G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I agree there's smoke, but it's also possible that they are planing for the Fall of 2020 as opposed to the Fall of 2019.

At any rate, I'd be very happy with a Sorokin/Greiss combo. Sure it's a risk, but I think we agree that Lehner over 4+ is a really big risk.

Yup absolutely, especially when you consider NYI already has a handful of less than favorable contracts (Ladd, CBuck, Komarov, Hickey, etc) and the fact that there is potential for tons of talent to be available this summer and every bit of cap space counts, especially if you’re considering throwing an offer sheet north of the border ;).

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yup absolutely, especially when you consider NYI already has a handful of less than favorable contracts (Ladd, CBuck, Komarov, Hickey, etc) and the fact that there is potential for tons of talent to be available this summer and every bit of cap space counts, especially if you’re considering throwing an offer sheet north of the border ;).

Offer sheets right before the potential opt-out of the CBA is the very last thing I expect to see, but I agree with everything else you said.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The isles are now built for success defensively. Trotz system could only help a young goaltender. Let’s hope Sorokin takes this into consideration.

Sign Lehner for a few years and hope Sorokin can come over and take the job from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The isles are now built for success defensively. Trotz system could only help a young goaltender. Let’s hope Sorokin takes this into consideration.

Sign Lehner for a few years and how Sorokin can come over and take the job from him.
It would be in everyone's best interests, honestly. Would leave Lehner enough years to get that one big contract, add a few good years to his resume behind the reliable system and would ease Sorokin into things.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Added two more shutout wins.
This kid is like an oasis and the isles are like a dehydrated wanderer desperately hoping he isn’t a mirage lol

I don’t know how much more I can take of this.. the kid sounds very talented. I hope he decides to come to North America because otherwise it will be a big case of “what could have been”

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Of all the Islanders prospects. I think Sorokin may be the most exciting. The Isles are already #1 in GA this year with Lehner and Greiss, adding Sorokin perhaps as soon as next season, if Lou does his magic of getting him out of the KHL. Will be a huge add. He can ease into the NHL behind one of the goaltenders above, and learn under the tutelage of Korn and under the Trotz Defensive system. I don't want to sound too hyperbolic, but when he gets to the NHL, I believe he can be a franchise difference maker.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Does Sorokin want to play in the nhl or just make a good salary in Russia?

He probably wants to play in the NHL but for right now it makes more sense for him to stay in Russian until he’s ready play in the NHL full time as a 1b starter and close to free agency age. I think as it stands he would have to sign an ELC for at least one year.

He’s playing in his home country making a lot of money. No reason for him to leave just yet

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He probably wants to play in the NHL but for right now it makes more sense for him to stay in Russian until he’s ready play in the NHL full time as a 1b starter and close to free agency age. I think as it stands he would have to sign an ELC for at least one year.

He’s playing in his home country making a lot of money. No reason for him to leave just yet
That’s why I asked the Russian poster who follows him. It’s possible he just wants to make a good living and has no intention of playing in the nhl. That’s why it’s hard to get excited about a prospect who might never come to the nhl.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He will be 24 by the time the next season starts...if he signs another contract in the KHL then he's not coming.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Nikita tryamkin had to do a 2 year elc but he managed to burn year 1 off by playing at the end of a season for like 10 games. Couldn’t sorokin do the same this year and thus burn this year as his 1 year elc? Kind of like these ncaa kids?

He’s 24 this summer, so at age 23 now if he were to sign he might fall into the 2 year elc window if I recall the breakdown.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nikita tryamkin had to do a 2 year elc but he managed to burn year 1 off by playing at the end of a season for like 10 games. Couldn’t sorokin do the same this year and thus burn this year as his 1 year elc? Kind of like these ncaa kids?

He’s 24 this summer, so at age 23 now if he were to sign he might fall into the 2 year elc window if I recall the breakdown.

I guess he could do that. Only problem is the isles are leading the division and both Greiss and Lehner are playing really good so I don’t see them playing a 3rd goalie.

Unless he was the dressed back up?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess he could do that. Only problem is the isles are leading the division and both Greiss and Lehner are playing really good so I don’t see them playing a 3rd goalie.

Unless he was the dressed back up?
Likely has to play a game I would guess. But, maybe if he's got this final year in the KHL, that the Isles could work around that ELC year by having him sign at the end of the 19-20 KHL season like Tryamkin did, at which Sorokin only requires a 1 year ELC contract, so he could burn that and go right into a 2nd contract for the Isles.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I hope Lou does everything in his power to bring this kid over this summer. We haven’t had an elite goalie prospect since Luongo and DP.

Lehner can be 1A, Ilya 1B. Greiss should have value in a trade.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I want to see him over here in the NHL next year. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey. And Sorokin by all accounts is the real deal.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It isn't that simple. Sorokin is signed through next season.

And he’d have to buyout his own contract. Doesn’t make much sense financially for him. Unless he really really wants to come and play in the NHL.

I’m actually confident if Lou wants him here he will get him here

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And he’d have to buyout his own contract. Doesn’t make much sense financially for him. Unless he really really wants to come and play in the NHL.

Me also. If Lou wants to make it happen. He will make it so.

Reactions: SI90

JoukoPouko

I believe the KHL changed the rules so that a buyout would need to be initiated a year in advance. Obviously he didn't do that last summer or otherwise we would have heard about it, so he's not going anywhere. The KHL is doing everything they can to keep their players, and the NHL has agreed to honor KHL contracts, so it's not happening.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I believe the KHL changed the rules so that a buyout would need to be initiated a year in advance. Obviously he didn't do that last summer or otherwise we would have heard about it, so he's not going anywhere. The KHL is doing everything they can to keep their players, and the NHL has agreed to honor KHL contracts, so it's not happening.

I think there was some dispute on the time line of a player to notify the league and team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad