Confirmed with Link: Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to CBJ for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore and 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Personality-wise I don't think any of these guys will be a problem at all (if you were concerned about that). Moore is a "nice guy" type. Strikes me as a bit quiet but rather level-headed.

I think Brass is a bit of a rink-rat (but might not be quite the brightest blub). Back when Hitch was coaching, Brass was one of the players who didn't really get what Hitch was trying to tell them. I think Hitch overwhelmed him with info and he really didn't know what to do. Brass also ended up in Arniel's dog house last season, for what that is worth. This could be interesting with Torts and Brass. I think Brass will want to do what Torts wants him to do, but that communication will need to be clear. Brass can be an emotional guy too (get down on himself type). We'll have to see how that plays out.

I already talked about Dorse in earlier posts.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Mark Masters @markhmasters
Gaborik on conference call while driving to airport: 'It's nice to be on a team that really wants me'

Emo Gabby meme? :sarcasm:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
If this was the best offer on the table for Gaborik, they should have waited until the draft to move him. To move him for a couple of 3rd liners, a prospect and a late round draft pick just doesn't do it. NEEDED to get an early pick (1st or at least a 2nd) back; especially since many meh players have been traded recently for early draft choices.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 1m

Gaborik on Torts relationship: 'It wasn't bad ... sometimes we didn't see eye to eye, but that's hockey'

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Gaborik + Depth = Good team last year
Gaborik + Nash - Depth = Bad team this year
Nash + Depth = Good team?

We'll find out. I think we're better off going forward with these two deals than with just the first one.

Nice equations :)

And yes, all in all, and I'm rather feeling it for the Gabs fans more than for anything else, we are better off.

In all honesty it was just that frustrating so see Gaborik play, it was Torts, it was him. **** it. He wasnt going to bring it for us this year, what makes you think he'd ever care.

The one question remaining is ... what the **** is Tortorella going to make out of this return?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
No, not at all.

I meant more froma production, two-way standpoint.

Two way, gotcha.

He didn't seem like much of a factor in the AHL, not sure this guy is gonna be much better than what is there already.

Yet, I was totally against the Hamerlik signing, got hammered on here for saying he's useless. Well, here we are.

Edge, please get into the prospects thread and give me your impressions of Lindberg. Though I know you don't do impressions, you're a trained physician :propeller

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
quick, who is who...

34 7 11 18 -2

35 9 10 19 -8

Gabby is elite some of the time and average to below average some of the time.

We added our new Brandon Prust, better skill, inferior fighter.

Moore, depth to what everyone assumed was an organzational depth...but wasn't.

I love Gabby...but we opened up cap space and we will open up even more when we buyout Richards.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think the fans understand how bad Slats has screwed up this team in just one year. It might take us missing the playoffs with no picks in the draft for them to realize it.

I tend to think this team was never quite as good in reality as it was on here by people who fell in love with a bunch gutsy, hard working, DEPTH players.

I don't think the team a year ago was substantially better than this years model. I think the difference is that last years underachieved and this years underachieved. But from an overall talent standpoint, I really don't think there was a huge difference other than we loved the kids we actually got to see come up through the system.

Because we moved home grown guys, the first we've had in a long time, I don't think anything short of a season like Hawks or Pens was going to be worth it for some of the fans.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yup, clear shot at Torts.. He never got along with Gaborik even with Gaborik carrying his putrid offense for years

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We should have a stickied thread of draft picks the Rangers have traded and keep track of who gets selected and how their career progresses, kind like our current prospects thread. May be have that in there.

Would be an interesting experiment over the long term.

The problem with that is that there's no guarantee the rangers would have picked the same player

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Personality-wise I don't think any of these guys will be a problem at all (if you were concerned about that). Moore is a "nice guy" type. Strikes me as a bit quiet but rather level-headed.

I think Brass is a bit of a rink-rat (but might not be quite the brightest blub). Back when Hitch was coaching, Brass was one of the players who didn't really get what Hitch was trying to tell them. I think Hitch overwhelmed him with info and he really didn't know what to do. Brass also ended up in Arniel's dog house last season, for what that is worth. This could be interesting with Torts and Brass. I think Brass will want to do what Torts wants him to do, but that communication will need to be clear. Brass can be an emotional guy too (get down on himself type). We'll have to see how that plays out.

I already talked about Dorse in earlier posts.

Thanks for the intel, gurl :)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Believe Nash's opinion was also solicited on Dorsett. Had plenty of good things to say about his, grit, toughness and character

Dan Rosen @drosennhl
Gaborik said he spoke with Prospal before the trade and Rick Nash after the trade.

Dan Rosen @drosennhl
He said he spoke to Nash about living in Columbus and the city in general. Prospal had only good things to say about direction of the team.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
He scored over 40 last year in the same system.
This is uttered a lot. It's true, Gaborik had two of his best seasons under Tortorella. But he also had his two worse.

It's clearly not an offense friendly way of playing hockey. Gaborik having success in it is a testament to how good he is.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
This trade honestly took me by surprise....

Not so much that Gaborik was traded ( it has been long rumored that he would be), but the fact that he was traded to Columbus of all places!

Seems to me, the Rangers are trying to recoup what they lost by trading for Rick Nash (from Columbus... lol) in the first place (Dubinsky, Anisimov) and letting certain players leave the team (Rupp, Prust): overall team toughness and some secondary scoring.

Let's face it, acquiring Nash was a major goal for NY, but I believe in doing so, they messed a bit too much with their team chemistry and seem to be paying the price for it this year.
Couple that with guys like Marion Gaborik and Brad Richards TOTALLY disappearing from the scoresheet and you have the situation you have now.

Rangers get Brassard and Dorsett (secondary scoring and toughness respectively) to try to address their situation, while unloading Gaborik's contract, his injury history, and the fact he has turned into a virtual ghost on the team.

The Blue Jackets have plenty of guys who can do what Brassard and Dorsett did and are hoping to revive Marion Gaborik.
If Gaborik DOES come around, the Jackets have scored themselves a hella offensive player.
Blue Jackets don't score very much, play a tight, tough defensive game, and need a guy like Gaborik who is dynamic with the puck.

He won't be able to turn the team around on his own, obviously, but for a team like Columbus who WASN'T supposed to compete this year (yet they are somehow!) it is a good gamble for what they gave up.
Gaborik has another year left beyond this one on contract and the Jackets should have plenty of cap space to possibly add pieces to go with him during the off season.

Good deal for both sides, although as a Gaborik and secondary Rangers fan, I am somewhat saddened that Gaborik will not be part of the NYR run for a Stanley Cup either this year or next....
Of course, to make it THIS year, NY first has to get into the top 8...something proving very difficult for them so far.

GFiP*

Mark Masters @markhmasters
Gaborik on conference call while driving to airport: 'It's nice to be on a team that really wants me'

Emo Gabby meme? :sarcasm:

It's too bad they will only want him for a couple weeks.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If this was the best offer on the table for Gaborik, they should have waited until the draft to move him. To move him for a couple of 3rd liners, a prospect and a late round draft pick just doesn't do it. NEEDED to get an early pick (1st or at least a 2nd) back; especially since many meh players have been traded recently for early draft choices.

?

Who's the prospect? Moore? Moore's the 4th D on this team.

Brassard = 2nd line center on most teams that don't have Stepan and Richards in front of them. That being said, depth at center is something this team sorely needed. You like Boyle as your third line center? Not me.

Dorsett is 3rd/4th energy guy that the entire fanbase has been lamenting about since Prust left. Most people forget that Prust was getting 4th line minutes with time on the PK and occasionally getting moved up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think this was a bad trade considering the fact that Gaborik may very well be done as an elite winger in this league.

Fans are going to love Dorsett.

Brassard is at a major crossroad in his career, personally I don't think he'll ever be an elite scorer, but he is serviceable.

Moore is interesting to me. There's no reason, with this teams makeup on the blueline, that he can't develop into a solid two-way NHL defenseman.

Make no mistake, this team did not rebuild with this trade. They simply got what they could for a player who may be starting his career decline.

I think it's fair to say, this team is not a championship contender this season. They just don't stack up with the elite teams.

Agreed on every single thing you said here. Literally. Everything.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The problem with that is that there's no guarantee the rangers would have picked the same player

Could look back and see players selected say 5 picks after where the Rangers were to select to get a better idea. Would be a good gauge of how trading vets for picks work out in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad