Speculation: Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
How many more goals would this team have if Chiasson converted on half of the chances he gets on a regular basis?

I know, growing pains and all that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tired of his constantly flubbing of scoring chances. Very disheartening.

If an offer comes along that nets us an improvement on the blueline, and it involves Chiasson, I hope Nill at least mulls it over.

The last forward who flubbed a ton of scoring chances was Reilly Smith and look where he is now.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
IIRC Reilly's chances were more of the dazzling type where he ends up hitting the crossbar or shoots it just wide; Chiasson's are more in the garbage goal area. What I find most disappointing about Chiasson this season isn't the missed chances at the goal mouth, it's that everybody who watched him in college and in Austin said his game is that of a playmaking winger and I really, really don't see it. I'm not saying he can't get there, but for a guy who doesn't really have any great wheels to speak of he also doesn't appear to have the hands or the vision to make up for that.

I know I'm probably being tough on the guy, being his rookie season and all, oh well.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
IIRC Reilly's chances were more of the dazzling type where he ends up hitting the crossbar or shoots it just wide; Chiasson's are more in the garbage goal area. What I find most disappointing about Chiasson this season isn't the missed chances at the goal mouth, it's that everybody who watched him in college and in Austin said his game is that of a playmaking winger and I really, really don't see it. I'm not saying he can't get there, but for a guy who doesn't really have any great wheels to speak of he also doesn't appear to have the hands or the vision to make up for that.

I know I'm probably being tough on the guy, being his rookie season and all, oh well.

I think his role changing in the NHL has much more to do with Dallas. They've been saying he's a power forward since he got here which just baffles me, and I'm not just talking about the commercial. Ruff talked about him being a great net front guy in the future as well. I think they're trying to pigeon hole him. I always figured him to make the league as a top end two-way winger with a leaning towards playmaking rather than being a bonafide sniper. He was also much more assertive physically in the USHL and BU than I even remember in the AHL and for sure the NHL.

I love the guy, but I get he's 23 and next year it's time to put up or shut up.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
For ***** and giggles I looked up his Hockey Future write up and they compare him to Blake Wheeler and do mention him crashing the net (and the lack of grittiness).

From what I can remember from his time in Texas is that yes he crashed the net at times but it wasn't in what I consider in a power forward way (crash and stay there to clean up rebounds).

I think of his playing style likke that of a hawk, he liked to circle around the perimeter and if the opportunity presented itself he dove towards the net.

I think he's getting pigeon holed because of his early success and the type of linemates he's been playing with. I would love to see how he plays with Seguin and Benn (same sort of set up he had in Texas with Dowling and Hedden).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think he's getting pigeon holed because of his early success and the type of linemates he's been playing with. I would love to see how he plays with Seguin and Benn (same sort of set up he had in Texas with Dowling and Hedden).

He's played with Benn and Seguin a number of times and it's not pretty. He can't skate with them and appears out of sync in the offensive zone with those guys.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Might be a horrible suggestion but the TML fans are amazingly low on Kadri right now. Anyone interested in him still and any idea what a good low ball offer for him would be? Might be a good pick up if toronto is willing to "Neal for Goligoski" him...?

Seguin
Kadri
Eakin

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Might be a horrible suggestion but the TML fans are amazingly low on Kadri right now. Anyone interested in him still and any idea what a good low ball offer for him would be? Might be a good pick up if toronto is willing to "Neal for Goligoski" him...?

Seguin
Kadri
Eakin

Kadri leaves much to be desired in terms of face-off ability and defense, but he'd be a heck of an acquisition and would flourish in Ruff's system. If it didn't cost too much, I'd do it.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Kadri leaves much to be desired in terms of face-off ability and defense, but he'd be a heck of an acquisition and would flourish in Ruff's system. If it didn't cost too much, I'd do it.

The leafs board had an interesting comparison. They said Kadri needs to be insulated like Seguin was and I thought that wasnt a bad point. Maybe if we moved some stuff for Kadri and paired him up with some big bodies like Ritchie and Chiasson, it might actually work. But neither of them are proven either. How fast is Kadri by the way?

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
The leafs board had an interesting comparison. They said Kadri needs to be insulated like Seguin was and I thought that wasnt a bad point. Maybe if we moved some stuff for Kadri and paired him up with some big bodies like Ritchie and Chiasson, it might actually work. But neither of them are proven either. How fast is Kadri by the way?

He'd definitely fit speed and skill wise. However, I think it'd take Chiasson + or Eakin + in order to get him.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Dekeyser was playing at Western Michigan University so I would think (hope) Nill sawhim a few times.

Don't really have that benefit in Dallas though.

Would be nice to snag that Folin kid

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
DeKeyser wanted to go to Detroit. It was a forgone conclusion by most for over a year. I wouldn't really give any credit to anyone on that.

I saw somewhere though that during the lockout, the Detroit front office attended every Michigan home game so you know Nill scouted the NCAA as well as the OHL quite a bit seeing as how they were in his back yard.

Let's look at Nill this way though .... it seems like most of us on here are in our teens to 20's or 30's. We're far from being elite athletes, but with all of our different personalities and life experiences ... we cover many of the same personalities and world views you're going to find among prospects and NHLers.

Nill seems to floor most of us when he speaks. I'm sure he has a similar impact on those guys as well. He's not going to land every single UDFA or UFA he wants, but no one could probably better represent Dallas. Plus, he has some added tools in his arsenal like the lack of state income tax (more important to UFAs).

I like Dallas' chances of attracting quality individuals with Nill making the pitch.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Good points, I think last year during free agency and the coach hunt there was probably a lot of uncertainty on if we could compete soon. I think Dallas will be a more attractive location this offseason.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Dekeyser was playing at Western Michigan University so I would think (hope) Nill sawhim a few times.

Don't really have that benefit in Dallas though.

Would be nice to snag that Folin kid

It really would, has good size, seems to have a knack for getting shots/passes through to the net to create havoc.

Should be an interesting offseason with alot of prospects turning pro this year no idea where they are going to fit everyone in.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Minnesota signs Folin.

I can't say I particularly care about NCAA free agents. They're a decent option for teams with shallower prospect pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad