G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
There is no hype because of this "5-foot-11, 150-pound goaltender".....NHL scouts have much more leverage if he was 6'3.....5'11 goalie and even if he stopped every shot they would still unfairly question his size. NHL Central Scouting has him as the 17th ranked NA Goalie which is essentially means undrafted/very late round in the NHL draft. Size matters in NHL goaltending circles. Also of note - Everetts other goalie also has almost identical stats as Wolf which may be a result of Everett defense first systems.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like one of the better goalies to be picked in the 2019 draft, any idea as to what round he projects to be drafted?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seems like one of the better goalies to be picked in the 2019 draft, any idea as to what round he projects to be drafted?
It's going to be either mid or late round as of now, absolutely no hype on the kid and NHL Central Scouting had him like 15th on their list (super low). I just don't know how someone like DiPietro can be drafted in the 2nd round two years ago and a lad who's similar is looking like a 6th rounder on some lists and probably undrafted based on NHL CS.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
It's going to be either mid or late round as of now, absolutely no hype on the kid and NHL Central Scouting had him like 15th on their list (super low). I just don't know how someone like DiPietro can be drafted in the 2nd round two years ago and a lad who's similar is looking like a 6th rounder on some lists and probably undrafted based on NHL CS.

Maybe because DiPietro wasnt drafted on the second round.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

Dipietro is listed as 6' and 205 pounds and always had a solid frame. I am seeing Wolf as listed as small as 5'10 and 150 pounds. As goofy as it sounds - that 2" can be the difference from 2nd round to undrafted when it comes to goalies being drafted.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Maybe because DiPietro wasnt drafted on the second round.
Don't get your panties in a bunch odessa, is 3rd round fine? ;)

Dipietro is listed as 6' and 205 pounds and always had a solid frame. I am seeing Wolf as listed as small as 5'10 and 150 pounds. As goofy as it sounds - that 2" can be the difference from 2nd round to undrafted when it comes to goalies being drafted.
Wolf is 6'0" and a 160 lbs so not sure how or where you got 5'10" from? For the record I am not saying he's better than DiPietro, Michael is more agile and faster than Wolf. However, Dustin for me has superior positioning and IQ at reading the play. And just making the argument that if DiPietro went in the 3rd, no reason for Wolfe to drop to the 6th, 7th, or not even get drafted.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Don't get your panties in a bunch odessa, is 3rd round fine? ;)

Wolf is 6'0" and a 160 lbs so not sure how or where you got 5'10" from? For the record I am not saying he's better than DiPietro, Michael is more agile and faster than Wolf. However, Dustin for me has superior positioning and IQ at reading the play. And just making the argument that if DiPietro went in the 3rd, no reason for Wolfe to drop to the 6th, 7th, or not even get drafted.

Everett has him at 5-foot-11, 160-pound netminder
Elite prospects has him at 6' and 160
NHL has him at 6'0 and 158

Even at 6' he will be considered undersized. The most head scratching thing is why does NHL Mid Term rankings have him so low at 17th for North American Goalies?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
He’s only 160 so at the least he’s gonna grow out his frame and become much stronger and faster.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He’s only 160 so at the least he’s gonna grow out his frame and become much stronger and faster.
Ryan Miller is 6'2" and a 168 lbs (Rask is 6'3"/176 lbs and Murray is 6'4"/178 lbs), so he's super skinny for his weight and manages just fine. Goalers don't really need to put on weight as long as Wolf increases his speed, explosiveness, and lateral footwork and still weigh under 178 or so lbs.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Matt Murray looks like a heroin addict..he has to be 150 lbs soaking wet.

Notice Miller is 6'2, Rask 6'3 and Murray is 6'4" = height is key/weight not so much. Issue is Wolf is sub 6'....heroin addict line had me cracking up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Notice Miller is 6'2, Rask 6'3 and Murray is 6'4" = height is key/weight not so much. Issue is Wolf is sub 6'....heroin addict line had me cracking up.
Actually being taller means you should weigh more than goalers at 6'0" or 6'1". Carter Hart the year prior to his draft year was 6'0" and 170lbs, his draft year he was 6'1" and 175lbs, and after his draft year/currently he was 6'2" and 179lbs.

Wolf of course doesn't carry the same genetic sequences as Hart, but again just because he's 160 lbs now doesn't mean he'll bust. He'll probably be 6'1" and 168-174 lbs when he's done growing and that's around the same range of Saros, Hart, and Fleury.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Actually being taller means you should weigh more than goalers at 6'0" or 6'1". Carter Hart the year prior to his draft year was 6'0" and 170lbs, his draft year he was 6'1" and 175lbs, and after his draft year/currently he was 6'2" and 179lbs.

Wolf of course doesn't carry the same genetic sequences as Hart, but again just because he's 160 lbs now doesn't mean he'll bust. He'll probably be 6'1" and 168-174 lbs when he's done growing and that's around the same range of Saros, Hart, and Fleury.

Lets just say he is 5'11 and 160pounds as his team currently lists him as - will he get to 6'2 or 6'3? Got me....doubtful but you never know. Personally I think the height thing is overrated as long as they stop the puck. Reminds me a lot of the Kyler Murray debate for being an NFL QB.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lets just say he is 5'11 and 160pounds as his team currently lists him as - will he get to 6'2 or 6'3? Got me....doubtful but you never know. Personally I think the height thing is overrated as long as they stop the puck. Reminds me a lot of the Kyler Murray debate for being an NFL QB.
Obviously we won't know until three years down the road, but it depends because he could realistically be 5'11.5" or 5'11",8 now and WHL site always rounds their height and weight. Even then, him being 5'11" also means he could still grow to 6'1", which isn't too bad for a goaler who has Wolf's strengths (he's very similar to Saros). We'll going to have to wait and see until we get official NHL combine numbers because I am not calling WHL's inaccurate, but because he realistically probably has grown since September.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Obviously we won't know until three years down the road, but it depends because he could realistically be 5'11.5" or 5'11",8 now and WHL site always rounds their height and weight. Even then, him being 5'11" also means he could still grow to 6'1", which isn't too bad for a goaler who has Wolf's strengths (he's very similar to Saros). We'll going to have to wait and see until we get official NHL combine numbers because I am not calling WHL's inaccurate, but because he realistically probably has grown since September.

Its my experience - especially with goalies their height numbers are fudged a lot! With him being listed at 5'11 to me means he is probably 5'9...lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Its my experience - especially with goalies their height numbers are fudged a lot! With him being listed at 5'11 to me means he is probably 5'9...lol.
Can't say, but Eliteprospect and WHL don't really get too many numbers wrong compared to other sites. USNTDP in particular are probably the most inaccurate when it comes to frame, so sorry buddy but Spencer Knight is 5'8".

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Can't say, but Eliteprospect and WHL don't really get too many numbers wrong compared to other sites. USNTDP in particular are probably the most inaccurate when it comes to frame, so sorry buddy but Spencer Knight is 5'8".

Lol its just like Kyler Murray.
"Oklahoma football lists him at 5-foot-10 and 195 pounds, Oklahoma baseball says he’s 5-foot-11, as does Google.
But especially for athletes on the shorter side, it’s possible their official sizes are exaggerated a little – and some have pointed out that he might actually be a few inches shorter. Last week on First Take, Stephen A. Smith praised Murray’s talent and speed, but said “it’s kind and generous to say he’s 5-9.”
Well, Mike Houck, Oklahoma’s assistant athletics director for strategic communications, took issue with that, and he tweeted Murray’s exact measured height from the beginning of the 2018 college football season, which is 5-foot-9 and 7/8 inches in socks. Have heard a couple even say they think he's more like 5-8. Before the season, our strength staff measured him at 5-9 7/8 in socks. Measured at combine at 5'10" and people say thats inflated. "He’s 5’9” standing on $4.7million. He’s 5’10” standing on $15million."

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Why? His numbers look amazing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why? His numbers look amazing.
Simply because he's 5'11"/6'0" and not 6'3" and him potentially growing might disrupt some of the strengths which makes him this good in the first place. For me, he's easily the second best goaler in this draft after Knight and I would risk taking him in the 2nd round for a team which has multiple picks. However, because he's 6'0" he will probably drop to the 4th to 6th round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad