GDT: G71: Capitals @ Wild | 3/19/23 | 2:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Humiliated.

Atleast with the last chances gone and Kuznetsov out we'll likely see more minutes for kids and a glimpse of what that would be like if/when they trade him in the summer.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Joe and Locker keep talking about GI. But the ref motioned hand pass when he first waved it off.

edit: On the longer replay that showed more action preceding the goal, 43 gloves down the puck after it pops in the air, but he got a stick on it before it hit anyone else or Strome's stick.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You start to notice patterns with certain GMs related to the types of players he drafts, trades for, or signs as a FA. It’s becoming very apparent to me that Maclellan puts very little stock in speed and superior skating. Even his comments on what we need in the off-season centered on “skill”. Guys like Strome and Sandin are nice pickups but a team with slow skill all over the place just can’t go far in today’s NHL.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So we lost, that's good for draft status. Ovi scored twice that's good for the gr8 chase but I did not like the way we got bullied. This teams soft as butter when willy is focused on being top line willy. The loss of Hathaway and Orlov really took the physical nature of this team away.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You start to notice patterns with certain GMs related to the types of players he drafts, trades for, or signs as a FA. It’s becoming very apparent to me that Maclellan puts very little stock in speed and superior skating. Even his comments on what we need in the off-season centered on “skill”. Guys like Strome and Sandin are nice pickups but a team with slow skill all over the place just can’t go far in today’s NHL.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. The guy's he's targeted have all been generally mobile puck moving type players. Me thinks you're equating straight line speed with moblility, but there are few true burners in the league and even less that are also good at moving the puck.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
That it’s pretty telling when a 37 year old player is leading the team in goals and points.
Exactly. What do people expect? For him to put up 50 goals and be a great two way player and drive possession at 37? His job is to score goals and it’s the GM and coaches job to build a roster that can cover up for his deficiencies at 37.

Reactions: BallardEra

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Exactly. What do people expect? For him to put up 50 goals and be a great two way player and drive possession at 37? His job is to score goals and it’s the GM and coaches job to build a roster that can cover up for his deficiencies at 37.
With 39 goals in 65 games he’s on pace for 49 goals. Pretty absurd for a 37 year old.

We also know he’s playing hurt which could explain some of the difficulties in other areas of his game.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Couldn't be farther from the truth. The guy's he's targeted have all been generally mobile puck moving type players. Me thinks you're equating straight line speed with moblility, but there are few true burners in the league and even less that are also good at moving the puck.
By your definition who isn’t mobile in this league? And do you feel like the Caps move the puck better than other teams in this league? I don’t believe so. In fact our possession game is arguably one of the weaker ones in the league.

Straightaway speed and quickness (2 different things) are very valuable for a forecheck and a possession game. I’m not even mentioning its obvious advantages on the rush. Watching Strome get left in the dust by Boldy it occurred to me that I’ve seen that repeatedly this season, whether a forward or defenseman, unless it’s Fever or Jensen back there. Trying to think if I can recall one time all season we had someone pull away. Maybe once?

Not saying we need burning speed everywhere but I would venture to say we have an unusual number of guys who are below average skaters. Some due to age, sure, but not all.

Maybe Maclellan is of the belief that guys can improve speed but skill can’t be taught.

Reactions: PlushMinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad