactly fast but they're very cerebral players. Having 2 centers of opposite hands can help a lot on faceoffs and Ehlers can help make up the lack of speed. It was a line I wanted to start the year and it makes even more sense now. Connor, Scheifele, and Iafallo are all on pace to have career years, keep them together. 3rd line is absolutely dominating, keep them together. 2nd line has been good but I think there's room for improvement. Namestnikov has been fantastic lately but I wouldn't keep him on the line in favor of Ehlers, Perfetti, or Vilardi. I'd rather him be a force on a 4th line that plays regular minutes.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This is how I think Bones arranges things within a few games of Volare coming back...

KC Scheif Volare
Perfetti Names Ehlers
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Gus Iafallo

This is what I'd try in no real order...

Perfetti Scheif Nino
KFC Volare Iafallo
Gus Names Ehlers
Barron Lowry Apples

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is how I think Bones arranges things within a few games of Volare coming back...

KC Scheif Volare
Perfetti Names Ehlers
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Gus Iafallo

Perfetti Scheif Nino
KFC Volare Iafallo
Gus Names Ehlers
Barron Lowry Apples
We are riding a 5 game winning streak, so might as well throw everything in the blender and start from scratch on putting together the lines?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If I were a coach, no line would play the whole season together. Probably why I'm not a coach.
I would've blended the lines tonight though.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What’s a matter for you
A substance made up of various types of particles that occupies physical space and has inertia.

According to the principles of modern physics, the various types of particles each have a specific mass and size. The most familiar examples of material particles are the electron, the proton and the neutron.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
What’s a matter for you

The question *might also* include the element of "whats a dark matter for you".

As @FlappyGiraffe has provided an excellent run down of the dogmatic theory, we can perhaps move on to Dark Matter. Dark matter is a hypothetical form that appears not to interact with light. Dark matter is implied by weird gravitational effects (lets say - among two different hockey players) which cannot be explained by general relativity unless more matter is present than can be seen.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The question *might also* include the element of "whats a dark matter for you".

As @FlappyGiraffe has provided an excellent run down of the dogmatic theory, we can perhaps move on to Dark Matter. Dark matter is a hypothetical form that appears not to interact with light. Dark matter is implied by weird gravitational effects (lets say - among two different hockey players) which cannot be explained by general relativity unless more matter is present than can be seen.

Brad Marchand licking another hockey player is Dark Matter....

Reactions: kanadalainen

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have really liked Iafallo with Scheifele and Connor but i still think Vilardi brings basically the same as Iafallo but with more scoring so that's where i would play Vilardi. Iafallo to the second line with Perfetti at center and Ehlers on the other wing . How ever Bones does it having Vilardi back in this lineup makes us even better.:nod:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013

KC Scheif Volare
Perfetti Names Ehlers
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Gus Iafallo

Perfetti Scheif Nino
KFC Volare Iafallo
Gus Names Ehlers
Barron Lowry Apples
Volare is a song not a hockey player.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I thought it was a car...

With rich Corinthian leather seats...