Player Discussion: Gabriel "The Net Front King" Vilardi

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I see that Toninato was sent back down to the Moose. Does that mean Vilardi is close to being ready?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I’d imagine Valardi would need to skate with the team for awhile in a non contact jersey before any decisions are made about reinserting him.
Agreed but does that leave the Jets with no extra forwards right now?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Didn't Wheeler suffer the same injury in 21-22? Not sure what grade, but it was an MCL injury iirc. Took him 6 weeks (43 days) to come back.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
When Vilardi is back on the roster, I assume he goes to the first line. Nino is doing very well with Lowry so I imagine Iafallo goes to the second line. Perfetti back at centre with Ehlers and Iafallo as wingers? Namestinkoff back to the fourth? Gus to PB or Kupari?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
When Vilardi is back on the roster, I assume he goes to the first line. Nino is doing very well with Lowry so I imagine Iafallo goes to the second line. Perfetti back at centre with Ehlers and Iafallo as wingers? Namestinkoff back to the fourth? Gus to PB or Kupari?
I think exactly this, gus will most likely be the pb guy

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
They are very unlikely to do that. The idea of load management is almost nonexistent in the NHL. Valardi is young and should be good to go once he is cleared, and this is not a chronic injury that would get progressively worse with time.
Very true and when he comes back it will make all 4 lines even stronger which evens out the ice times. He probably won't have to be playing 20 minutes a game.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Very true and when he comes back it will make all 4 lines even stronger which evens out the ice times. He probably won't have to be playing 20 minutes a game.
The diverse injury history though. Load management may offset this.

Last injury did seem like a freak accident though. Could have happened to anyone.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it can be common to recall a player for PB duty on road trips and send them back when you're at home, especially when your minor league team is in the same city.
I was looking at capfriendly and this strategy could add nicely to the TDL cap space over the season. Maybe Chevy is looking to put himself in the best possible position to make a big strike at the deadline?

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Lines are going to be interesting. Nobody in the top 9 deserves to be dropped to 4th other than Ehlers.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Lines are going to be interesting. Nobody in the top 9 deserves to be dropped to 4th other than Ehlers.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but when Vilardi is ready, I'd consider pulling Ehlers out of the lineup. Get a 2nd medical opinion. He looks like he's playing injured.

If he really isn't, then I'm okay with 4th line Ehlers.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I never thought I'd ever say this, but when Vilardi is ready, I'd consider pulling Ehlers out of the lineup. Get a 2nd medical opinion. He looks like he's playing injured.

If he really isn't, then I'm okay with 4th line Ehlers.
What do you believe Ehlers potential injury to be? His sub par play seems to stem mostly from a lack of game awareness and bad decisions.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
What do you believe Ehlers potential injury to be? His sub par play seems to stem mostly from a lack of game awareness and bad decisions.

Mostly from my eye test, which granted doesn't mean much.

He was injured prior to the start of preseason, and his current on ice play doesn't seem to match how he played last season.

That leads me to wonder whether he is still injured but just playing through it.

Perhaps I'm actually wrong and its just his timing, which is off.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Lots of good possibilities. May take some time to check them all out tho’. Everything you list seems quite likely and logical. With Gus vs Kupari, my guess is that right now Gus has the upper hand, but Kupari is on a really upwards trajectory and will be hard to ignore once his puck handling and accuracy get even closer to his skating.

Reactions: Guffman

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Ehlers has always had his warts, but it has been a long time since he's played this inconsistently and this far off game pace.

I don't think high-end players suddenly lose game awareness -- more likely to me that he's trying to play a game adapted to recovery, new systems or some combination of both, and not managing it.

But getting Villardi back likely moves down Iafallo and then Names. I like Iafallo as a digger on a (normalized) Ehlers/ Perfetti line. But there are plenty of other combos available, which is a nice change of pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad