G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Im am enjoying how entertaining it is to watch how little hype there is with this kid in here. He is a deadly prospect yet nobody seems to know.

The amount this is reminding me of Carter Hart talk on this site is crazy to me. Same junior team and VERY little to no discussion about him leading into his draft. Then ofcourse after he is drafted and is the best goalie in the WHL next season, everyone will all of a sudden say that they had always wished their team would have drafted him and blah blah blah lol.

Trust me though, NHL teams are watching him extremely close... Where Everett goes, a pile of NHL scouts follow

I think you hit the nail on the head and didn't even know you did it. After watching Wolf a lot this year and last, and especially in the playoffs, I believe a lot of what we're seeing is more Dennis Williams' skill as a coach rather than Wolf's dominance in net. It's a Hitchcock like factor. Palaga's play and stats back up that theory.

I mentioned this in the Sogaard thread, but despite the hype, I'm not really big on any of the WHL's draft eligible goalies this year. And the more I look back at film, the less I like them.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why? He's projected to go somewhere in rounds 4-6, and our goalie pipeline is already stacked with Starett, Skinner, Rodrigue, Wells, and Hawkey.

Not sure I'd pencil those guys in to be surefire NHLers. From the sounds of it, the Oilers might only be offering Hawkey an AHL deal. By the time Wolf (or a hypothetical 2019 pick) would be turning pro, Starrett would be 27 and Skinner/Wells would be RFA (and perhaps one of them wouldn't be worth keeping around).

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think you hit the nail on the head and didn't even know you did it. After watching Wolf a lot this year and last, and especially in the playoffs, I believe a lot of what we're seeing is more Dennis Williams' skill as a coach rather than Wolf's dominance in net. It's a Hitchcock like factor. Palaga's play and stats back up that theory.

I mentioned this in the Sogaard thread, but despite the hype, I'm not really big on any of the WHL's draft eligible goalies this year. And the more I look back at film, the less I like them.

Spot on. Stats for goalies can be very useless. The scouts that are paid to evaluate goalies know what they are looking for and stats arent one of them.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Really happy to see Wolf get drafted. The excitement you heard from his family and friends was pretty great. The emotion and tears on his face are a great reminder how tough this day can be for these kids. It's easy to forget how much this weekend is about seemingly never-ending disappointment for a lot of them.

Yeah, he's only 6'0 and that's certainly why he was ranked low / dropped so far, but you can't argue with his production and athleticism. I wouldn't bet against Wolf. While there was relief on his face, I more so saw a kid that looked hellbent to come out of this experience as a man possessed and determined to prove the doubters wrong. It must be hard to take when you're an elite goalie at the junior level and you're treated like a goalie that's similar in size to Jeff Lerg or Dylan St. Cyr.

I'm not saying he should have been taken in the first two rounds (goalies are a tough to scout and all things being considered, you'd like to increase the odds with a tall guy) but it's not unheard for a 6'0 goalie to be good. And given that he's only 18, it's certainly possible for example that he grows another inch. If so, he's the same height as Quick, Lundqvist, Mrazek, Ward, Howard, Grubaeur, Georgiev, etc. I'm just surprised with his pedigree, athleticism, and at a size that's only a small growth spurt away from not being a concern that someone didn't roll the dice earlier.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
kid is a gamer, with goalies you just never know, but looking at many of the lurches picked before him, I have a feeling he is going to outperform many of the bigger tenders over the next few years. athleticism and skill still means something in net..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Really happy to see Wolf get drafted. The excitement you heard from his family and friends was pretty great. The emotion and tears on his face are a great reminder how tough this day can be for these kids. It's easy to forget how much this weekend is about seemingly never-ending disappointment for a lot of them.

Yeah, he's only 6'0 and that's certainly why he was ranked low / dropped so far, but you can't argue with his production and athleticism. I wouldn't bet against Wolf. While there was relief on his face, I more so saw a kid that looked hellbent to come out of this experience as a man possessed and determined to prove the doubters wrong. It must be hard to take when you're an elite goalie at the junior level and you're treated like a goalie that's similar in size to Jeff Lerg or Dylan St. Cyr.

Wolf isn't an elite goalie. Even when you throw size out the window. He's lacking in a number of areas that were constantly camouflaged in the Everett system. He went from the 4th round for me early in October to do not draft for me by the playoffs of this year as it became apparent he was a product of Dennis Williams.

Is he worth the gamble of a 7th round pick? It's debatable. I'm not mad at it, it's a 7th rounder, if Calgary likes him, great, but I think there were better goalies, even from the WHL that went undrafted. Look what happened this year the 2nd highest goalie taken was a re-entry (but that was more about not getting enough looks whereas I think Wolf got plenty, especially in March and April), I feel like there are better ways to spend late picks than on goalies-- then again you do get guys like Rinne popping out from the late rounds.

I wish him the best.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Wolf isn't an elite goalie. Even when you throw size out the window. He's lacking in a number of areas that were constantly camouflaged in the Everett system. He went from the 4th round for me early in October to do not draft for me by the playoffs of this year as it became apparent he was a product of Dennis Williams.

Is he worth the gamble of a 7th round pick? It's debatable. I'm not mad at it, it's a 7th rounder, if Calgary likes him, great, but I think there were better goalies, even from the WHL that went undrafted. Look what happened this year the 2nd highest goalie taken was a re-entry (but that was more about not getting enough looks whereas I think Wolf got plenty, especially in March and April), I feel like there are better ways to spend late picks than on goalies-- then again you do get guys like Rinne popping out from the late rounds.

I wish him the best.

It would be more interesting if you provided evidence for why you don't think Wolf is an elite junior goalie. I certainly don't see as many WHL games as most so maybe saying he's just a good junior goalie is more appropriate. But saying he's "lacking in a number of areas that were constantly camouflaged" or "was a product of Dennis Williams" aren't really compelling without any supporting evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Bookmark this or whatever need be but its a guarentee by midseason next year, people on this site will be dumbfounded how he dropped to 7th round. He will be the best goalie in the WHL next year

I know nothing about this guy, but I am surprised at the consensus on him that he will be a steal. Other than being undersized for a goalie are there any other concerns with him? You’d think he would’ve been ranked higher if that’s it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He's just got everything but size. He is quick, athletic, reads the play well, is really square. He just is not an ideal size. Its hard to be the number 1 guy if you don't have the size but I love the value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad