G Carter Hart (2016, 48th, PHI)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It’s all the more impressive considering the team around him. I don’t have any precise stats, but I can tell you for a fact that he regularly faces numerous high-danger scoring chances + a high overall volume of shots. Hart has to be their best player every game for them to have a real chance to win; the fact that he has taken the team on his back with ever-increasing confidence and ability over the last several years has to make Flyers fans happy.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Hart is doing everything asked of him and is having a spectacular season to date. I will be the skeptic until he does it in the AHL and then does it again in the NHL. Too many superstar G prospects have flamed out at the next level for me to say "Mission accomplished" in getting the franchise goaltender the Flyers desperately need.

I'm not saying that anyone here has anointed Hart as the franchise goaltender -- well, not seriously -- but I have to keep my own expectations in check.

EDIT: I should have read more posts before this, as it seems my foot is not alone pumping the hype brake. ;)

As a long-time Silvertips fan, Flyers fans should have no reason to pump the hype brake. This guy is legit. I would be shocked if he's not a Top 5 goalie in the league in 5-10 years. He has no reason to not succeed. It's not like he's on a stacked team, beating shitty teams. He IS the team, stopping 40+ shots on a regular basis, and he's been shutting down guys like Yamamoto, Barzal, Glass etc. his whole WHL career. I'm not even trying to be a Tips homer, the dude is the craziest, most poised goalie I've seen in the WHL since Carey Price. Each game he is rock-solid. You guys should be incredibly excited and I am so jealous you guys have him.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I assume he'll spend some time in the AHL rather than jumping directly to the NHL? I know goalies almost always marinate in the AHL beforehand but Hart seems special, so wondered if people see him differently especially given the Flyers goalie situation.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I assume he'll spend some time in the AHL rather than jumping directly to the NHL? I know goalies almost always marinate in the AHL beforehand but Hart seems special, so wondered if people see him differently especially given the Flyers goalie situation.

GM Hextall is a big believer in the AHL and not rushing prospects to the big team. He is very patient. Hart will assuredly be in the AHL next year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As a long-time Silvertips fan, Flyers fans should have no reason to pump the hype brake. This guy is legit. I would be shocked if he's not a Top 5 goalie in the league in 5-10 years. He has no reason to not succeed. It's not like he's on a stacked team, beating ****ty teams. He IS the team, stopping 40+ shots on a regular basis, and he's been shutting down guys like Yamamoto, Barzal, Glass etc. his whole WHL career. I'm not even trying to be a Tips homer, the dude is the craziest, most poised goalie I've seen in the WHL since Carey Price. Each game he is rock-solid. You guys should be incredibly excited and I am so jealous you guys have him.

Thanks very much for your insight, Stive. Much more valuable than just looking at stat lines and highlight clips. There is just so much variability in both goaltenders and from league to league. I am thrilled that Hart is tearing up the WHL and is doing everything in his power to be an A+ prospect at that level. He'll have to re-establish himself in the A and then in the NHL, though, to be the guy Flyers fans have been craving for years.

One specific question for you: my deeply inset bias is that Hart is all about the positioning and anticipation of play, and is only so-so in his glove play. How quick are his blocker and trapper on top-corner snipes?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I would expect Hart to be one of the Phantoms goalies next season along with Alex Lyon, or Anthony Stolarz if Stolarz can get thru waivers. Stolarz is going to miss most of 17-18 with a knee injury.

I think 2015 3rd round pick Felix Sandstrom will play in Sweden again next season. He has a hereditary stomach issue that may cause him to miss the rest of 17-18.

Reactions: Rob Brown

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I would expect Hart to be one of the Phantoms goalies next season along with Alex Lyon, or Anthony Stolarz if Stolarz can get thru waivers. Stolarz is going to miss most of 17-18 with a knee injury.

I think 2015 3rd round pick Felix Sandstrom will play in Sweden again next season. He has a hereditary stomach issue that may cause him to miss the rest of 17-18.

This is really disconcerting about Sandstrom. Thanks to Google Translate, this article says that he may need surgery to repair the condition.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
GM Hextall is a big believer in the AHL and not rushing prospects to the big team. He is very patient. Hart will assuredly be in the AHL next year.
Hexy does believe in the AHL, except if the kids are really ready: Provorov, Konecny, Patrick. Could Hart come to camp, stone everyone and make the team? It's at least theoretically possible based on precedent.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Hexy does believe in the AHL, except if the kids are really ready: Provorov, Konecny, Patrick. Could Hart come to camp, stone everyone and make the team? It's at least theoretically possible based on precedent.
The difference is none of those 3 were AHL eligible, it was either NHL or CHL.
Hart will almost certainly start in the AHL and if there is an injury he might get some games in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No team is going to rush a guy from Junior/NCA to the NHL as a goalie in the modern NHL.

Carey Price is the last guy I can remember doing it. Luongo had a split year. These guys were also viewed as prodigies, and the thinking around goalies since then has changed. Remember, last year the darling of junior goalies was Tyler Parsons, who is now in the ECHL. Now, I think Hart is a better prospect due to having better fundamentals. But I can't see anyone pushing a junior goalie straight to the NHL.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Thanks very much for your insight, Stive. Much more valuable than just looking at stat lines and highlight clips. There is just so much variability in both goaltenders and from league to league. I am thrilled that Hart is tearing up the WHL and is doing everything in his power to be an A+ prospect at that level. He'll have to re-establish himself in the A and then in the NHL, though, to be the guy Flyers fans have been craving for years.

One specific question for you: my deeply inset bias is that Hart is all about the positioning and anticipation of play, and is only so-so in his glove play. How quick are his blocker and trapper on top-corner snipes?

His glove is not as quick as you'd like it to be, but he's usually in such good position and so poised that a lot of the time it's not an issue. If someone's wide open for a one timer or something like that, however, he'll struggle with that sometimes.

Of course he's far from a sure thing, as is any prospect, but I would be flabbergasted if he isn't at least an NHL starter. I expect at least 1 Vezina in his career. Everything I've seen him do over the last 4 years here in Everett (and international play) is nothing short of amazing.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

I have stated before that if he comes into camp and continues to play like he has the past three years it would not surprise me if he made the big club but most likely he spends some time in LV just knowing our GM.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I have stated before that if he comes into camp and continues to play like he has the past three years it would not surprise me if he made the big club but most likely he spends some time in LV just knowing our GM.
I basically agree that he SHOULD spend some time in the AHL, just noting that Hexy don't give 2 craps what we think. :)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
*deep sigh* This is always death here...having a dissenting opinion on a main board, especially in the face of hype and old standbys like save pct. or whatever stat he is killing it in haha...but here goes...

I don't think this guy is tracking towards being a starting NHL goalie of any noteworthy regard. I've seen him, I've seen him live, I'm going to see more of him when I fly out to Buffalo in a couple days (where he is on my shortlist of players to get updated notes on)...the good that I see, is that he is athletic, he plays between the posts pretty well and his puck-tracking is pretty sure-handed. You see that chin is tucked as he tracks across, it's confident, it's head first...I guess he's a Braden Holtby disciple in that regard, as I think his head movements want to be like Holtby's - so that's a plus. And frankly, it's a good foundation for success. Tracking and athleticism is enough to start the wheels moving on the development arc. He's not frantic in net, he's rarely outside his posts with over-commits...in fact, if anything, he might under-commit to some stuff interestingly...

I honestly have no idea what his numbers are, I've heard good things, but averaging statistics and scouting go together like lamb and tuna fish...but from a development perspective, I've been less than impressed in how he's progressed in the last 12 or so months. I see a lot of the same holes in his technique in the time where a lot of goalies really start to close them up if they're going to be in the show soon. Let's just take a snippet as to not speak in generalities...his post set-up, he is married to reverse-VH and that's not my favorite personally, but I can live with that...I love Jonathan Quick and he does it, so I can live with it...but it's not tight, you look at where the shoulder lines up and how the glove is held (and I know, it's a Canadian thing not to have active hands like Finns or Americans usually...but he's got some lazy hands sometimes...get that glove engaged, buddy), there's holes there...and they're repeat holes, they show up all the time...if you're going to commit to this reverse-VH thing when shooters are coming below the dots (as opposed to when you'd rather see it, when plays originate from behind the net and move across the net line), then you have to be sure nothing is going in on that half of the net because the way that his skate sits on the near-side post, he needs a hitch step or hitch and a half just to get himself across the net line. And that's leaving behind his stick discipline too, which is really poor...his stick is mostly just along for the ride...one of the advantages that reverse-VH gives you over VH is stick freedom and flexibility...but he leaves it open, he leaves it behind him, he's just dragging it around...I know stick skills aren't en vogue any more, they skip it at the youth levels and up for whatever reason, that pendulum will swing back one day (maybe after Jake Allen or Ben Bishop win a Stanley Cup) but Hart wouldn't miss a beat if he was playing with a baseball bat...I don't care much for that wanton disregard for a valuable tool.

Then you look at single-lane rush chances and you just watch his backward rotation with the shooter and it's a little uneasy...that inside shoulder doesn't get square enough against faster shooters...now, you can't beat him in junior, I get that...there aren't enough good players that can beat him in that circuit...but there are in the AHL to take advantage of this...Matt Murray, to use a recent major junior grad, struggled with this early on too...backward rotation with the shooter and inside shoulder squareness will prevent a lot of leaky goals, but you also need to make it jive with your post setups eventually too...and he plays these two aspects of his game like he's huge, but he's not...if he was Ben Bishop, ok sure, you're a foot taller than everyone in creation, do whatever you want, just don't give up pucks through your body (like Anders Lindback failed to concur, that's why one of them stayed in the league and one didn't...they started out on the same shaky ground)...it's low-hanging fruit, but it's almost like Brian Elliott, who is really annoying to watch and has been his whole career, he plays like he can get away with all this stuff - not getting square, he gets borderline sideways if there's anyone else on the rink because his rotation is so poor and that's why he gives up just goofball goals at brutal times...when you study goaltenders when you actually need to beat them (in a 7 game series) you dial-in on this stuff and you exploit it...isn't Elliott like the all-time* save pct. king or some nonsense? Yet, in the playoffs, you couldn't hit him with a puck if you tried...? That's not an accident or a coincidence...

Anyway, I'm excited to see Hart live again next week and maybe see a world-class performance out of him (except against the Americans, please), but I have some major concerns about his technique and the holes in it...not for the level that he's currently at, there isn't enough good players to do a damn thing about it, but as he moves up, can someone help him become a lot more tidy in how he goes about his business...hell, even ask Alex Lyon when you get up here, for some tidiness tips...Lyon has the cleanest technique probably among all the Flyers goalie prospects and they have the best stable of them in the league probably...

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Whatever the holes are in his technique his stat lines are quite frankly ridiculous. What is the CHL record because 1.32 and .961 doesnt seem human.

The kid has more shutouts than losses

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is ridiculously good... When watching him live on Everett, you see just how good he is and he weirdly has an intimidating presence on the ice where it just seems like there arent going to be any goals scored on him... Ive watched alot of hockey and i havent seen a goalie like this in a very long time.

Oh and Everetts 16 year old backup Dustin Wolf is going to be extremely special too and will become a top goalie prospect too. He will be a star for USA WJC team in the next year or 2. He is learning from the best having Hart help mentor him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is ridiculously good... When watching him live on Everett, you see just how good he is and he weirdly has an intimidating presence on the ice where it just seems like there arent going to be any goals scored on him... Ive watched alot of hockey and i havent seen a goalie like this in a very long time.

Oh and Everetts 16 year old backup Dustin Wolf is going to be extremely special too and will become a top goalie prospect too. He will be a star for USA WJC team in the next year or 2. He is learning from the best having Hart help mentor him
Pretty sure USA Hockey has insanely high hopes for Spencer Knight who is viewed as a prodigy. So, it will be very tough for Wolf to get the leg up on him to ever get that WJC spot.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Pretty sure USA Hockey has insanely high hopes for Spencer Knight who is viewed as a prodigy. So, it will be very tough for Wolf to get the leg up on him to ever get that WJC spot.

Ya time will tell.. Either way US Hockey has some extremely good goalie prospects coming up!!!

Wolf was touted to be an extremely high draft pick in the WHL draft but told everyone he is playing NCAA so teams passed on him. But then he changed his mind and decided to play alongside Hart. Wolf will be the #1 goalie on Everett next season as a 17 year old. Seems like a good decision by him!!

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

His height worries me a bit but yes he is very very good. So excited about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad