G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Lou will want to speak with his agent this spring/summer.

Come on over, let's work something out.

Something tells me, Sorokin, under Korn, and in the Trotz's system is going to be a good thing!

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I just wanna see Sorokin and Shestyorkin come over asap. Love the fact they are in NYR and NYI too. Add in Samsonov in Washington with Vasi in Tampa and this potentially makes for a unbelievable future in the NHL over in the East.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just wanna see Sorokin and Shestyorkin come over asap. Love the fact they are in NYR and NYI too. Add in Samsonov in Washington with Vasi in Tampa and this potentially makes for a unbelievable future in the NHL over in the East.
I agree Jimmy. The Isles need to find a way to get Sorokin over to the NHL next year. When you draft and develop a player that is knocking it out of the park in terms of development, it is a fail if that player is not on the NHL team playing for you. Lehner's contract is done after this year. He has filled in admirably, but Sorokin is the present and future. Isles got to find a way to get him in an Isles uniform next season. It would be a fail if we are reading how great he is doing in the KHL next year again.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I agree Jimmy. The Isles need to find a way to get Sorokin over to the NHL next year. When you draft and develop a player that is knocking it out of the park in terms of development, it is a fail if that player is not on the NHL team playing for you. Lehner's contract is done after this year. He has filled in admirably, but Sorokin is the present and future. Isles got to find a way to get him in an Isles uniform next season. It would be a fail if we are reading how great he is doing in the KHL next year again.

Pounding the table isn't going to get it done. Russian posters have said over and over that Sorokin would have had to notify his team about a buyout in advance. There's no reason to believe he has, and there's no reason to believe that he could buy out his contract. There's not even reason to believe that Sorokin wants to buy out his contract.

Staple has said that NYI would like him over, but that's hardly news. Of course they do!

NYI have to go on, and talk to Sorokin, and make a plan that takes into consideration how open Sorokin and his agent have been with them. If they are confident that Sorokin will be an Islander in 2020-2021, they should make plans accordingly. If not, they should let anything Sorokin does be a pleasant (or unpleasant) surprise and make other plans. Doing other than that would be a fail. But making something happen that isn't possible, or the player doesn't want isn't a failure no matter how many times or how loud you say it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pounding the table isn't going to get it done. Russian posters have said over and over that Sorokin would have had to notify his team about a buyout in advance. There's no reason to believe he has, and there's no reason to believe that he could buy out his contract. There's not even reason to believe that Sorokin wants to buy out his contract.

Staple has said that NYI would like him over, but that's hardly news. Of course they do!

NYI have to go on, and talk to Sorokin, and make a plan that takes into consideration how open Sorokin and his agent have been with them. If they are confident that Sorokin will be an Islander in 2020-2021, they should make plans accordingly. If not, they should let anything Sorokin does be a pleasant (or unpleasant) surprise and make other plans. Doing other than that would be a fail. But making something happen that isn't possible, or the player doesn't want isn't a failure no matter how many times or how loud you say it.

No one is pounding the table. I am looking at it rationally and objectively. I know Igor Eronko's tweets. I posted them on HF boards. All I am saying is if the Isles own a player, that could help them improve. And again Lehner is not signed next season. This is a must explore for the Isles Mgt team. What I have to go on, is Lou does have a history for getting Russian based players. I know how Russian fans feel, they would prefer to have Sorokin play out his contract in CSKA, but Lou may have other ideas. It's not like Malkin and Ledecky are not shy throwing the money around. If there is a will there is a way. Either way Sorokin will be an Islander. To me from a NHL perspective of wanting to watch the best players/prospects. 2020 is preferable to 2021.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
No one is pounding the table. I am looking at it rationally and objectively. I know Igor Eronko's tweets. I posted them on HF boards. All I am saying is if the Isles own a player, that could help them improve. And again Lehner is not signed next season. This is a must explore for the Isles Mgt team. What I have to go on, is Lou does have a history for getting Russian based players. I know how Russian fans feel, they would prefer to have Sorokin play out his contract in CSKA, but Lou may have other ideas. It's not like Malkin and Ledecky are not shy throwing the money around. If there is a will there is a way. Either way Sorokin will be an Islander. To me from a NHL perspective of wanting to watch the best players/prospects. 2020 is preferable to 2021.

Of course they'd like to get him over. But you're moving the goalposts. It's not a fail if they don't get him over, because he might not be able or not want to come over for 2019-2020. Again, it's not a question about Russian fans vs NHL fans. It's about what's possible for Sorokin and what Sorokin wants. Do you have any reason to believe he wants to or can come over? If so, say so without saying it's a "fail" if NYI doesn't get him over. NYI own his NHL rights, not Sorokin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Of course they'd like to get him over. But you're moving the goalposts. It's not a fail if they don't get him over, because he might not be able or not want to come over for 2019-2020. Again, it's not a question about Russian fans vs NHL fans. It's about what's possible for Sorokin and what Sorokin wants. Do you have any reason to believe he wants to or can come over? If so, say so without saying it's a "fail" if NYI doesn't get him over. NYI own his NHL rights, not Sorokin.
Yes I believe he does. There are ways, if the Isles really want him to come over a year early.
Sorokin (6-2, 167) has two years remaining on his contract to play in the Kontinental Hockey League, but the Islanders remain confident they can get the 23-year-old to New York at some point. Sorokin has 67 wins and 23 shutouts over the past three seasons with CSKA Moscow.
"I've talked to him myself, and he's excited about coming to the National Hockey League," Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "I know that he was free to come (in 2017) and then re-signed. There's always different reasons why people do it, but I'm comfortable at the conversation I've had with him, and also his representative. We look forward to getting him sometime along the way here."
Well, that seemed to come out of the blue. If you remember not too long ago a report from a Russian writer came out that Ilya Sorokin wanted no part of Garth Snow. Can’t say I blame the kid there.
Top prospects for New York Islanders
New York Islanders Daily: Ilya Sorokin Excited About Lamoriello and NHL

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yes I believe he does. There are ways, if the Isles really want him to come over a year early.

Name them, because the notion that "at some point" means next year is ridiculous. Staple is not an idiot - If he wanted to write "next year" instead of "at some point" he would have.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Name them, because the notion that "at some point" means next year is ridiculous. Staple is not an idiot - If he wanted to write "next year" instead of "at some point" he would have.
Staple is the one that bought it up in December.

I am not saying it will happen before 2020, only if the Isles wanted, they could make CSKA think about it long and hard. As Lou does have a history with getting Russian players.

Reactions: Newsworthy

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Then why would you say it's a fail if he doesn't come over for 2019-2020? I would have strongly agreed if you had said, "It would be great if Sorokin came over for 2019-2020, but would be a failure if New York Islanders failed to sign him after his contract with CSKA expires (or if he resigns with CSKA)." For sure. That's what NYI fans should expect - Sorokin in Fall 2020. If that doesn't happen, we should be seriously disappointed. If he comes sooner, it would be totally unexpected.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Then why would you say it's a fail if he doesn't come over for 2019-2020? I would have strongly agreed if you had said, "It would be great if Sorokin came over for 2019-2020, but would be a failure if New York Islanders failed to sign him after his contract with CSKA expires (or if he resigns with CSKA)." For sure. That's what NYI fans should expect - Sorokin in Fall 2020. If that doesn't happen, we should be seriously disappointed. If he comes sooner, it would be totally unexpected.
You are putting words in my mouth. Let me clarify. It is a failure if a team does not ice the best talent it has on a yearly basis. This is not exclusive to the Islanders. I think most can agree Sorokin is NHL ready. He has been lights out for 4 years and especially in his last 2 years now in the KHL. Another year while great for Russian fans does not help the Islanders.

I think it would be a win for the Islanders and the NHL if Lou was able to get him out a year early. Again, the tweet above says it is up to CSKA. It doesn't take much imagination to guess what that incentive i$.

All I said today was The Isles should explore every option in getting Sorokin to come over. Your question of whether he wants to and how was answered above, and IMO it is a fail if he is still playing for the KHL next year, not a massive fail, but a fail when the team's #1 goaltending prospect is not in NA learning under the best goaltending coach Korn, with Greco under Trotz's defensive system next season especially when Lehner is not signed, with an opening on the roster.

Regardless if the Isles wait until after 2020, then they will win then if they sign him then.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You are putting words in my mouth. Let me clarify. It is a failure if a team does not ice the best talent it has on a yearly basis. This is not exclusive to the Islanders. I think most can agree Sorokin is NHL ready. He has been lights out for 4 years and especially in his last 2 years now in the KHL. Another year while great for Russian fans does not help the Islanders.

Saying "If you had said..." is not putting words in your mouth. And you are moving the goalposts for the second time now.

think it would be a win for the Islanders and the NHL if Lou was able to get him out a year early. Again, the tweet above says it is up to CSKA. It doesn't take much imagination to guess what that incentive i$.

And the NHL has a salary cap, and ELC rules. So, it actually takes quite a lot of imagination to see how that incentive has anything at all to do with what the Islanders organization can do. Thinking that LL should launder money to CSKA to get Sorokin over early is stupid. I'm done.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

I think it would be a win for the Islanders and the NHL if Lou was able to get him out a year early. Again, the tweet above says it is up to CSKA. It doesn't take much imagination to guess what that incentive i$.

All I said today was The Isles should explore every option in getting Sorokin to come over. Your question of whether he wants to and how was answered above, and IMO it is a fail if he is still playing for the KHL next year, not a massive fail, but a fail when the team's #1 goaltending prospect is not in NA learning under the best goaltending coach Korn, with Greco under Trotz's defensive system next season especially when Lehner is not signed, with an opening on the roster.

Regardless if the Isles wait until after 2020, then they will win then if they sign him then.

With no transfer agreement (and a respect of contracts MOU in place), the Islanders have literally no say in the matter of Sorokin’s contract.
For instance, the NHL would prohibit any ‘compensation’ from NYI to CSKA for getting Sorokin out of his contract.

Reactions: dano16

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Saying "If you had said..." is not putting words in your mouth. And you are moving the goalposts for the second time now.

And the NHL has a salary cap, and ELC rules. So, it actually takes quite a lot of imagination to see how that incentive has anything at all to do with what the Islanders organization can do. Thinking that LL should launder money to CSKA to get Sorokin over early is stupid. I'm done.
This does not address the points I made in my post. But thanks for the conversation.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There’s also the risk that Sorokin may not even have success in the NHL.

That risk is low, but it still exists.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With no transfer agreement (and a respect of contracts MOU in place), the Islanders have literally no say in the matter of Sorokin’s contract.
For instance, the NHL would prohibit any ‘compensation’ from NYI to CSKA for getting Sorokin out of his contract.
There is no current transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL. The only way out is for CSKA to release Sorokin from his contract. Already posted this, we are in agreement.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
There is no current transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL. The only way out is for CSKA to release Sorokin from his contract. Already posted this, we are in agreement.

We’re half in agreement.

Yea the only way out is for CSKA to release him; however your assertion that ‘if there’s a will there’s a way’ as it pertains to Lamoroello helping to facilitate said release is non-sensical. It’s not the 1990s anymore. NHL teams have zero leverage nowadays, nor would Bettman allow it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We’re half in agreement.

Yea the only way out is for CSKA to release him; however your assertion that ‘if there’s a will there’s a way’ as it pertains to Lamoroello helping to facilitate said release is non-sensical. It’s not the 1990s anymore. NHL teams have zero leverage nowadays, nor would Bettman allow it.
What if Sorokin and his agent asks CSKA for a release?

If he wins a championship, wins all the awards and accolades this year, he may have a change of heart. It wouldn't be shocking if a player wanted to play in the NHL after reaching the pinnacle of success in another league would it?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Rare photo of Sorokin

2-It-would-be-amazing-if-these-creatures-really-did-exist.-Via-Tony-Hakim.jpg

JoukoPouko

What if Sorokin and his agent asks CSKA for a release?

If he wins a championship, wins all the awards and accolades this year, he may have a change of heart. It wouldn't be shocking if a player wanted to play in the NHL after reaching the pinnacle of success in another league would it?
Please explain why CSKA would let go their superstar No. 1 goalie for nothing when there's zero leverage against them. Perhaps then someone might take your points seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad