G Sebastian Cossa - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2021, 15th, DET)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If you mean his team won, yes. If you think he outplayed Wallstedt, the stats or the eye test would not agree. Iowa didn't have nearly the quality scoring chances...could've been 6-2.

Not hating on Cossa - not even getting into who is going to be the NHLer as goalies take a long time to develop. Just don't think tonight's game was one in which he was the better player.
I would agree with this take. Both goalies played well, but Wallstedt was the reason this went to OT.

I'm not saying it's connected but Ben Simon is an assistant for Iowa now and they stink this year.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I would agree with this take. Both goalies played well, but Wallstedt was the reason this went to OT.

I'm not saying it's connected but Ben Simon is an assistant for Iowa now and they stink this year.
I think it’s just a language barrier thing. Outdueled doesn’t mean better, it means they won the battle.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Got to get goaltending fixed.

Imagine:

1. Watching Chiarot and Petry skate through quicksand and, if they happen to make it back in time, both be on the same side of the ice leaving a man wide open, and determine that goaltending is the problem.

2. Implying that the solution to that "problem" should be rushing your 21 year old goalie into the league. That historically goes very well.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Imagine:

1. Watching Chiarot and Petry skate through quicksand and, if they happen to make it back in time, both be on the same side of the ice leaving a man wide open, and determine that goaltending is the problem.

2. Implying that the solution to that "problem" should be rushing your 21 year old goalie into the league. That historically goes very well.
I get your point and agree, was not saying rush him at all. He may not be the "savuir" but the Wings need to figure out something as Hussi, Lyon and JR are not it get some damn who can skate and see not just big bodies that can defend shoukd help out the goalie.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I get your point and agree, was not saying rush him at all. He may not be the "savuir" but the Wings need to figure out something as Hussi, Lyon and JR are not it get some damn who can skate and see not just big bodies that can defend shoukd help out the goalie.

Lyon has been fine for the most part. His biggest error is that he sometimes overplays and gets way out of position, and our defense is nowhere near good enough to cover for that.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yzerman had no issue going with a 22 year old Vasy as TB's #1 - Vasy was obviously a higher level prospect but I don't think it's outrageous to suggest we might be 12-18 months away from Cossa time in Detroit IF he keeps playing like this in the AHL.

Key words: "Vasy was obviously a higher level prospect".

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Andrew Rinaldi
https://twitter.com/GR_Rinaldi_
@GR_Rinaldi_
''Sebastian Cossa’s last start that ended in a regulation loss?January 12 against the Rockford IceHogsSeabass gave up one goal in that one''

bob kaser - ''Sebastian Cossa stops 32 of 33 to improve to 9-0-5 in his last 14 starts and 11-1-5 in past 17 decisions. During the 17, his GAA is 2.05 and save percentage at .925.''

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I want to see him get a ton of games next year as GRs starter, then plan to be in Detroit the following year. If he wins the starter role that year great, but we plan for him to be the backup.

Goalie is the role you absolutely do not rush. Especially a huge dude like Cossa. Big guys often take a little longer to hit their stride.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I want to see him get a ton of games next year as GRs starter, then plan to be in Detroit the following year. If he wins the starter role that year great, but we plan for him to be the backup.

Goalie is the role you absolutely do not rush. Especially a huge dude like Cossa. Big guys often take a little longer to hit their stride.

I think I disagree, you have Husso, Lyon, Cossa and Gylander under contract entering next season.

You absolutely come into next camp and allow Cossa a chance to play his way onto the roster. Given that we seem to be employing the 3 goalie approach, as long as he stands to be roughly a 50/50 tandem in the NHL, I would allow him to stay up. If he is going to be the press box goalie, then obviously let him get 50 starts in Grand Rapids.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think I disagree, you have Husso, Lyon, Cossa and Gylander under contract entering next season.

You absolutely come into next camp and allow Cossa a chance to play his way onto the roster. Given that we seem to be employing the 3 goalie approach, as long as he stands to be roughly a 50/50 tandem in the NHL, I would allow him to stay up. If he is going to be the press box goalie, then obviously let him get 50 starts in Grand Rapids.
I think developing the mental ability to get through a 50 game pro season is a needed step for most goalies. Being the default starter allows you to work through bad patches, and I think that is needed for a young goalie. If he makes the Wings next year it is almost guaranteed to be as a backup. That means he isn't going to get the chance to get back out there right away if he has a bad game.

Cossa obviously has the athletic ability to be a great goalie. He has to continue to develop the mental ability and technique to supplement that. We've seen lots of goalies go through fantastic small stretches (See Lyon this year or even last year) but what separates the journeyman starters and backups from true elite starters is their consistency. So far he's shown that he can be great for a couple of months at a time at a Pro level. He has finished both his ECHL and AHL season strong. The NHL is not really a development league for goalies. You can't give them 10 minutes a game like you can forwards and dmen and ease their way up to that level.

For Cossa to join the Wings next season he would have to just dominate and win the starters position outright. Very few young goalies in NHL history have been able to do that. If he comes in and goes full Roy, I can't take that away from him. Statistically speaking its unlikely to happen.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If he makes the Wings next year it is almost guaranteed to be as a backup.

Based on what level of confidence in Husso and Lyon? Lyon clearly can play for spells but not as a number 1. Husso can't seem to stay healthy and played like shit before getting hurt. There is nobody with a strong hold on the #1 role, evidenced on how Lyon just gave it to Reimer this year and Husso had lost it before getting hurt.

The best goalie will play.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Rushing an early 20s goalie into the NHL has gone historically bad since the early 2000s.

The exceptions are the absolute elite prospect tier like Vasi or Price. And Cossa ain't at the level either of them were.

Even Oettinger is having a shit year after starting his career hot at 22.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Rushing an early 20s goalie into the NHL has gone historically bad since the early 2000s.

The exceptions are the absolute elite prospect tier like Vasi or Price. And Cossa ain't at the level either of them were.

Even Oettinger is having a shit year after starting his career hot at 22.

Oh piss off with that nonsense. Oettinger's career numbers were 78-34-19 in 131 starts with a .916 and 2.42 before this season. Don't try to weasel your way into including him as evidence that rushing a goalie is bad. He was good over parts of 3 seasons before having a down year.

I don't want to characterize anything as rushing a goalie prospect. You are simply just ready when you are ready. Does Swayman look like he was rushed because he played the second fiddle in Boston at 22 or 23 years old?

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
Oh piss off with that nonsense. Oettinger's career numbers were 78-34-19 in 131 starts with a .916 and 2.42 before this season. Don't try to weasel your way into including him as evidence that rushing a goalie is bad. He was good over parts of 3 seasons before having a down year.

I don't want to characterize anything as rushing a goalie prospect. You are simply just ready when you are ready. Does Swayman look like he was rushed because he played the second fiddle in Boston at 22 or 23 years old?
>you are simply just ready when you are ready
This right here. No two goalies are the same or follow same trajectory. HFBoooords users so badly want Cossa to bust and will cope until the cows come home. Its like if theyre not a starter with good save percentage by 22, the pile-on in these threads starts. Ridiculous.

Nice username, btw.

Reactions: cole von cole

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

He was good behind Dallas' defense. Which is a hell of a lot better than a 2nd pairing of Chiarot and Petry lol.

It's hilarious that people want to put a kid behind our garbage defense and destroy his confidence when he gets shelled.

Reactions: cole von cole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad