Tennis: French Open 2023

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Interesting factoids: Although Ruud has won nine tournaments, eight of them on clay, he has never won a tournament above the 250 level. Not just no Slams and no 1000s, no 500s either.

Although he has made the Grand Slam finals two previous times, his victory earlier in this tournament over Rune marked his first win ever over a Top Ten player in a major.

Doesn't bode well for Sunday, especially with Nole going for his 23rd Slam.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iga very quickly up 3-love. This is embarrassingly one-sided at the moment.

Muchova's play improves dramatically, but it has absolutely no effect on the scoreboard, 6-2.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a comeback from love-3 in the second set. Muchova has all the momentum now, and a net game that is really clicking.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iga raises her game, breaks back, and takes a 3-2 lead on serve.

Muchova breaks for 4-3. A big question here is can she hold her nerve. (Later: nope)

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Muchova is so much more relaxed returning serve than holding serve.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ruud, standing a mile behind the baseline on first serve, forces a five deuce, 12 minute game on Nole and breaks him eventually 2-love. What a great start for Caspar.

Nole breaks back on a forced error, 3-4. That game Caspar, for the first time, looked like he had doubts, not a good sign at all.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
About as poor a start as I’ve seen from Novak ever. Yikes.
Not to worry, I don't know if I have got this exactly right, but the other day there was a graphic showing that when Nole loses the first set in a GS, he is something like 13-3. Besides, he just broke back.

Mental toughness may end up being the big issue in this match. Huge advantage Nole.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
How often has Nole ever looked off-balance? He just fell hard, not the first time he has looked awkward today. Nasty little X factor if he is nursing a leg injury.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
More serve and volley, please.

If Nole can get the set to a breaker, that's been an automatic win for him at Roland Garros where he is 5-0 this year.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Well gee, that (the tie-break) was surprising; Ruud doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell anymore (not that I gave him any chance to begin with). Yes, the momentum can change and blah blah blah.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
7-1 with no unforced errors, as usual. Breakers are like freebies to Nole. That should calm his nerves, if that was the problem earlier which it might have been.

And poor Caspar. Did almost everything right--had a brief Kevin Anderson moment at a crucial juncture--and comes out of the ordeal a set down. How does he recover from that?

Reactions: Filppula

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So why isn't wifey in the box for his potential 23rd GS title and, instead, some gorgeous-looking super model is? Huh, huh, huh?

Upon closer observation, it looks like the gorgeous super model is his wife. Great outfit.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Djokovic isn't going to stop winning majors until he retires. He's still far above everybody else, sadly. Wimbledon is a foregone conclusion already, sadly. Not good for the sport IMO.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One set away for Djokovic, and it sure doesn't look like Caspar could plot a comeback of this magnitude. Expecting a 6-2 type set here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad