Speculation: Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Yeah that wasn't the article with Julien saying that he wasn't their type. That just had a lot of stuff about how he doesn't fit into the roster. Much like Seguin, tho Segs did play wing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To further support HullFan's desire to go the AHL route, Heika seems more informed than normal, and he's frequently suggested that Nill will use the AHL, his bread and butter, to mine talent and improve the team.

To add further speculation ... Like Seguin, Spooner spent some time in his OHL career close to Detroit. His final team, Sarnia, was only an hour drive away. I'd imagine Nill is fairly familiar with the guys career in the OHL.

He's only got a year left on his ELC, but I think even if he scored 40 - 60 points next year, wherever he plays, he'd only get a 2 year deal in the $2 to $3.5 range. 3 years of one of your Top 3 centers making that type of money would be huge. You could easily afford to spend on a complimentary scoring winger. As much as I want to see Ritchie right away, I think Farkas is correct that another year in the AHL could be huge for him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not saying that. The first post was basically a joke, and I fully agree with everything you are saying.

Sorry that flew over my head ... lol.

Look at Boston too though. Part of the Seguin trade was the cap as well. Now the cap has them potentially shopping Eriksson. The Rags abuse the cap yearly.

Dallas scouting department was damn good ... now with Nill and his Detroit implants ... it's somehow even better. I'd just hate to see all that hard work walk away for scraps like Chicago did with guys like Ladd and Byfuglien.

I have zero use for how the Rags do business though.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As much as I want to see Ritchie right away, I think Farkas is correct that another year in the AHL could be huge for him.

I'm excited about Ritchie but I'm also of the opinion that we shouldn't pencil him into the lineup next season. Go back down, show that what you picked up in the second half of the season is the real deal, and be ready for an injury call-up. My guess is Nill will only let him stay if he has a Jamie Benn rookie season type of training camp. Otherwise he probably goes the Nyguist/Tatar/Jurco route.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Better off, but I'd still do Spooner for Chiasson if it came down to it.

I see a reasonable argument can be made for it. I just don't like it. I really like Chiasson, but like I said, I see there's a realistic reason to make the trade. You have the RW depth to pursue a center, and as long as it's a guy that's similar age and upside, it should be a reasonable trade.

Still ....

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Sorry that flew over my head ... lol.

Look at Boston too though. Part of the Seguin trade was the cap as well. Now the cap has them potentially shopping Eriksson. The Rags abuse the cap yearly.

Dallas scouting department was damn good ... now with Nill and his Detroit implants ... it's somehow even better. I'd just hate to see all that hard work walk away for scraps like Chicago did with guys like Ladd and Byfuglien.

I have zero use for how the Rags do business though.

Chicago did a helluva job with fixing their problem and winning another Cup, albeit three years later when they could have probably gotten back to the Finals in the next season.

If Boston is for real about to move Eriksson, then it makes the Seguin deal look way worse for them.

Also on Spooner for Chiasson, I'd probably do it. You are getting a C for a W and a player that enters the NHL at a younger age than the one you are dealing.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I see a reasonable argument can be made for it. I just don't like it. I really like Chiasson, but like I said, I see there's a realistic reason to make the trade. You have the RW depth to pursue a center, and as long as it's a guy that's similar age and upside, it should be a reasonable trade.

Still ....

Yeah earlier that was the quote I was talking about. It's not that Spooner isn't a really good hockey player but he's not really a winger and doesn't play that game just like Seguin didn't. Koko on the other hand has played both winger and center and is a more of a shoot first type of guy rather than a playmaker. Boston certainly has room for one of them but I'm not sure both and if Spooner is at winger he's not nearly as effective. So it's kind of a Seguin 2.0 scenario though without the huge cap hit implications.

As for price, I'm not nearly as big a fan of Chiasson as you are. I think he's a good NHLer who may not be best suited to the skating style of play Dallas prefers. If I had to choose I'd keep Ritchie but I'm not sure how you acquire Spooner without giving up a good young player unless you dangle the 1st which I imagine Nill would be reluctant to do. Sceviour, McKenzie, Guptill, etc probably aren't enough. I doubt Nill wants to move Dickinson and Shore even if he does acquire another center.

Boston and Dallas match up well and could help each other out again. Boston wanted Chiasson and I'm sure Dallas wanted Spooner in the original deal but now maybe a year later both teams might be willing to pull the trigger.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Yeah earlier that was the quote I was talking about. It's not that Spooner isn't a really good hockey player but he's not really a winger and doesn't play that game just like Seguin didn't. Koko on the other hand has played both winger and center and is a more of a shoot first type of guy rather than a playmaker. Boston certainly has room for one of them but I'm not sure both and if Spooner is at winger he's not nearly as effective. So it's kind of a Seguin 2.0 scenario though without the huge cap hit implications.

Except Boston has been trying to move Koko for a few years now. Management there clearly values him a lot less, Julien's comments on Spooner notwithstanding.

Boston wanted Chiasson and I'm sure Dallas wanted Spooner in the original deal but now maybe a year later both teams might be willing to pull the trigger.

Why would Dallas have wanted Spooner then? Seguin would have been the #1 target to get. If you mean instead of Pevs, sure, I guess I could accept that. But if you are saying they originally wanted Spooner instead of Seguin you are nuts.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
No I'm saying Dallas should have wanted both. We needed more than one center. Which is why Horcoff was brought in. Spooner was their best prospect and they didn't want to trade him. Dallas I'm sure wanted him.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'd definitely do Chiasson for Spooner. Spooner is a fit with his skating and think he can be a good playmaking second liner. I'm one of those that isn't as high on Chiasson as some. Seems like the kind of deal that could actually happen.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Spooner is a good fit scheme wise. I just don't want to wait 2-3 years for him to reach his potential. For my 2C I want a vet guy who is already an established producer. Maybe it's just personal preference, idk, but I'm tired of us sticking guys in there that miiiight put up good numbers (see Eakin, Roy last year).

With Washington getting a new GM and potentially blowing it all up, anybody you'd like to see from them in a Stars uni? There's Backstrom obviously, but that would cost $Texas

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Article on Richards and other NHLers' offseason workout program:

After the 2012-13 season, St. Louis recruited Richards, his former Lightning teammate, who had struggled with 11 goals in 46 games. The gym’s owner, Ben Prentiss, said Richards was as eager a player as he had seen since the former Devils forward Jason Arnott, his first N.H.L. client.

Richards also altered his diet, eliminating wheat-based foods and adding exotic meats like ostrich and yak. Breakfast on a training day could be a grass-fed-bison burger without bread, avocados — for the healthful fat — and fresh berries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/sports/hockey/keeping-up-on-ice-begins-in-sweltering-heat.html

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Breakfast on a training day could be a grass-fed-bison burger without bread, avocados — for the healthful fat — and fresh berries.

Why not just eat a bison steak if you're cutting the bun out of the equation?

MetalGodAOD*

Richards in lockout year was a joke. He was so obviously out of shape. Meanwhile on Insta and Twitter he only posted about his wine fundraisers and foundations. Was a fun year for Rangers fans watching him.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Don't remember if I have mentioned him here or only at the main boards, but Michael Keränen (EP link) is someone I'd like the Stars to take a look at. Very skilled late bloomer with a great shot and plays hard. Made THN's "best unknowns" -list

Article here
MICHAEL KERANEN, RW, ILVES (FIN.)
The 24-year-old is a late bloomer who has a great shot and loves to use it. The only point-per-game regular in the Finnish League, a.k.a. the SM-Liiga, Keranen posted 17 goals and 52 points in 52 games. He was Ilves’ MVP and has parlayed that success into an invite for Finland’s World Championship team. A speedy and flashy player who puts defensemen on their heels and can dish the puck deftly, Keranen is also responsible defensively. At 6-foot-1 and 176 pounds, he has an NHL frame, though a few more pounds would serve him well.
(can play center too)

Think of a bit smaller Henrik Sedin, but with huge slapper and better skating. He finished second in points in FEL. Or actually tied for the lead, but finished second because he scored less goals. Also played seven less games than the leading scorer. Was voted as FEL's MVP for this season.
Awesome low risk- high reward guy to the second line.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas has drafted two Ilves players recently in Jyrki Jokipakka and Aleki Makela. You know the scouts have seen the guy.

Since it seems he's primarily a winger that prefers RW, he may not have a spot among Nichushkin, Chiasson, Sceviour, and Garbutt, unless one of them gets moved. That said, Detroit and even Dallas in the past heavily pursued Finnish and Swedish undrafted talent. The year Dallas landed Brunnstrom, Detroit signed Finnish star Leino.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Blues fans seems to want to move Shattenkirk, just throwing it out there.

If they're looking for a forward, he's a no brainer to throw Chiasson in the mix.

I don't know why they'd want to move him though.

Brand New Stars

Get rid of Kari. Dead serious. No overreaction. You can't have confidence in the guy when it matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad