G Christopher Gibson (2011, 49th, LAK; TOR; traded to NYI)

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
From the website of the league
http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/article/sagueneens-christopher-gibson-named-vaughn-chl-goaltender-of-the-week

Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that 2011 NHL Entry Draft prospect Christopher Gibson of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending January 9. Gibson, who is the top rated CHL goaltender in NHL Central Scouting’s midterm rankings at number two, went 2-0-0-1 with a goals-against-average of 1.58 and save percentage of .950.

Gibson stopped a total of 96 shots in three games beginning his week with a solid 37-save performance as first star of a 2-1 win over the Montreal Juniors on Tuesday. On Saturday, he stopped 23 shots despite a 3-2 shootout loss to the Victoriaville Tigres before making an impressive 36 saves on Sunday as part of a 3-2 overtime win over the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

Gibson, an 18-year-old Finnish native is playing in his second QMJHL season with the Sagueneens. In 21 games played this season he currently holds the best goals-against-average and save percentage in the QMJHL with a mark of 2.09 and .930 respectively.

Fellow 2011 NHL Entry Draft prospect Mike Morrison of the Kitchener Rangers was also considered for the award after winning two games in two starts with a goals-against-average of 1.50 and save percentage of .954. In the WHL, two-time award winner Darcy Kuemper of the Red Deer Rebels went 1-0-0-1 with a goals-against-average of 0.960 and save percentage of .962.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
There is a good interview of him on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLCV6GG4qwY

It's weird because it seems like he speaks english with a french canadian accent even though he probably doesn't speak a lot of french.

no kidding, a finn who speak english with a french accent :laugh:

he's an excellent goaltender and if he wouldnt had been injured would have been in the running for the league MVP. Chicoutimi without him would be in big time trouble.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

he's an excellent goaltender and if he wouldnt had been injured would have been in the running for the league MVP. Chicoutimi without him would be in big time trouble.

Chicoutimi are already in trouble. With gibson on board, they possibly lost one of the top spot at the draft. B

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
There is a good interview of him on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLCV6GG4qwY

It's weird because it seems like he speaks english with a french canadian accent even though he probably doesn't speak a lot of french.
Thanks for the link.

Young kids tend to learn the accents much better than those who come across the pond in their 20's. Gibson left Finland when he was 15, so naturally he speaks with a different accent than your average Finn. Also, I think his father is british. Still though, the accent is a funny combination of French and Finnish accent.

He is still completely unknown in Finland, because of the non-Finnish name and the fact that he moved at such an early age, so all kinds of information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
where is he expected to go in the draft. His numbers are insane, leading the league in GAA even though his team is medicore.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
where is he expected to go in the draft. His numbers are insane, leading the league in GAA even though his team is medicore.

Wouldn't be shocked if he went late in round one.

I would say he is a lock for round 2 though.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'd go for him if I had two first rounders and one of them was at the end of the first round. Have a good feeling about this kid. Great attitude and natural instincts with a thirst to get better and soak in information.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski

He speaks a good french. I think he has a GF from Chicoutimi. He learns somes bad words from Quebec hehe. :nod:

I'm sure he will be a good NHL starter. He has skills, he is very smart and confident.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It will be interesting to see where the goalies land. The Gibsons and Perhonen and if Conz is finally drafted.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Makes sense, Sparks has made strides and Bibeau was just as good.

member 147413

Like him, showed steady improvement since coming to Toronto. Has backup NHL potential.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He has had a nice run with the Islanders, 95.7 save percentage in three games, including a 50 and 52 save games. Tiny sample size, but hopefully he becomes an NHL regular for someone, I think he is an UFA this year.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I completely forgot about him, he was quite highly touted back in the days. Nice to see him playing well even though the sample size is minimal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He’s played well and yes it’s an extremely small sample size, but he’s looked insanely calm and collected. Rebound control and overall body movment has been great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad