Pre-Game Talk: "Free Slepyshev" Isles@Oilers | March 7 @ 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Slepy will not hurt you defensively and his ES points/60 is almost double Caggiula's. I like Cags but he needs time in the AHL since his game is mostly sizzle and not steak right now.

Also from Woodguy this AM.... CGY has a 1070 PDO (11.22 SH% .9573 SV%) over the last 9 games with 4 won in overtime......unsustainable and they will come down to earth. Then there is the little matter of their last 9 games being: LAK, WAS, NAS, STL, COL, LAK, SJS, ANA, ANA, LAK, SJS. I predict they fade badly down the stretch with this schedule as PDO normalizes and they miss the playoffs by a hair........hee hee.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Slepyshev or Caggiula is probably going to be sent to the AHL when Pouliot is activated. Personally, I'd send down Caggiula. Slepyshev is what he is at the NHL level. Caggiula should have some more finish and might benefit from a few AHL games. Why would sending Caggiula to the AHL require "spin"? We traded for Desharnais and Drake's a rookie who isn't finishing his opportunities. Benning saw time in the AHL too, and he's a much more polished player than Caggiula.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Would be great to be 4 points up on the Flames with even games played.

They should be coming down to earth here soon now that they start to play tougher teams.

One would hope, the way they're going right now they're going to end up challenging for the division, never mind a wild card spot.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Slepyshev or Caggiula is probably going to be sent to the AHL when Pouliot is activated. Personally, I'd send down Caggiula. Slepyshev is what he is at the NHL level. Caggiula should have some more finish and might benefit from a few AHL games. Why would sending Caggiula to the AHL require "spin"? We traded for Desharnais and Drake's a rookie who isn't finishing his opportunities. Benning saw time in the AHL too, and he's a much more polished player than Caggiula.

I'd give him one of two more games just because he did have chemistry with DD, despite his inability to finish his chances.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think Cagguila could use some AHL time as well. I just dont see them sending him down. Coaching staff seems to really like him. Slepshev will prob get sent down when Pouillot comes back.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Slepy will not hurt you defensively and his ES points/60 is almost double Caggiula's. I like Cags but he needs time in the AHL since his game is mostly sizzle and not steak right now.

Also from Woodguy this AM.... CGY has a 1070 PDO (11.22 SH% .9573 SV%) over the last 9 games with 4 won in overtime......unsustainable and they will come down to earth. Then there is the little matter of their last 9 games being: LAK, WAS, NAS, STL, COL, LAK, SJS, ANA, ANA, LAK, SJS. I predict they fade badly down the stretch with this schedule as PDO normalizes and they miss the playoffs by a hair........hee hee.

Likely, but with only 16 games to go, many teams have put on great PDO runs of 20+ games (including the Flames all of 2014-15), so I wouldn't discount the Flames just yet.

Simply put, Edmonton needs to take care of themselves rather than worrying about others.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'd guess Khaira will be the guy going down once Pouliot is healthy since he's the guy they sent down as a paper transaction before the trade deadline.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'd give him one of two more games just because he did have chemistry with DD, despite his inability to finish his chances.

Certainly. They probably need to reward a good game played by that line with at least another game together. But with players like Pouliot, Slepyshev, and Pakarinen in the press box, I don't think the leash should be very long for guys like Hendricks, Caggs or even Khaira.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I'd guess Khaira will be the guy going down once Pouliot is healthy since he's the guy they sent down as a paper transaction before the trade deadline.

That might be even more of a reason to send down Cagguila. Khaira they can send down for AHL playoffs (if the Condors make it) and Khaira would get in some meaningful games.

Main point is that Caggiula is an NHL rookie and there's no shame/harm in sending him down for a couple/few weeks to get in some more games. I think he's going to be hard pressed to play regularly once Pouliot is back healthy. Pakarainen, Hendricks and Khaira all seem like more logical 4th liners to me.

Caggiula has had pretty pedestrian production for an offensive player. 4-6-10 in 46 games isn't good. Don't get me wrong, Pouliot has to step it up too. But them's the breaks when one guy is earning 4 mill. He has a longer rope.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I have a bit of a worry re these college guys signing here and what our front office tells them to get the signing. If they essentially promised Caggulia the big team then the better player might get sent down.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
That might be even more of a reason to send down Cagguila. Khaira they can send down for AHL playoffs (if the Condors make it) and Khaira would get in some meaningful games.

Main point is that Caggiula is an NHL rookie and there's no shame/harm in sending him down for a couple/few weeks to get in some more games. I think he's going to be hard pressed to play regularly once Pouliot is back healthy. Pakarainen, Hendricks and Khaira all seem like more logical 4th liners to me.

Caggiula has had pretty pedestrian production for an offensive player. 4-6-10 in 46 games isn't good. Don't get me wrong, Pouliot has to step it up too. But them's the breaks when one guy is earning 4 mill. He has a longer rope.

:sarcasm:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wonderful first world playoff contending problems to have, worrying about the bottom 3 F. It's been a looong time coming. Personally I'm fine with whatever so long as Pouliot is kept off the ice.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Pouliot DD Kassian is a line of real NHL players with talent who could do damage against softer opponents. Plenty big on the wings as well - nice playoff line. We are in the home stretch of a serious playoff race and giving reps to guys like Caggiula who are still green is not useful. I like Cags but he has not earned the type of minutes he's getting - not at all.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Wonderful first world playoff contending problems to have, worrying about the bottom 3 F. It's been a looong time coming. Personally I'm fine with whatever so long as Pouliot is kept off the ice.

Im not a huge Pouliot guy but he has played well in playoffs and I for one am all for stapling his ass on the third line to get them as much chemistry as possible for round 1!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pouliot DD Kassian is a line of real NHL players with talent who could do damage against softer opponents. Plenty big on the wings as well - nice playoff line. We are in the home stretch of a serious playoff race and giving reps to guys like Caggiula who are still green is not useful. I like Cags but he has not earned the type of minutes he's getting - not at all.

My thoughts exactly.

Looking forward to Pouliots return...this 3rd line has the potential to be a major difference maker in the stretch run and the playoffs.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm optimistic, Ebs - Nuge- Lucic looked good Saturday. If that line breaks loose, look out, that is all we need, cause you know McDavid and Drai are going to be dominating on line 1.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Agreed. Pouliot has the upside of being a really effective player if he finds a way to figure his **** out. Cagguila is Cagguila.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Hockey in march and I still care. Didn't happen in 10 years, I truly forgot how great that feeling is. Go Oil!

It's crazy to think about legitimate March 2017 questions such as:
> Will the Oilers captain win the NHL scoring title?
> Will the Oilers win the division?
> Who will be the Oilers 1st round match-up

Thanks be to the Hockey Gods.
NFLDraftWS-603x250.png

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
DD could be a great fit for Pou when he's back. Pou has good speed and can finish, and DD good vision and passing ability off both sides. French canadian connection too! Really hoping the 3rd line takes some shape with those two playing together down the stretch

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Caggiula looks like a good signing but he needs to be in the AHL IMO. He's just not there yet. Slepyshev is a better fit and better all around right now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree that Caggiula should be sent down in favour of Pouliot, but that line was really good against Detroit so I'd be okay with pausing. They say that Caggs has a great shot in practices. Maybe he'll start burying his chances.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I have a bit of a worry re these college guys signing here and what our front office tells them to get the signing. If they essentially promised Caggulia the big team then the better player might get sent down.

Agreed. But I suspect Caggiula would be the last player signed with such expectations. College players now might look at our roster and think "where do I fit in?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad