Speculation: Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I've watched him in the AHL, and it's what you would expect from every other guy making the jump from junior to the pro game. Very few players step into that situation and dominate. He's made progress each month he's been down there to the point he's nowhere near the player he was in October. This past month has been something to watch though for sure.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I agree with you about Richie progression. My sole point was that we want him to jump up and succeed and putting checking responsibilities on his shoulders to start his NHL career is asking a lot of a guy who probably regards himself as a scoring power forward. I think he's someone they should try to shelter a little bit at first to get his confidence up and then starting adding other responsibilities to his game and see how he responds and what he can do at this level.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I agree with you about Richie progression. My sole point was that we want him to jump up and succeed and putting checking responsibilities on his shoulders to start his NHL career is asking a lot of a guy who probably regards himself as a scoring power forward. I think he's someone they should try to shelter a little bit at first to get his confidence up and then starting adding other responsibilities to his game and see how he responds and what he can do at this level.

That's how Brenden Morrow started his career. It's not an uncommon thing. Benn definitely started that way as a 20 year old down the lineup.

It's not a bad option at all to dip your toe into the league that way.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Piqued, I was thinking more physically as Smith never really struck me as very physical, at least from what I remember. Ritchie is more liable to use his body rather than speed or skill to make his chances.

As far as Ritchie's defensive play. The first half of the season it was pretty damn bad, mostly because he as Hull Fan said was cherry picking or just didn't have the speed (both physically and mentally) to come back quickly enough. That being said his defensive play has been great lately.

He might have some stumbles once he's in the NHL with defensive play but I don't think it'll be as bad. But he got over them in the AHL (started slow and such) that I think he'll be fine as a 3rd liner.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Q&A about Christian Folin.

Haven't had an opportunity to read yet.

The issue with all college free agents, especially the top guys, is that they can choose from any team in the league. In the case of a guy like Folin, who is bound to get plenty of NHL offers, he might demand the chance to play in the NHL this year.

Hypothetically, would we be able to send Rome down in order to accommodate? Would that even be a move we'd be interested in making?

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Hypothetically, would we be able to send Rome down in order to accommodate? Would that even be a move we'd be interested in making?

I would hope that Nill would send Rome down for Folin.

From all I've seen, he looks like he could be a decent defenseman. He's has an NHL ready body, big right handed shot that would help our PP. I really hope Nill could use playing time as a drawing factor to get him to come here.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
That's how Brenden Morrow started his career. It's not an uncommon thing. Benn definitely started that way as a 20 year old down the lineup.

It's not a bad option at all to dip your toe into the league that way.

Also Nichuskin this year.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I was shocked when I saw that Seguin only had 22 points his rookie year. Val is going to be just fine.

aloonda*

Also Nichuskin this year.

rune, do you think lindy has handled nuke well this season? at times I get frustrated by seeing him moved off the first line, but then when I calm down about it some and think about what ruff is doing (what he says he is doing) it makes sense--the big deal is does nuke also trust and believe in what lindy is telling him?

MetalGodAOD*

rune, do you think lindy has handled nuke well this season? at times I get frustrated by seeing him moved off the first line, but then when I calm down about it some and think about what ruff is doing (what he says he is doing) it makes sense--the big deal is does nuke also trust and believe in what lindy is telling him?

Razor mentioned he moves Nuke to the 4th line to rest him when he has no energy. I'm ok with it.

aloonda*

Razor mentioned he moves Nuke to the 4th line to rest him when he has no energy. I'm ok with it.

what i was referencing, if nuke is buying in and learning from it, I am all for how lindy has handled this kid

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
I wouldn't say he's been handled badly. Ruff gave him limited minutes at first for him to learn and get used to North America and eventually was moved up to the top line.

The few scratches he had were only for one game (told to study a player, or rest), and he played in the very next game.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Do any of you guys follow the OHL enough to know about Steven Trojanovic? Plays for Guelph this season, has good size (6'2"/200lbs), right-handed and described as good skating, puck moving dman.

Not eligible for the draft anymore (I think). He has been putting up good numbers lately, more or less about the team. Maybe a similar project player as Dillon was...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Do any of you guys follow the OHL enough to know about Steven Trojanovic? Plays for Guelph this season, has good size (6'2"/200lbs), right-handed and described as good skating, puck moving dman.

Not eligible for the draft anymore (I think). He has been putting up good numbers lately, more or less about the team. Maybe a similar project player as Dillon was...

He turned 18 in the Fall of 2011 which means he was first draft eligible in 2012. You have to be passed in 3 drafts before you are no longer eligible to be drafted so he should therefore be a 2014 draft eligible prospect.

Where I'm not 100% sure because it's CHL not NHL rules. I believe this was his overage year. A normal prospect with a Fall birthday would have been eligible and likely playing in the AHL. A guy with a Spring/Summer b-day in the 2012 draft would not be in the overage year until next year. So yeah I'm not sure how overage years work for Fall/winter births. The Dallas F/W births I can think of all went pro ASAP after starting their soon to be 20 year old season (Turn 20 by Dec. 31 of that year).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I assume the biggest adjustment is just how damn long the regular season is compared to what European players are used to play over here. He should be just fine.
For sure, and his season has been especially long with both the Traverse City Tournament and the Olympics. With all of that extra work, he's already doubled the number of games he's ever played in more of a pro setting.

His game started slow and uneven but was flying high leading up to getting picked for the Olympic team. Since the Olympics he's been pretty bad. He shouldn't really be in the NHL. He should be in juniors or the AHL getting up to speed with the North American game, so I won't use this season to pass judgment on him.

cmwang

Nov 4, 2011
For sure, and his season has been especially long with both the Traverse City Tournament and the Olympics. With all of that extra work, he's already doubled the number of games he's ever played in more of a pro setting.

His game started slow and uneven but was flying high leading up to getting picked for the Olympic team. Since the Olympics he's been pretty bad. He shouldn't really be in the NHL. He should be in juniors or the AHL getting up to speed with the North American game, so I won't use this season to pass judgment on him.

With 30 points and +15, I think he's fine in the NHL. Definitely still learning but its not like he has been a liability most nights.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Went on Behind the Net for some advanced stats and pulled out some guys that I'd like for free agency (cross referenced using Capgeek) based on Corsi and other advanced stats on there. Really recommend it as a resource, it really helps figure out who's helping drive play (hint- Goligoski drives play), and is kind of fun to see who the real possession players are in the league (Kopitar is god).

C- Stastny (of course)
C- Grabovski
LW-Cammalleri (Whitney replacement? running a 2.13 Corsi on less than 50% of offensive zone starts)
D- Fayne
D- Stralman (13.22 Corsi On, this could be seen as a steal at the right price)

That's just scratching the surface. I'll be sure to post more gems as I find them

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
A 2nd line of cammalleri statsny chiasson sounds like it could be dangerous albeit unlikely

Haven't watched stralman play, but we sure need some upgrades on the back end

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How many more goals would this team have if Chiasson converted on half of the chances he gets on a regular basis?

I know, growing pains and all that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tired of his constantly flubbing of scoring chances. Very disheartening.

If an offer comes along that nets us an improvement on the blueline, and it involves Chiasson, I hope Nill at least mulls it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad