G Sebastian Cossa - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2021, 15th, DET)

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Oh piss off with that nonsense. Oettinger's career numbers were 78-34-19 in 131 starts with a .916 and 2.42 before this season. Don't try to weasel your way into including him as evidence that rushing a goalie is bad. He was good over parts of 3 seasons before having a down year.

I don't want to characterize anything as rushing a goalie prospect. You are simply just ready when you are ready. Does Swayman look like he was rushed because he played the second fiddle in Boston at 22 or 23 years old?

Swayman has/had a much better team if front of him. It makes a difference. But I agree with you, a player is ready when they're ready. Give Cossa a few starts next year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He was good behind Dallas' defense. Which is a hell of a lot better than a 2nd pairing of Chiarot and Petry lol.

It's hilarious that people want to put a kid behind our garbage defense and destroy his confidence when he gets shelled.

I mean the stupid part about this is that people like you want to tell everyone how Cossa isn't ready and shouldn't be rushed as if you have even a mild grasp on how to determine the readiness of a goalie to take the next step. All I said is that he should be given every chance to make the roster in camp next year based on his performance, particularly in 2024. And if the team doesn't think they can give him 40% of starts, then let him start a majority of the games in Grand Rapids.

It's just plain f***ing stupid to say he SHOULDN'T be on the Wings roster because you're afraid that you MIGHT be rushing him and that it MIGHT turn out bad and that it MIGHT hurt his confidence.

Let his play dictate what he is ready for, not your worries and fears.

Reactions: Hawkster58

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I mean the stupid part about this is that people like you want to tell everyone how Cossa isn't ready and shouldn't be rushed as if you have even a mild grasp on how to determine the readiness of a goalie to take the next step. All I said is that he should be given every chance to make the roster in camp next year based on his performance, particularly in 2024. And if the team doesn't think they can give him 40% of starts, then let him start a majority of the games in Grand Rapids.

It's just plain f***ing stupid to say he SHOULDN'T be on the Wings roster because you're afraid that you MIGHT be rushing him and that it MIGHT turn out bad and that it MIGHT hurt his confidence.

Let his play dictate what he is ready for, not your worries and fears.

OK bud. Be mad about my opinion. :laugh:

You're right. Starting a 21 year old behind a garbage defense can only go well!

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
OK bud. Be mad about my opinion. :laugh:

You're right. Starting a 21 year old behind a garbage defense can only go well!

You're creating a strawman. I didn't say that it was a guarantee to be successful. I said let him show that he is ready and capable, and if he doesn't, then give him more seasoning in the AHL.

You have given any insight as to when the right time to call him up would be. Because on one hand 21 or 22 years old is too young and he might be bad. But then you shift your argument to "well the good ones had good defenses". So how could you ever promote Cossa? You need guarantees that he is both old enough AND that the defense is going to be good? So if the Wings had an elite defense, would he be ready now? Or what happens if the team stalls out and Seider ends up regressing? Now Cossa is 25 or 26 and has been a good goalie in the AHL for years but there isn't good defense in Detroit, so do you leave him down there until you figure it out?

You have to let him show you that his talent level and his training has paid off and plays at the NHL level. The team should know whether or not he can handle the rigors or if he's the panicky mental midget that you make him out to be. Protecting him from the challenge just because you/we/they don't trust the environment he is coming into is 100% a you/we/they problem and not a Cossa problem. We can't just hold him in the AHL until Steve finally builds the perfectly insulated team.

Edit: and again, if he isn't going to be in a true time share in Detroit, put him in Grand Rapids so he can consistently play. I feel I have to keep writing this so eventually you will realize it's the main point.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
To be that big and move like he does, I just find it hard to believe he will not be a top 15 G in the NHL in his prime.
The amount of backtracking we’re gonna see from those who wanted to label him a bust at 19 years old, may hit one of those all-time levels on this site. Men that big, don’t move like he’s shown he can.

They’ve handled him exactly how you handle your prospects in net. He’s going to make his NHL debut next season, but could still be this season, if they’re out of a playoff spot with 1-2 games left. He’s earned it. His play obviously, will depend on how much NHL time he sees next year. They likely don’t go into the season with him penciled in though. 25’-26’ season, is another story.

To have Cossa and Augustine both playing at such a high level, it’s safe to say they won’t be targeting a goaltender early in the draft, for awhile.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
The amount of backtracking we’re gonna see from those who wanted to label him a bust at 19 years old, may hit one of those all-time levels on this site. Men that big, don’t move like he’s shown he can.

They’ve handled him exactly how you handle your prospects in net. He’s going to make his NHL debut next season, but could still be this season, if they’re out of a playoff spot with 1-2 games left. He’s earned it. His play obviously, will depend on how much NHL time he sees next year. They likely don’t go into the season with him penciled in though. 25’-26’ season, is another story.

To have Cossa and Augustine both playing at such a high level, it’s safe to say they won’t be targeting a goaltender early in the draft, for awhile.
Griffins still have a good shot at First in the Division…Hutchinson will be up before Cossa…and I don’t think either will be up

Reactions: wings95

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Currently has a better save percentage than Wallstedt .912 vs .908 and is .02 behind the earlier draft year/pick Askarov at .914 vs .912.

Crazy how everyone pretty much had them top 3 goalie prospects (with Wolf) going into this season and Cossa has caught up/possibly passed them with his play down the stretch

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I wasn’t a believer. Hard not to notice what he’s doing.

I thought his last 2 games showed his growth.

Friday it was supposed to be Husso, who promptly re-injured himself in warmups and Cossa had to start. Gave up a goal on his first shot coming in cold, then made 22/23 saves.

Then he went back to back last night and stopped 21/22 and made several great saves at the end to clinch the win against a desperate team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad