Future Markets Discussion

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
Now that Jacksonville and Worcester are coming for the 2017-18 season, becoming the 28th and 29th team, any other cities interested in taking the last spot (or maybe 2 last spots) ?

Elmira could be moving to North East like Albany/Portland.

Im an OKC Hopeful, but it does not sound good. With the right ownership/management team, I think Memphis could upgrade to the ECHL from the Sunshine League.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I believe they also had issues getting an ownership group to back bringing a team there.

That's the issue in OKC. There are two arenas with ice - the former Myriad (Cox Convention Center) & the new Thunder arena. There's also an older rink in the suburbs. But the owners of the Thunder also own/control the ex-Myriad, and they seem to have no intention on putting hockey there and competing with the Thunder and the D-League team that plays there. Therefore, a team would be stuck with bad dates/lease, et al.

That's the "no viable place to play." There are places to play, but none are viable and available.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I could see a joint effort between Ottawa/Montreal and have the team in Laval.

If the Habs wanted another franchise in Laval, they'd buy a QMJHL franchise long before they'd bring in an ECHL franchise.

See, e.g., what the Oilers have done in Edmonton and the Flames in Calgary.

Canadians are more interested in Major Junior than Minor Pro, and the team costs for Major Junior are substantially lower given that players aren't paid and travel is much more limited.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If the Habs wanted another franchise in Laval, they'd buy a QMJHL franchise long before they'd bring in an ECHL franchise.

See, e.g., what the Oilers have done in Edmonton and the Flames in Calgary.

Canadians are more interested in Major Junior than Minor Pro, and the team costs for Major Junior are substantially lower given that players aren't paid and travel is much more limited.

With how bad Brampton is supported might make some sense to move the team to Laval just to be there for call ups etc as for travel is much more limited in the Chl not really.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
With how bad Brampton is supported might make some sense to move the team to Laval just to be there for call ups etc as for travel is much more limited in the Chl not really.

uh, difference is the Canadiens don't own an ECHL club, jason, Laval has been on the drawing board since Andlauer divested his stake in the Canadiens, and ran the Bulldogs, that's why the Canadiens were allowed to come to St. John's when TNSE returned the Moose to MTS Centre, alongside the parent Jets...

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Brampton are 'well' supported.

They are having their best attendance numbers in their history for the last 2 years.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Take a long look at the QMJHL Team Map versus the ECHL Team Map. The nearest ECHL team would be Glens Falls at 3.5 hours drive (plus an international border to cross). There are SEVEN QMJHL franchises within a 3.5 hour drive of Laval (Gatineau, Blainville, Sherbrooke, Drummondville, Shawinigan, Victoriaville, Quebec). The furthest ECHL team in their own division (Wheeling) would be 12 hour drive + international border. The travel is not even comparable.

The ECHL is not going to Montreal.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Take a long look at the QMJHL Team Map versus the ECHL Team Map. The nearest ECHL team would be Glens Falls at 3.5 hours drive (plus an international border to cross). There are SEVEN QMJHL franchises within a 3.5 hour drive of Laval (Gatineau, Blainville, Sherbrooke, Drummondville, Shawinigan, Victoriaville, Quebec). The furthest ECHL team in their own division (Wheeling) would be 12 hour drive + international border. The travel is not even comparable.

The ECHL is not going to Montreal.
I agree the ECHL is not going to Montreal/Laval, but if you take a look at the ECHL map, Brampton is 4.5 hours from Elmira, with an international border crossing, and even further to the rest of their division. Alaska flies to every other city, and I would bet Idaho probably flies a lot too. Distance to other teams alone doesn't prevent a team from succeeding in the ECHL.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I agree the ECHL is not going to Montreal/Laval, but if you take a look at the ECHL map, Brampton is 4.5 hours from Elmira, with an international border crossing, and even further to the rest of their division. Alaska flies to every other city, and I would bet Idaho probably flies a lot too. Distance to other teams alone doesn't prevent a team from succeeding in the ECHL.

My point was not that teams can't succeed when isolated from the rest of the league, but rather that it would make much more sense for the Habs to pursue a QMJHL team, with lower travel distances (and, therefore, costs) being one non-trivial factor.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
My point was not that teams can't succeed when isolated from the rest of the league, but rather that it would make much more sense for the Habs to pursue a QMJHL team, with lower travel distances (and, therefore, costs) being one non-trivial factor.

But you have to remember the qjmhl has a age limit they couldnt develop players the same way a echl team could. but I really dont think we will see canadian echl teams for awhile.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I'm just waiting for the nhl to up the pressure about moving NHL affilates closer to the parent franchises .i know they are already getting on the ahl about it . its only a matter of time. Before they get on the E. I wouldn't be supprised to see nhl teams looking for the perfect setup like Philly, Lehigh and Reading have .

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I might do an update AHL-ECHL map after seeing Albany move to Binghamton. I just love expansion ideas.

You may like expansion ideas, but I don't think Albany is going to be one of them.......Several games a year with few people in the seats.....

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
You may like expansion ideas, but I don't think Albany is going to be one of them.......Several games a year with few people in the seats.....

Nobody is going to games in Albany when every Saturday game is at 5pm. They dont advertise, the Devils dont reach out to do group sales, games are rarely ever broadcast on radio. If you want to know when a Devils game is scheduled you have to go to website. Local Albany news doesnt cover the Devils barely and nevet ECHL in Glens Falls. Poor way to run a hockey team.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Billings Montana s a pro hockey market.

Billings Montana

Booming town

Could they support a potential Canucks ECHL Team?

Did quite well with the bighorns in the early 80's

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My mom just moved up there a year or so ago. I'd love to have another excuse to go visit. Checking out the Knights prospects might just be the additional excuse I need. :laugh:

Does Rimrock Auto Arena have icemaking stuff? I know it got damaged by a tornado or something a few years ago and pretty much rebuilt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad