Tennis: French Open/2020

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
On the men's side, four seeds out on the first day: Goffin, Coric, De Minaur, and Evans.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
On the men's side, four seeds out on the first day: Goffin, Coric, De Minaur, and Evans.

Interesting that among the seeds out are three of the least powerful baseliners in the game (Goffin, Coric, De Minaur). Seems the slow, humid conditions favour those with an aptitude for bludgeoning, penetrating groundstrokes on both wings (a la Wawrinka who won really handily today).

Reactions: kihei

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Goffin and deMinaur were in the same bracket too. That bottom two sections it’s gonna be Zverev/Rafa barring a miracle. Tomorrow I’m thinking one of Busta Monfils or Med are upset. All of them are only marginal favorites. I think in Monfils case it’s because he hasn’t played much at all and didn’t look good in the matches he DID play. The other two drew sneaky tough players who could upset them. Berrettini has no easy match Tuesday either

Reactions: kihei

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Interesting that among the seeds out are three of the least powerful baseliners in the game (Goffin, Coric, De Minaur). Seems the slow, humid conditions favour those with an aptitude for bludgeoning, penetrating groundstrokes on both wings (a la Wawrinka who won really handily today).

Often times the least powerful players do well here but I’m guessing under these conditions they won’t. The smaller guys who don’t have big serves or overpower RG is often their chance to do damage, sort of same with the ladies

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Conqueror of Venus, Schmiedlova's game is almost creepy.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just turned the TV on to see that Felix is down 2 sets to 0 vs Nishioka

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just turned the TV on to see that Felix is down 2 sets to 0 vs Nishioka

Yeah, not looking good in the 3rd either.

Diez also playing right now in his first ever GS MD match. He has a good shot to win too.

Fernandez will play later today.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Not able to watch this morning, but what happened to that 17 year old Felix that was winning Challengers on clay. It always looked like he would do well on this surface.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not able to watch this morning, but what happened to that 17 year old Felix that was winning Challengers on clay. It always looked like he would do well on this surface.

He's definitely having a bad stretch.

All the physical tools are there but he needs better tactics on the court. He can't just hit through players, especially in the conditions today.

Similar to Denis really, where he has changed his in-match approach.

Reactions: kihei and discostu

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix has to start using the whole court instead of hitting down the centre.

Diaz lost the second after winning the first. The lens on the main camera needs to be cleaned. I know it's a fixed camera but someone should be paying attention

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Spoke too soon. Serena won the first set 7-6 and is sailing through the second set 5-love.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's definitely having a bad stretch.

All the physical tools are there but he needs better tactics on the court. He can't just hit through players, especially in the conditions today.

Similar to Denis really, where he has changed his in-match approach.

I watched the Fritz match yesterday and it was the same story. He was trying to hit his opponent off the court and that is very difficult in these conditions with the ball they are using. Fritz pulled his match out in five but it was a huge slog. Ugly tennis.

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Diez is the very definition of the old term "tennis bum." In all his years of toil in the upper hundreds, this is his first appearance in a GS main draw.

12 years on the tour, $600,000 in total earnings, singles and doubles combined.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Hard fought match for Diez but couldn't get it done.

But good for him to get through qualifying and get that MD paycheck.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bublik takes the first set over Gael rather laconically. He has the game to do well on this particular surface--whether he is wired tight enough to take advantage is anybody's guess at the moment.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another way too insouciant set from Alexander but Monfil's costly double faults do him in , 6-4, 7-5.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The oddsmakers saw that one coming. Monfils was only a marginal favorite in that match

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Under a purple Paris sky Bublik takes the fourth and deciding set against a listless Monfils, 6-3.

Well, I could use a new Gulbis, and Bublik certainly fits the bill nicely.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another interesting one. Medvedev on by far his worst surface versus Fucsovics on his best surface.

Wow. Daniil has never gotten past the opening round at Roland Garros in three tries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad