Tennis: French Open 2023

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Apparently the audience were fine with that.

Yeah, he just can't stop being a cnut. :shakehead
Missed this exchange the first time around. If Nole has political ambitions, and of the Big Three he is the only one who I think might, then I don't see how this quote hurts him. People in Western Europe and North America may think he is being a cnut again, but I would guess the quote plays just fine in Belgrade. He is a Serb echoing the thoughts of many of his countrymen and countrywomen. I disagree with him, but I understand why he would make such a statement.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Women's semis:

I assume everyone in the world is going with Swiatek and Sabalenka to defeat Haddad Maia and Muchova respectively. An upset in either case would be among the greatest in tennis history.

Men's semis:

Picked Carlos to win at the beginning of the tournament, and I'm sticking with this, but, damn, this looks an absolute toss-up on paper in the here and now. I'm very reluctant to pick against Djokovic, Nole being Nole. If the courts were faster and the balls less likely to fuzz up, I might have switched my pick here. But I just don't see Djokovic consistently getting the ball past Carlos, and that means Carlos will have lots of opportunities with his vast arsenal of weapons to swing points his way.

I'm picking Ruud over Zverev. Zverev has looked great at Roland Garros. But late in Grand Slams is where he has often faltered, nerves playing a pronounced role. Ruud's composure and quality of execution was impressive in how he recovered control of his match with Rune in the fourth set today. He just seems the cooler, calmer cucumber. Plus, a lot of Sascha's tendencies play directly into Ruud's strengths off the ground.

Wouldn't be surprised if I get both these men's matches wrong.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bianca lost her mixed doubles final with Michael Venus in 3 sets. I'm actually happy with this because Miyu Kato was screwed over in the women's doubles match a couple of days ago. She should never have been defaulted.

• Love
Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What a match! Muchova was down 2-5 and with a bit of vintage Sabalenka choking and grit from Muchova, she comes back and wins 7-5 in the third!

Reactions: QueerGirrl

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You don't get thesee "nervous Nellies" match-ups in women's tennis much any more, certainly with nothing like the frequency we did a few years ago. But we had one today with both women experiencing the yips, especially Sabalenka. Muchova ran out to a 7-6, 2-0 lead, but then was broken twice, and Sabalenka eventually served for the set but was herself broken again. Nonetheless she took the breaker ove a tight Muchova. In the deciding set Sabalenka again served for the set (and match), but choked and Muchova who had been playing anxiously herself throughout the set managed to serve it out 7-5.

Horrendous loss for Sabalenka who seemed lately to more or less have conquered her demons. However, a career-defining moment for Muchova who now becomes a sacrificial lamb for Iga.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Wow, incredible upset there. I don't like Sabalenka but was looking forward to a matchup of her and Iga. Iga is obviously the heavy heavy favorite to win it all now but I wouldn't count Muchova out. Yes Aryna choked but Muchova played some incredible tennis too.

Can't wait for Carlos-Novak tomorrow, hoping the kid takes it and wins his first FO

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
With all due respect to the other mens' players, and the ladies, Djokovic-Alcaraz is the only match that REALLY matters in terms of drama and as a real transition match for the sport. There's been a void in rivalries and big storylines since Nadal went down and Serena retired so this match tomorrow gets those juices flowing again.

My heart says Alcaraz takes down the old warrior but my head tells me that Djokovic will take this as his first true challenge since Nadal at the French and will beat the young transcendent talent with the mental game. I'm utterly fascinated to see how it plays out.
It gives me Djokovic vs. Federer at the 2009 U.S. Open vibes although Alcaraz is further along than Djokovic was then and Djokovic much older than Federer was but just in the sense that Federer had that mental hold over Djokovic still and wasn't quite ready to give up the crown. I see that happening here as well.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Props to Haddad Maia for giving Iga a run for her money in the second set. That missed wide open volley at 5-3 in the breaker will likely haunt the Brazilian forever.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Any reasonable expectation of Nole winning this match must start with him winning the first set, and now he has, 6-3. But it was a near thing. I don't know if he is going to be able to keep up with this kid for an entire match.

2nd set: on serve 4-3 but Nole calls a medical time out to look after his forearm/elbow.

Carlos puts tremendous pressure on Nole and gets the break for 5-3. Felt like the big freight train was now truly on the move and but Nole with signifcant help from Carlos broke right back for 5-4. How costly could this be?

Nole goes down love-40 on serve but fights back, 5-all.

Alcaraz's turn for a miraculous hold. The tennis has gone from the superb to the sublime. 6-5. If Nole holds, breakers are his comfort zone (5-0 this tournament with alledgedly no unforced errors in any of them) so Carlos could really use a break here.

...and he gets it; Carlitos breaks at love. Now a set apiece.

3rd set: What a turn of events. Carlos who has been making miraculous gets all over the place cramps badly at 1-1 and has to concede the game to get medical attention, 2-1 and a lucky break for Nole (though Nole has really tested Carlos' fitness so far).

Quickly 6-1 Nole and now it is a question of how much Carlos can recover with the time between sets.

5th set: 4-love Nole as Carlos fails to recover sufficiently to be competitive. What a shame. It ends 6-1 and Nole has a chance to win his 23rd Grand Slam title.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Alcaraz's lack of experience costing him here? Djokovic has played this kind of match so many times, he knows exactly how to prepare and deal with the conditions.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Alcaraz doesn't appear ready for this, which was my fear. Still plenty of tennis left but the inexperience is really showing in this match and this is against Djokovic who isn't at his best physically.

And Alcaraz is injured. Injuries already starting to pile up for this young man, would be a massive shame if this becomes a trend with him.

Last edited:

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm a Gauff fan. She may win multiple slams. She was anointed so young though that it was an assumption and presumptuous. There are many great women players.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty stark contrast: which shot will take the day? Sascha's backhand or Ruud's forehand? 2-1 at the moment with each breaking the other's serve.

Reactions: Elvis P

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Man vs boy. Too bad about Alcaraz's physical problems, but he was being constantly outsmarted before that too. Djokovic all 4 Grand Slams this year, can't see anyone stopping him (Lord knows I'd be very happy to be wrong!)

As for the women's final, I don't see Muchova having any chance really — I think Sabalenka-Swiatek would have been a better match — but... surprise me now.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Real bummer for tennis fans that Carlos cramped up, that match was great the first 2 sets and at full health on each side would've been an epic 5 setter. But that's sports... joker massive favorite now but I could see Zverev getting a surprise upset if he advances. Can't see Ruud winning it.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Real bummer for tennis fans that Carlos cramped up, that match was great the first 2 sets and at full health on each side would've been an epic 5 setter. But that's sports... joker massive favorite now but I could see Zverev getting a surprise upset if he advances. Can't see Ruud winning it.

I mean, yeah, but Carlos has years to grab his dozen majors, so I'm not sad Nole's going to the final. I agree that Rudd is a better matchup for him than Zverev is right now But...they still gotta play the match!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ruud making very easy work of Zverev.

Ruud got steamrolled by Nadal in the final last year...probably be closer against Djokovic but very likely the same result.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This French Open has turned out to be a big dud but the French Open is usually the least interesting slam anyway so... c'est la vie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad