Prospect Info: G Akira Schmid

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Really hoping for Nando if he’s still there in the 6th... was seen as a first round talent not too long ago

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Quick disclaimer: Schmid is at least a tier or two above Senn whom you took last year. Had a great Ivan Hlinka but a disappointing U18 on a brutal Swiss team this year. He will probably be the Swiss WJC goalie next year and is expected to play for Langnau in the NLA.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Akira, Johnson added to the goalie gaggle which includes Blackwood, Applebee's, Cormier, Senn, and maybe Lack. ( Everyone is eligible for the AHL, except the guys from Switzerland )

The Devils have two major issues with goaltending: 1) Schneider 2) Blockaid. :help::sarcasm:
First, Schneider has been abysmal. Moving on to Blockaid. He did super well but he is very much a bend don’t break goalie. Maybe he has another good year; Do you pay out for a 29 year old goalie? Do you trade him at the deadline/draft?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Unless I missed it, I don't think we signed Cormier and his rights expired a few weeks back. Lack is UFA and I don't know if we're going to bring him back.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I wanna name my kid Die Hard 2: Die Harder

Don’t go that route. It always gets the wife angry. I wanted to name our oldest Costanza but she flipped saying people would prejudge him/her (this was before he was born). I explained it was the summer of George but she wouldn’t see reason. We ended up going with something conventional and as a result we are still married.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Unless Blackwood finds his way, we completely lack any high upside goalie prospect, so it makes sense they are taking chances on goalies in the later rounds.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
"...he was the number one goalie on our list and we think he's got a lot of potential to do really well." (Scott Clemmensen, Devils goalie scout and development coach)

Devils 2018 NHL Draftee Scouting Report

The 6-foot-4, 165-pound Swiss native has spent the past five years developing in the Swiss junior leagues and made a name for himself representing his country in international tournaments the past year. First, it was a strong showing at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August, then the World Junior A Challenge in December and then as the third goalie for Team Switzerland at the World Junior Championship two weeks later. He will contend for the starting job for Team Switzerland at this year's WJC in Vancouver and Victoria.

"Just like anyone else in the draft, he's not a finished product, but we see a lot of potential in him and I really liked what I saw," said Scott Clemmensen, Devils goalie scout and development coach. "He's got good tools - good athleticism, a good presence about him in the net, his lateral movements, his hands. He's got a good foundation, needs to get stronger and get more power in his pushes and improve his technique, but he was the number one goalie on our list and we think he's got a lot of potential to do really well."

The Devils anticipate the 18-year-old will come over and play in North America next season, but haven't determined where yet. In previous years, the only option for international goalies to play in North America was in the United States Hockey League, but the Canadian Hockey League (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) has recently lifted its ban on international goalies and many are expected to be selected in their import draft later this week. That doesn't rule out the option of playing in the USHL, but it does provide another opportunity for development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad