G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Because he's now miles behind Kahkonen, Sorokin, and Ned. He wouldn't get a nom if there were zero skaters.
1 bad game for any of those and they would have the same Sv% as Lankinen. With almost half a season left to play. Yep, definitely doesn't even belong to the conversation. It can't possibly be that the stats of those three are inflated by a very small sample size. Okay.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So what does the timeline look for him to get a full, bonafide starters workload? Are the Islanders looking to make a trade if and when they are convinced he’s got what it takes? Is this going to be a Rask/Halak situation fir the next two and a half years?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
So what does the timeline look for him to get a full, bonafide starters workload? Are the Islanders looking to make a trade if and when they are convinced he’s got what it takes? Is this going to be a Rask/Halak situation fir the next two and a half years?
Probably Rask/Halak this year, next year as well. It really depends on how he finishes this season, what salary he's going to want and if he improves.

He's had some great games but there's been some positioning problems where he's been beat on goals most goalies would stop. An adjustment period to the NHL game basically. He's working with Korn and Greco so I expect him to get better.

Varlamov has been incredible. You don't just move on immediately from him. In the grand scheme of things, five mill for what he provides is either low or just about average for what he provides.

We have some anchors, contract-wise but he's not one of them.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

There are too many unknowns. Sorokin is a RFA at the end of the season. NYI will have to expose a goalie during the expansion draft. Who knows what will happen?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
* he has won 8 straight

I have to give out a shout to Lou, Trotz, and this guy Mitch Korn and Greco. But in particular Korn who has a terrific track record of turning Goalies into very good NHL Goalies. The one thing that is a staple of Lamoriello teams, is the emphasis on goaltending. The Isles really have set up a good network for Goalies to come in and succeed. It started with Lehner, then Greiss and Varly. And it looks like Sorokin who has the most raw ability of all of them is going to be another success story. I can't even say Sorokin has touched the tip of his ability, but 8 straight wins, .922 save % considering he lost his first 2 starts. It's trending in the right direction for the Isles and Sorokin.

Reactions: SI90

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Aaaand 3 days/2 games later Lankinen is back to .920 with more starts, more wins etc. Arguably on the worst team too. So yeah, miles behind.

Smart move awarding the Calder in March.

3.00 GAA and .900 SVP since March.

He's having a great rookie season on a weak team. But he is clearly regressing after a very strong start.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Knowing that Varly still has 2 years to his contract (with a modified no-trade clause), I really have a hard time seeing Sorokin being the Isles' 2nd goaltender one again next year. The Islanders probably want to avoid the kind of start the Rangers had this year with Shestyerkin, who battled a few injuries and had kind of a rocky start, but Sorokin is showing absolutely no sign of slowing down and is stealing games more than Varlamov is. Your thoughts ?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Knowing that Varly still has 2 years to his contract (with a modified no-trade clause), I really have a hard time seeing Sorokin being the Isles' 2nd goaltender one again next year. The Islanders probably want to avoid the kind of start the Rangers had this year with Shestyerkin, who battled a few injuries and had kind of a rocky start, but Sorokin is showing absolutely no sign of slowing down and is stealing games more than Varlamov is. Your thoughts ?

I could def see it. Varly is a good goalie who would be a great get for a lot of competing teams. Probably will need that space to sign players anyway.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I think we will see Varly transition to the 1B as soon as next season.

Trotz likes and trusts Sorokin. You can really tell based on the way he talks about the kid.

My 2c is that Soro needs to work on a few things, but his raw athleticism is top notch - he is very talented, we are lucky to have him. With Varly, Korn and Trotz as his mentors, I am very optimistic.

Reactions: sebsisles

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s going to be 26 to start next season. You are not maximizing his value and the salary cap to keep him splitting time with Varlamov.

He has a very high floor right now. He’s shown that with his play in the KHL, and now the NHL. If he improves some areas, that’ll increase his ceiling, but I don’t see how Sorokin without any improvements is not a viable starting goalie.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
Looks like Sorokin will be the man to take the Isles far in the playoffs this year if the Isles go on a run. He's looked great in both playoff games he's played so far

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
This guy might become better than Vasy
giphy.gif

plz no jinxes

but in seriousness yeah that was an amazing game from him tonight. He has amazing agility to compensate for his average size, and with Trotz' system, Mitch Korn as his goalie supervisor, and Varly as a mentor... I think he has quite a bright future on the island.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
48 save win in game 5

Yep, this is looking like a draft find by the Islanders.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Korn and Trotz can turn Varlamov into roughly a top five goalie at his absolute best. He’s been that this season.

With some help from Korn and Trotz, Sorokin could win a Vezina at his best.

He’s nearly 26 years old. He should be the starter from here on out. Varlamov can accept a back up position or a trade. Islanders need to take sentiment out of this decision.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad