G Yaroslav Askarov (2020, 11th, NSH) - PART 2

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Hopefully. I haven't seen too many KHL or AHL games of him but what worries me is that he played the same way for Russia as well. Like always. It's his style that's faulty and I fail to see progress in that regard. His positioning is gonna need a shitload of work. He needs to take a page out of Vasi's book. Badly.
Good thing you're not a youth coach. You'd depress the kids so much they'd give up.

You seriously don't think he and his coaches at Nashville will be working with him and analyzing his performances ? He's just starting out so to speak. You talk as if he'll be playing the same way when he reaches thirty with no progression possible.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Of course he has these flaws that the internet scouts are pointing out. If he was a finished product he'd be in the NHL.

This also wasn't an audition, or a reward or anything like the Preds thing he's ready for the NHL. It was pretty much an emergency situation, and if Lankinen wasn't sick then Askarov would have never gotten the call.

Still a lot of work to be done, and still way too early to call either way.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Whos the last goalie that had such a hectic play style that was a great goalie in the NHL?

Most recent I can think of is Quick, could add Tim Thomas probably but he didnt have a long career, just a very high peak.

Since Askarov's draft year I've been pretty firm that if he doesnt calm down in his play style that he won't have a lot of success in the NHL. Sounds like he still hasnt improved this aspect at all.

Sure he can make big athletic saves, but is it really beneficial that he constantly has to make these types of saves?

I mean, we do have experience with a goalie like that in Vokoun and he was our MVP, he was also a right catching goalie.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You can see the potential is clearly there. Now he know what it takes to be successful in the NHL and the pace of a game. He’s going to be a stud in a few years

Reactions: The Wizard

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
View attachment 634606

Just pointing out the age... prior to last night only one guy under 22 had played. Spencer Knight. NO 20 year olds in the NHL. What Askarov did was amazing...

Also, on a crazy note, how many Russian goalies are there!lol Elite goalie factory.

View attachment 634607
Russia seems to be taking over from Finland in producing top goalies. Sadly, the USA seems to be falling behind the rest of the world.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia seems to be taking over from Finland in producing top goalies. Sadly, the USA seems to be falling behind the rest of the world.
Knight and Oetinger seem very good?

Helle is unreal.

US goalie factory seems to be in good shape to my eye. Stronger than Canada's currently!

Reactions: Guadana

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Knight and Oetinger seem very good?

Helle is unreal.

US goalie factory seems to be in good shape to my eye. Stronger than Canada's currently!
That's three guys. Was more referring to the NCAA, junior hockey pipeline; both of which feature relatively few US netminders.

Even the USHL is heavily stocked with goalies from Canada or overseas.

Reactions: Czechboy

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
That’s awesome to see, a little swag

Not sure it’s gonna fly in the NHL where everyone is so conservative but we’ll see

He has to back it up though

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Askarov beats Wallstedt 1-0. Both faced 23 shots. Wallstedt protested that the goal against him shouldn’t have counted, as he felt he had covered it up and the whistle was too slow.

Could be a preview of what is to come for years in the Central.

Reactions: The Wizard

serp

Jan 17, 2016
From what i remember from prospects camp Poirier is a big boy . Average size for a goalie but heavier than most his size . You fight him you better bring your A-game . From the AHL website Poirier is 25 pounds heavier than Askarov despite beeing 2 inches smaller . So not exactly suprised Askarov got his ass handed to him here.

Last edited:

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
The Preds and Canes should be in the same division so we could see Askarov vs Kochetkov several times a year in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad